Rumor: Note 8 won't be called a "Note"

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Well, if you're waiting for a Note 8

That really didn't say a lot that we haven't already heard, beyond the first two sentences! What a waste of page space... why doesn't Samsung ask us - I mean, all of us - not just a sampling. I went back to my Note 5. I still think the 7 was the best phone they ever built (besides the obvious single issue)! I agree that the name HAS to go but the phone LINE must stay! I will definitely buy an 8, provided Samsung can show me they've done their homework and created a SAFE, well thought out, 2017 pen based Flagship phone!

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. You can call it whatever you want, I'll buy the next one. I still say they should just keep it simple and stick to the letters - A, J, S, N & X. There may be a K too. Who knows? 😉

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

That really didn't say a lot that we haven't already heard, beyond the first two sentences! What a waste of page space... why doesn't Samsung ask us - I mean, all of us - not just a sampling. I went back to my Note 5. I still think the 7 was the best phone they ever built (besides the obvious single issue)! I agree that the name HAS to go but the phone LINE must stay! I will definitely buy an 8, provided Samsung can show me they've done their homework and created a SAFE, well thought out, 2017 pen based Flagship phone!
I also went back to the Note5 today it was my only alternative!

and yes I will be the first on line to buy a Note8.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Judging by the mentality of some of those that buy into this [report out of Russia?] Farce boggles the mind - here's a random quote from the above linked article:

"the Note was a terrible step in the wrong direction. I believe the phablet craze will die out and people will laugh at the absurdity of giant phones. Mobiles were becoming less mobile."

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

I just figured it wouldnt be because there was a tablet named the galaxy note 8.0

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Judging by the mentality of some of those that buy into this [report out of Russia?] Farce boggles the mind - here's a random quote from the above linked article:

"the Note was a terrible step in the wrong direction. I believe the phablet craze will die out and people will laugh at the absurdity of giant phones. Mobiles were becoming less mobile."

You'd think that was written in 2012.

And as far as the name change, I don't see the point. It's the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. So by that same logic, they'd have to drop the "Galaxy" moniker as well. I don't think all that many people really differentiate between a Samsung Galaxy S7 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 7. Maybe I just don't have enough confidence in people and their comprehension.

seangprice

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

Went to a 64BG N5 today as well. Awesome phone with nearly all the same features. The N5 should hold me over until the next "Note" or whatever they'll call it is released. Personally if I were advising Samsung, tare down the N7s, install a new but slightly smaller battery, new controller and market the old N7s as a special device but cheaper. I'd buy one all over again.

startac7868

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just call it N8

If the "Note" moniker has been permanently tarnished, then take a cue from their other products. Since Samsung wanted to have the Note version number in parity with the S's, then why not the name as well. Turn "Note" simply into "N". Thus their 2 flagship products are Nx and Sx where x is the version number. N8 and S8 could be pronounced "nate" and "sate".

What does S stand for any ways?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I couldn't agree more with you! They need to keep the line going - even if they do indeed change its name.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Only the media/internet yoyo's are saying the Note name is tarnished. As far as I'm concerned, it's not. Is it tarnished for all you users on this forum?

The Notes are a long-established, reputable phone. It had a glitch in the Note 7, and for that Samsung should get rid of the line and make believe it's going to matter? Ridiculous! If anything got tarnished, it's the Samsung name. Nothing else.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

LOL! 2011 called, they want their "big phones are dead" talking points back. :D

Seriously, even Apple (who used this as a talking point for years) gave in and offer a large-ish screen in the "Plus" line. I cannot believe that 6 years in people are still calling larger-screen phones a "craze".

There are plenty of people who want a smaller screen, and thankfully there are plenty of phones to choose from at that screen size, too. :)