Would you buy a GNote8 today?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
As of today no. But only because they announced the new note Pro line of tablets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what the new Pro Line has to do with buying a Note 8. If I just wanted a 8inch tablet I would look at the L6 8.3 on Google play. I bought a Note 8 last week because of the digitizer. Most at what Samsung announced this week has been known for weeks.

Samsung Will probably Come out with a Pro Note 8 in late Spring but I need a tablet Now. I am also not interested in a Small windows based tablet. I have a Surface Pro and don't find windows 8.1 that great with a digitizer. I find the Note is much easier to Navigate.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I just got one yesterday! Haven't had a chance to really do anything, but I also have a Note 2, so I know pretty much what to expect. Looking forward to it...the pen is king. Oh, I did do some typing on it...the keyboard in portrait mode is absolutely fantastic for me.

TechBob

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I saw this post and just had to reply. I just bought my second Galaxy Note 8. Had one for several months along with an iPad 3 (nice but never used it, too confining), an 11 inch Lenovo Windows 8 Lynx K3011W (a very capable tablet, just too big) and later an iPad Mini (I wanted to like this, but it is a terrible device, might as well get my Palm Pilot out). I am a computer consultant and had client related reasons for having the Windows and Apple products. At the end of last year I decided to consolidate down to one and chose the new Dell Venue 8 Pro with optional stylus. Not good. Excellent tablet but the stylus is just not finished.

I too have seen the Asus Vivotab Note 8 and it could be the ideal tablet, but after the disappointing results with the Dell I am not buying any more tablets without reading comments from satisfied users. So I am going back to the tablet I loved the most and had the best experience with. It did everything I asked it in a responsive fashion. Yes, it is only 4.2, but it works well. And as a person that uses it to take notes, I like the S Note app better than One Note (not much more, but I get a cleaner screen to take notes.) And as a owner and user of the Note 3, I can say that I and many other Note 3 users like the S Note app better on the Note 8 than the Note 3. So YES to the Galaxy Note 8.0. It is a keeper. Even if I get another Windows 8 tablet I will not likely quickly sell this one.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a brand new note 8 fir $279 on ebay. I have two lg gpads which are great and a Nexus 7 2013 that i rarely use anymore. Its just too small and the battery sux. My wife has a samsung galaxy 8.0 that i really like. I think i'll make great use of the note's note taking ability for my work. Plus it was a bargain.

rvgarryj

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hands down would buy the Note 8 again. No stylus comes close.

Note taking is unbelievable but I too have the Note 2 so I knew what I was getting into. The Note 2 is so amazing but for taking notes in meetings and a more fully functional paper replacement I can't imagine something more perfect. The only challenging part has been finding the perfect case but I've been using a bulky defender from Otterbox and dropped it twice where it would have been ugly in another case so I'm reluctant to give that up.

The screen is absolutely perfect for watching movies and TV through Netflix or Amazon Prime or whatever your app of choice happens to be.

The stylus is so much more too when you explore all it can do.

No other device comes close from what I have tried.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I had the original 10.1. Sold it. Was talked into something else. Hate it. Selling it and no loss on money. Got the 8.0. Love it. Knew I would from having the Note2 phone. I only want Samsung

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

jenoola

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I definitely would recommend the 8.0 as the most portable tablet, while still being just big enough to see an A4 pdf on screen (though obviously it's easier to zoom to read it). I use mine extensively for taking notes at seminars. I have used the OneNote app for this, but actually prefer Papyrus now. I write in landscape as that is the easiest way to have the screen (nearly) the width of an A4 ruled pad. I do actually use it for my phone as well (with a bluetooth earpiece) but some people find it a touch too big for that.
But apart from taking handwritten notes from scratch, the best thing I find, is being able to mark up pdf documents - ie seminar notes and slides etc really easily. The stylus is just brilliant for being able to manage large quantities of documents without having to print them out to highlight them first.

Gav508

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my Note 8 last week and really like it. I got a great deal on it $229, and at that price it was a no brainier. I have a Ipad 4 32 gig with retina already and though I'm not bashing Apple, I like being able to do things on the Note that Apple won't allow on their Ipad. I also have a Galaxy S4 and love being able to transfer things back and forth with WiFi direct.

