Verizon Services and Battery life

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
This could also apply to anyone else from other carriers that also have these apps.

I disabled Slacker and VZW location agents and Navigation. One thing I kept from VZW is VZW Protect but wondering if that is necessary. And if it's not, what prevents the phone from getting attacked hacked or hit with a virus.

And I don't like to install other virus protection services because I've discovered those can be big drains on battery.

Thoughts on this? Trying to disable all bloat over time and think this might be something as well, although I only have it set to scan when I am plugged in and at 2am

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I personally don't install something unless it's from the Play store or I KNOW it's safe, so not worried about "anti virus". There is a built in Android Device Manager...from any computer you can log into it and you will see your device, last location and the options to ring, lock or erase.

I have kept Slacker as I happen to like their service, but am trying to transition to Pandora. As far as the rest of Verizon...because I can't STAND their shadiness and tinkering they've done with my device to sell their services I REFUSE to use them on principle alone. I won't use them for cloud ANYTHING as I trust them as much as I trust Comcast (which is ZERO). So anything Verizon I have disabled in the applications menu and DT Ignites is disabled in Package Disabler Pro.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen the need for virus protection, as I am very careful about what I install.

Regarding bloat, consider getting Package Disabler Pro. It easily takes care of the apps/services/crapware you cannot disable via App Mgr.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm a fan of disabling at the app level where I can because the packages can get you in trouble...but I definitely endorse buying Package Disabler Pro...anything and everything you could dream of shutting down you can...at your own risk of course.

I wanted to add that in my case my phone really NEVER leaves my sight so even my lock screen settings are "lax". I used to do the auto lock when hitting power key but then when I just want to turn the screen off I end up locking the phone, even when I'm in a "smart unlock" location or connection. So now I have the power key simply turn the screen off, default 1 minute screen off, and 10 minutes to "auto lock". Which I don't really get that because I thought the smart lock was supposed to override locking??? In other words, when home I don't want my device to lock. Ever. I thought smart lock would keep my device unlocked when at home all the time regardless of automated lock settings, but that is not the behavior I'm seeing.

Anyway I digress as I usually do...because my phone is always with me, either at home, or in my purse I really don't run the risk of "losing" it. So I'm very content with Android Device Manager as my "OMG where is my phone" moment which I have yet to have...and no virus software since I'm not downloading things willy nilly.

TL;DR get package disabler pro to deactivate the Verizon "protection" which from my experience just slows things down (and anything else you want). Use common sense when downloading apps = no antivirus needed.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm a fan of disabling at the app level where I can because the packages can get you in trouble...but I definitely endorse buying Package Disabler Pro...anything and everything you could dream of shutting down you can...at your own risk of course.

I wanted to add that in my case my phone really NEVER leaves my sight so even my lock screen settings are "lax". I used to do the auto lock when hitting power key but then when I just want to turn the screen off I end up locking the phone, even when I'm in a "smart unlock" location or connection. So now I have the power key simply turn the screen off, default 1 minute screen off, and 10 minutes to "auto lock". Which I don't really get that because I thought the smart lock was supposed to override locking??? In other words, when home I don't want my device to lock. Ever. I thought smart lock would keep my device unlocked when at home all the time regardless of automated lock settings, but that is not the behavior I'm seeing.

Anyway I digress as I usually do...because my phone is always with me, either at home, or in my purse I really don't run the risk of "losing" it. So I'm very content with Android Device Manager as my "OMG where is my phone" moment which I have yet to have...and no virus software since I'm not downloading things willy nilly.

TL;DR get package disabler pro to deactivate the Verizon "protection" which from my experience just slows things down (and anything else you want). Use common sense when downloading apps = no antivirus needed.
So I have that app and use it conservatively. I don't deactivate stuff I don't know.

So everyone seems to think it's ok to disable VZ Protect without affecting phone in negative way?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have VZ protect disabled and have seen no ill effects for doing so. And I don't recall doing it, but my phone is associated with Android Device Manager. When I go to the Android Device Manager link my phone shows up and I can "Ring", "Lock" or "Erase" it.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have VZ protect disabled and have seen no ill effects for doing so. And I don't recall doing it, but my phone is associated with Android Device Manager. When I go to the Android Device Manager link my phone shows up and I can "Ring", "Lock" or "Erase" it.
Ok. Thank you for info.