Is your Pro feeling out of date?

xpetexkx

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking of getting a Pro 12.2 but then i realized it was released in 2014. Do you guys feel like it is starting to feel outdated? I have no idea if Samsung is making a new Pro any time soon. Wondering if it is worth the investment now? Thanks

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I thought so when I got the Edge. But I'll want the note stuff when I get the new note....I am scared that Samsung will quit sending updates to me though. Haven't got marshmallow yet, BUT seriously? I don't even have marshmallow on my AT&T Note 5. So not worried....yet...

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It's not a powerhouse by today's standards of flagship devices and I wouldn't pay what I paid at release for it now but I definitely enjoy using it daily for browsing, YouTube, email and note taking. All depends upon your use case, if gaming is important then keeping up with current hardware specs will be too.

nabour

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I use this device every day. I have a Dell XPS13, a Samsung Note Phone, a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 .... but the device that I reach for most often is the Note Pro 12.2 . I love the ability to take notes, and sync between all devices. Attached to a logitech keyboard it is functional in all things but gaming. I don't care that it's not up to marshmallow. I have mine rooted and it works great.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got one of these refurb off ebay and it is a tad slow compared to my Surface 3, but for what I'm going to use it for (media consumption and note taking) at work I think it will be fine. Wish it had a kickstand for bedtime Netflix, but a pillow will work.

xpetexkx

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I went and looked on Ebay. Saw a Factory Refurb for $319 and a brand new sealed box for $599. How much different could they be?

Walter Turns

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
I just bought mine 3 months ago. It is my work tablet that replaced the original surface rt I had been using for a couple of years. I got it for the note taking, PDF editing, and word document editing. It does what I need it to do with the bonus that it is good for watching netflix, browsing, ect... I am not into games at all so have no idea how it would be for gaming.

Posted via the Android Central App

xpetexkx

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Did you get a new or refurb? how is the speed with PDF's? any lag? does the microsoft suite get a current update?

I just bought mine 3 months ago. It is my work tablet that replaced the original surface rt I had been using for a couple of years. I got it for the note taking, PDF editing, and word document editing. It does what I need it to do with the bonus that it is good for watching netflix, browsing, ect... I am not into games at all so have no idea how it would be for gaming.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Did you get a new or refurb? how is the speed with PDF's? any lag? does the microsoft suite get a current update?
These are all subjective things even if on the surface they don't appear to be; pdf lag is dependent upon size and complexity of the files so one person may feel the device is adequate whilst others may not, and frequency of updates of Microsoft Office may be frequent (I see one roll out around once a month or so) but if a feature is missing on Office for Android the frequency of updates may not matter if the feature never gets added.

I will say this, if LectureNotes and a handful of my other favorite android applications worked on windows 10 I would upgrade to a surface pro 4 in a heartbeat, but as it stands today I love my note pro and intend to run it until it dies on me.

Walter Turns

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
I actually liked my surface rt. But, I wanted note taking capability that it lacked. I will say that on large PDF files there was allot more lag on the rt then the note 12.2 and there is a learning curve going from Windows to Android. I purchased a new note 12.2. The Hanscom office has allot more features the the Word on Android has. You can not ink on Word at least I have not figured out how to, you can on Hanscom, so far no problems saving in Hanscom opening the document at work with full windows. I use adobe to ink PDF files though I have problems with highlighting and erasing sometimes. And of course everytime you open Hanscom it updates, but it is a good.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
If someone is looking to always update, looking for the latest function, greater speed .............. the NP 12.2 is not for them. However, as a workhorse, reliable, highly functional, a day-to-day machine that can get work and routine personal activities done ............ look no further. The large screen is more than good enough to watch movies and TV through my TiVo any where I have a WiFi connection.

If they never updated to Marshmallow I'd still be perfectly satisfied. My first priority was the screen size. Perfect. Unlike other buys, I really am not looking for any OS updates. As long as my apps continue to improve, that's all I need.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I've also noticed that the wifi is much better on the note than my Surface 3, so that's a huge plus in my book.
I was having to tether my S3 to my phone to get consistent signal in my bedroom. I do miss having that sweet Surface Kickstand.

AirborneGeek

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Hardware out of date, not at all. The software on the other hand, especially next to my Note 5 is looking long in the tooth. At least keep the individual apps updated if you won't update the OS. An update to Marshmallow would be awesome though.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I bought my note pro 12.2 back in March 2015 and i dont think if feels outdated. I still love it. I just wish Samsung would come up with a new 12.2 pro update :)

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I got mine (verizon) a couple of years ago and have been on and off using it. I'll go months without touching it and then get it out and rediscover how awesome it is. The latest update (5.1.1) has me excited to use it all over again, and I just picked up the Logitech case w/keyboard two days ago. It is now set up to be my "go everywhere" device. I can work from anywhere, which is the best and worst part of my job, but need a device that I can work from that is also easy to carry with me. With this new case/keyboard, I can use the Note Pro as a laptop for most of the things I would have to do while away from my office.

So, the Note Pro is not getting old or tired for me. It hums right on through all the task I've put it through without issue. I hope it can keep up for a while longer, not sure what I'd replace it with if I had to today.