So my answer is yes, I really like the Note.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had 2 Notes 8's...one was AT&T LTE. They were very very decent indeed but I would NOT buy one today except at a vastly reduced price. I would rather buy what I bought. An iPad Mini Retina LTE. With any stylus that you like and PenUltimate the note-taking is certainly nice on a device with 326ppi. I know what forum I'm on but I'm just say'n. The Note 8 would have to be $180-$200 NEW before I would even consider getting one today.

Sent from my liberated iPad Air LTE 

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I dumped my overpriced mini retina with the world's worst and lamest OS. The Note 8 is far superior as of course is android. I do agree that the original price of $399 was as out of line as are the Ipad prices. But i bought my Note 8 about two weeks ago for 279. And the Spen and related software is far superior than any gerry-rigged ap that ipad offers. So yes by all means buy a Note 8 today. It is truly advanced. I also own 2 lg gpads, both great.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I dumped my overpriced mini retina with the world's worst and lamest OS. The Note 8 is far superior as of course is android. I do agree that the original price of $399 was as out of line as are the Ipad prices. But i bought my Note 8 about two weeks ago for 279. And the Spen and related software is far superior than any gerry-rigged ap that ipad offers. So yes by all means buy a Note 8 today. It is truly advanced. I also own 2 lg gpads, both great.

Your opinion about iOS is not unique among these forums. I don't find iOS to be the, how did you put it, "world's worst OS". I think the philosophies between iOS and android are designed to be very different as opposed to two different solutions to the same problem.

I believe android is kind of like plain lettuce allowing the user to put the toppings on to flavor it to their choice.

I believe iOS is more like lobster with melted butter, and we know that not everyone likes lobster.

Another perspective is that while android allows you to choose an OS experience on a device of your choosing to iOS is designed more to disappear and be out of the way of the apps.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

Last edited:

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
It may not have an HD screen but I still love my note 8.0...use it as my main tablet now till i get the note 12.2. I take it to work everyday and watch NBA games on it at night.Just love the size or it when taking it on the go. Even when I get the 12.2..the note 8.0 will still be a device I will use alot.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It may not have an HD screen but I still love my note 8.0...use it as my main tablet now till i get the note 12.2. I take it to work everyday and watch NBA games on it at night.Just love the size or it when taking it on the go. Even when I get the 12.2..the note 8.0 will still be a device I will use alot.

The 8" size is really good. As much as I LOVE my iPad Air my iPad rMini is a more convenient size for out and about.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

Last edited:

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd still purchase a Note 8. I enjoy mine so much, I rarely touch my iPad anymore. I like being able to save any type of file to my device's internal storage or SDcard. I can easily attach any type of file to an email. I have a Samsung OTG cable that allows me to read and write files to and from my USB jump drive. I also use it as a universal remote to control my cable box and TV, using the IR blaster. Thr S-Pen is also awesome. It allows me to hover and reveal hidden links and menus on certain Web pages, that's impossible to do on other touch screen devices.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has great products. I can't see using anything else. Very happy

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

nnthemperor

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely No! Found it less useful for the main purpose I bought it for. Annotating pdfs is a great pain, I've had to revert to my 11" windows 8.1 Asus tablet. Don't get me wrong using it as a memo pad has been perfect in snote.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely No! Found it less useful for the main purpose I bought it for. Annotating pdfs is a great pain, I've had to revert to my 11" windows 8.1 Asus tablet. Don't get me wrong using it as a memo pad has been perfect in snote.

Was the annotating pain a software issue or a hardware issue? What app were you using?

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

nnthemperor

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
EZPDF READER & Repligo reader. The problem was that, coming from a Windows 8 tablet I was used to opening up a pdf file and anotating without having to shuttle back and forth selecting and unselecting inking buttonst and the annotations saved automatically to my skydrive. But on the note 8.0 I need to select the anotate button, ink, unselect, pan , select anotate again. Quite frustrating. And I can't seem to save directly to my skydrive. I first have to save , exit the app, then look for it in the my file app and tgen upload to skydrive. In which case it creates a duplicate of the original pdf file.