Cell standby suddenly using too much battery

george99

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone
I recently went out of town and about halfway into the trip, my battery life on my edge decreased dramatically. Nothing is waking the phone or keeping it awake, and I didn't update anything at all.

I discovered through Gsam that it is the phone radio using a lot of juice. On normal days when I use my phone, its at about 15%. When the phone sits overnight, the phone radio used 80% of the battery. Before this, I didn't even notice the radio was using battery.

Before, I used to be able to let my phone sits overnight and it would drop 2%. Today I woke up and it dropped from 100% to 78% just from the radio. Literally nothing woke the phone up all night too. Its dropping around 2 or 3 percent an hour now. Before this, i could throw the phone in my bag and come home with 98% at the end of the dsy. My signal isn't great at home, but its always been not great, even when I got amazing battery life.

I did a factory reset which didn't help, I've turned the phone off and on again, charged it when it was off, took the battery out and nothing changes.

Anyone have any idea why my phone radio is suddenly going wacky? Maybe something different with the signal my phone is receiving?

I couldn't find any solutions online. I can try and post screenshots of my battery stats.

Thanks!

edit: here are some screenshots. Battery dropped from 100-78% with around 5 mins of screen time. The rest of the screen time and use is from me looking for solutions online
Screenshot_2015-03-29-12-33-40.jpgScreenshot_2015-03-29-12-21-25.jpgScreenshot_2015-03-29-12-21-32.jpgScreenshot_2015-03-29-12-21-38.jpg

Last edited:

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Boot into safe mode, which disables 3rd party apps, to see if you have a rogue or runaway app. According to one screen shot, cell standby used 21%of the 21% if my math is correct, cell standby used only 3.5 % of the 21 % used in almost 11 hours. In the other s/s 18% of the total 33% is about 5% in almost 11 hours. Maybe its just me but tha doesn't seem unreasonable.
Your "other apps" used 44% that's what i would be looking at.
uploadfromtaptalk1427657497392.jpg

george99

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
You are right, I took these screenshots after using the phone for a while. I should've taken them right after I woke up to show the phone radio using 80% of the battery while the phone is idle. I know its normal for the radio to use the bulk of the battery juice while I'm not using the phone because its the only thing on, its just that the radio used to not use 18% of the battery on its own.

Should I leave the phone alone after I boot into safe mode?

edit: phone is in safe mode, I'll let it sit for a while and see what happens with the battery

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Then i would definitely, suspect an app using the radio, maybe in the background. I wish you would have gone on an tapped the 44% app usage, the see just what was using the most there.

george99

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I knew there was a screen I forgot to screenshot! It wasn't anything out of the ordinary, so I probably ignored it. There were no third party apps showing on it. If it continues to be a problem, I'll look more into it. I wonder which apps would need access to the radio, hmm. I'll have to go through them all when I'm through testing safe mode.

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I recently noticed my note3 being awake constantly, it was something called, unified daemon, it said that it was for the weather widget's and similar apps that apps that update constantly in the background. Gsam caught it. I fixed it. LOL. And its a built in process.

Last edited:

george99

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I wish it was as easy as that!! Safe mode seems to not improve anything so far. I have no idea what's going on with this stupid thing. Its so irritating. Maybe one of the stock apps is using the radio more

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, its very possible. Like unified daemon. ..but it was actually AccuWeather polling, or whatever it does, but unified daemon was the only thing using constant battery, i had to do quite a bit of research to figure it out, a win for me, 0 for AccuWeather.

george99

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Stupid thing...I love this phone but this battery is bugging the heck out of me! I'll see how the battery fares while I'm at school using it through a normal day.

In the top left corner of Gsam, in the circle with the battery info it says "-445 Ma" for example. Is this the current discharging rate of the battery?

Bong Bubble

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the battery life really sux on this note edge. Theres got to be some tweaks to really prolong battery life. Maybe Lollipop will help? Come on Samsung make a note edge extended battery

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Stupid thing...I love this phone but this battery is bugging the heck out of me! I'll see how the battery fares while I'm at school using it through a normal day.

In the top left corner of Gsam, in the circle with the battery info it says "-445 Ma" for example. Is this the current discharging rate of the battery?
Mine says 450, not -450.

george99

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the battery life really sux on this note edge. Theres got to be some tweaks to really prolong battery life. Maybe Lollipop will help? Come on Samsung make a note edge extended battery

I really love this phone, but it's true. The battery sucks. It looks like samsung put Note 4/Edge lollipop updates on the back burner. It's stupid that Galaxy S4s and Note 3s are getting updated quicker than a phone 6 months old.

Here are some updated screenshots. It might be a little better today, but I only have 30 or so minutes of sporadic screen on time. I used to get around 30 minutes from 100-90%. I guess I will just have to suck it up because nothing is showing up in app usage, and nothing is waking it. Maybe it will improve over time. Or maybe something is wrong with my hardware. I guess airplane mode is a fix in a pinch, but then I don't receive messages or calls.
screen1.jpgscreen2.jpg

george99

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
My stats are still the same today. Does anyone know of an app that tests if your phone radio is good or not? I mean it works, but its the only thing thats looking like is using too much battery. Maybe I can figure it out if I root the phone and download wake lock detector

I mean, I'm at an hour of screen on time with 62% battery left. I used to be at 80% with the same use.

SoCalBIGmike

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I have the same issues on AT&T. I now hate this phone. Always had Samsung and this phone has failed me. I even have have a Class 10 Samsung MicroSD card in and the lag is horrendous.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My stats are still the same today. Does anyone know of an app that tests if your phone radio is good or not? I mean it works, but its the only thing thats looking like is using too much battery. Maybe I can figure it out if I root the phone and download wake lock detector

I mean, I'm at an hour of screen on time with 62% battery left. I used to be at 80% with the same use.
When I first got this note3, i was trying to use app storage to sd card. I moved everything back to the phone, unmounted the sd card, pulled out the sd card, did a reboot, cleared the cache, remounted it, rebooted, wiped cache, it quit using the battery up. don't know if ths will help, but it worked for me.

george99

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
So the SD card was the problem in your case?

I think mine is getting worse. At about 1.8-2% discharge per hour. Right now I'm at 69% with 36 mins of screen on time

Last edited:

george99

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issues on AT&T. I now hate this phone. Always had Samsung and this phone has failed me. I even have have a Class 10 Samsung MicroSD card in and the lag is horrendous.

Posted via the Android Central App
Well I'm glad im not alone here. Maybe lollipop will help some...if it ever comes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11