Has anyone tried handwritten notes with the new Evernote update?

jwdink

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm contemplating purchasing a Note 8.0. I would be doing so pretty much entirely for the purpose of taking handwritten lecture notes. Importantly, I want these to sync seamlessly back-and-forth to my PC, which I would use for pretty much every single other task.

Up until recently, that hasn't really been in the cards: if you wanted to take handwritten notes on the Note, there were plenty of apps, but they only supported syncing via exporting-to-image. So you could export a handwritten equation to Evernote in png format, but if you ever had to go back later to tweak it slightly you were out of luck.

Recently, that changed, as Evernote now allows for handwritten notes. However, I haven't been able to really test out this feature very well on my small, digitizer-less phone.

How is this feature working for people on their tablets? Is it easy/effortless/seamless to switch back and forth? Or kind of cumbersome? How does stuff like erasing work? Etc.

Would love any info you all have, as this will help me make my purchasing decision. Thanks!!

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Its very responsive and fluid, just as if you're writing in s note. My only issue is I like having lined paper templates to write on, however evernote just gives you a page of small dots. It's still a very good experience though and I enjoy it.

brecklundin

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm contemplating purchasing a Note 8.0. I would be doing so pretty much entirely for the purpose of taking handwritten lecture notes. Importantly, I want these to sync seamlessly back-and-forth to my PC, which I would use for pretty much every single other task.

Up until recently, that hasn't really been in the cards: if you wanted to take handwritten notes on the Note, there were plenty of apps, but they only supported syncing via exporting-to-image. So you could export a handwritten equation to Evernote in png format, but if you ever had to go back later to tweak it slightly you were out of luck.

Recently, that changed, as Evernote now allows for handwritten notes. However, I haven't been able to really test out this feature very well on my small, digitizer-less phone.

How is this feature working for people on their tablets? Is it easy/effortless/seamless to switch back and forth? Or kind of cumbersome? How does stuff like erasing work? Etc.

Would love any info you all have, as this will help me make my purchasing decision. Thanks!!

Thanks for asking this question. That was a glaring omission in Evernote & I missed the addition. :)

But for notes in meetings, seminars, courses I use an app called STYLUS WRITE. For me it's by far the fastest(change pens/colors without even thinking about it. Making insertions in existing notesis a breeze. Plus there is a Windows version & I think iOS version, file format is HTML (the dev's website was written in the app), bookmarks and other goodies. If you check it out watch the demo video that really shows how it works.

There are some features not currently present but I have not kept
up to date on those. The ability to search needs help but bookmarks help there abit. There are several threads dedicated to STYLUS WRITE on XDADEV so search a bit.

For me it is the ideal app for notes.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8.0 in Tapatalk HD

CMZ_DL

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
To be honest i have not tried many note taking apps that take advantage of the S pen capability. However i do use evernote which is truly cross platform incl a desktop pc client. Although I find the handwriting feature handy in evernote my opinion is its not as robust as id want it to be to rely completely on it. I use a 2 app method that has not failed me yet! Download the stylus beta keyboard and use this as default keyobard, its quite easy to switch keyboard on the fly if youd like to revert to a qwerty setup. I use stylus beta keyboard + Evernote for my note taking needs. Evernote is pretty powerful you can make notebooks and categorize your note like that. Using my 2 app combo is almost flawless because your input is in your handwriting and the output on evernote is written type like what your reading on this post. Perfect for me because it can recognize my chicken scratch and then types it out for me because often times when i read back on my notes i cant exactly read them LOL. Hope this gave you a little clarity

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana