Difficult to return to the "Note" series

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If they include a user removable battery and a microSD card slot, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I had the Note 3 and LOVED that phone. I wanted to get the 5 but didn't like the fact that it didn't have what I wanted, so I searched for a phone that did. Of the ones that had what I wanted, I went with the LG V10. It's a great phone but it is no Note, IMHO. Convinced the wife to get the Note 7 before the issues and she loved the phone. She too can't wait for the 8.

I felt more betrayed when the pulled the battery/microSD card crap. Battery issues aside, I think the note series "should" bounce back with no problem, again just my humble opinion.

Again, for the waterproof/repellent feature alone, they'll never go back to a removable battery (they can't) - I think the SD Card is back and should be with the Note 8 - I had two Note 7's, original and replacement (LOVED them) - now I'm running a waterproof, crash proof (sort of) S7 Active (AT&T exclusive) with a 4000 mAh battery while waiting for the Note 8 to make it's debut!

km04

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Again, for the waterproof/repellent feature alone, they'll never go back to a removable battery (they can't) - I think the SD Card is back and should be with the Note 8 - I had two Note 7's, original and replacement (LOVED them) - now I'm running a waterproof, crash proof (sort of) S7 Active (AT&T exclusive) with a 4000 mAh battery while waiting for the Note 8 to make it's debut!

I hear ya, but the waterproof/repellent thing really isn't a feature I feel I need. I have had many cell phones in my life and have never gotten one wet or dropped one in water(now watch, just cause I said it out loud the cell phone gods are gonna make me pay....BIG TIME). I would much rather have the two features I mentioned and take my chances with the water hazards of life.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya, but the waterproof/repellent thing really isn't a feature I feel I need. I have had many cell phones in my life and have never gotten one wet or dropped one in water(now watch, just cause I said it out loud the cell phone gods are gonna make me pay....BIG TIME). I would much rather have the two features I mentioned and take my chances with the water hazards of life.
Laugh.jpg

I'm a firm believer in "Knock on Wood" - if you say something that you shouldn't, knock on wood (REAL wood, not the fake crap) - it's always worked for me!

I'm an avid Beach Camper, as you may be able to tell from my "Beach Truck II" Avatar, so waterproof, dustproof, saltproof... hell, anything you can do to help corrosion because the Atlantic Ocean loves to eat up whatever you put near it! When I watched the video for the S7 Active, the guy actually skipped the phone across the water in an Atlantic Ocean Salt Marsh and it sank. I laughed like hell. Sure you can dry it out... but there's so much salt in that water that when it crystallizes, the inside of that phone is going to be one giant salt short circuit!!! I bought one anyway because I didn't plan on skipping it across salt marshes!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Ill have to wait and see what the Note 8 has then Ill make a decision from there. I'm a strong Note supporter

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Same sentiment here! Never had a need for water resistance, even if I did it can be added via a case. Whereas with a sealed embedded battery I actually lose capabilities (freedoms) that have no workarounds (ex. getting back to an immediate 100% charge whenever I want, never actually having to tether the phone itself to a charging source, or easily replacing a degraded or bad battery).

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Note 7 had same camera as s7e

I am aware of that but after conducting many photography experiments when I had both my Note 7 and S7e the end product from the Note 7 was noticeably better. This wasn't only my opinion either. I had other people look at the results and they came to the same conclusion. I can't explain it but it is what it is. :)

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I just posted this on the Note 5 Forum in a Verizon discussion where it was more appropriate but thought it would be funny here too. Why on earth would I want to spend $950+ for a Note 8 when I still have this in my closet from 1990?

Circa_1990.jpg

Laugh_b.jpg

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I will just keep Note 4 ad infinitum. If the latest-greatest fails to have a removable battery. It's not like there is a shortage of them. there are tons of NIB Note 4 floating around at reasonable prices since they are several generations behind.

If the one I have breaks, I will get another Note 4.

Lots of like NIB ZeroLemon batteries floating around too for Note 4 at 40 bucks or less.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
If the Note 8 gets great reviews and no issues, I'll gladly buy it... as long as it's not much larger than the Note 5 that I have, which I will keep as a backup.
The S Pen feature in the Note comes in handy often.

I think this is what a lot of people are going to be doing. Wait for all the reviews to come out, see whats good, what's bad and what doesn't blow up and then make a decision. I'm 99% sure everything will be perfect with the Note 8 but just in case, i would wait a couple days or weeks. :)

Regarding the size, seeing as the Galaxy S8+ is already 6.2" inches. The Note series cant be smaller now so I'm guessing it will be a 6.3" inch phone. Which will most likely be larger than the Note 5. Lets wait and see what we get :D

Im still really excited for it, no matter what the screen size. Just have to hold one.

Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I hope the note isn't as narrow as the s7edge but made longer. . I like the note 5 screen size and overall dimension.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought a used S7edge so that I could jump on the next Note. No hesitation for me.

I thought Samsung did really well by N7 owners who chose to stay with them. I like my S7E, and am hoping Samsung will have some sort of incentive program for former N7 users....a girl can dream.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Difficult to return to the "Note" series

I will definitely be getting the next note. I was sad to have to give up my no twice, but that won't prevent me from getting the new note. The only thing is I won't get it when it's first released. I'll wait like I used to before getting a new phone. The n7 was the first phone I've ever gotten the first day of release. And even though the recall was a big bummer I still ended up getting a pretty close replacement and a great phone in the s edge 7

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I bought a used S7edge so that I could jump on the next Note. No hesitation for me.

And this right here is why Samsung should step up and work with the carriers of those affected by the recall to allow them to upgrade if they so choose. The only reason I even dodged this bullet is because I never turn in my old phones. I just simply re-activated my Note Edge....

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Note 8, day 1... no question. I will have to pay off the remaining next payments on my Note 5, but I will own it on day 1.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have a 7 edge on Jump (not JOD) so I can jump once that's half paid off. I got it on Jump at the special 488 price so this won't be an issue

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I see people make this argument quite a bit. The S5 was water resistant and IP67 rated and had a removable battery, so water and dust resistant with a removable battery can be done.

notefreak

Trusted Member
Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
I have to agree with you, OP. My Note4 is failing. I dread the day when it finally does if there is no Note8 around. Thankfully I think I could live with LG6 if it will be cheap enough.