Completely dead Note Pro 12.2

azzicles

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

I purchased a Note Pro in pretty damn good condition on the outside, and perfect on the inside. (So no liquid damage).

The fault is that it's dead. I can't get any response out of the display, speakers, vibrator, notification LED, etc.

What I've done:

- Re-soldered battery connector and verified pin contacts.
- Every vol+power+home combo that exists.
- Re-seat all connectors and ribbon cables and verify lower LCD connector.

The only life it has is the chip that's under the can that's closest to the SD card gets warm (only when connected to charger (5V/2A)) and the battery voltage slowly increases when read by my multimeter. When I purchased the tablet I think the battery voltage was around 2.6v. I trickle charged it up to currently 3.75v. Still no life. 2.6v is very low for li-ion but I don't want to spend money on a battery if there's another fault. I have no bench supply.

One more thing I noticed. There's two blue wires coming from the battery. One of them measured between ground gave me some stable voltage, like 3.5mv or something like that. The other blue wire is all over the place. I can't get a reading from it, and I was measuring from the white connector so I know I was making contact. I'm not sure if this could be a fault stopping the tablet booting?

Is there any test points on the PCB I can check to diagnose a fault location?

Anyway, has anyone got any ideas? :p

I've tried everything. :(

Thanks!

azzicles

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Anyone?

I'm trying to power it from bench supply now (via battery in) at 3.8v. When I turn the power on it draws nothing. If I hold power for one second as normal it begins drawing 168ma and about one or two seconds later it drops to 148ma and is dead. :(

Any repair techs?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
A dead tablet with unknown history is impossible to troubleshoot without spare parts such as working mainboard, USB port flex, and full charged battery.
- A working mainboard of Tab Pro or Note Pro can tell if the display is working.
- A full charged battery can turn on a tablet with a defective charging circuit.
- A working USB charging port can turn on a tablet with bad USB port ( lucky case ).
These are just few examples to troubleshoot a dead tablet with unknown history.
But in your case, I can guess the mainboard is dead. A dead display will have no images but you can hear the sound or the light of two buttons when the tablet is ON.
How much you paid for this Note Pro ? If it's under $150, then you can try to fix it
With a working mainboard and battery I can troubleshoot quickly the source of problem from a dead tablet.

Last edited:

azzicles

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply,

I paid AUD $50. :)

I've removed the battery and I'm supplying the battery input terminals from a bench supply at 3.8v.

When powered on (Holding power for 1 second) it just draws ~150ma and does nothing. No sound, vibration or button LED's.

I wish I had another SM-P9XX to troubleshoot but I don't :(

Would you know where I could find the P905 service manual? I've found P900 and P901 SM but the board layout is different on the P905 vs P900/1 so I can't locate and test components / check voltage around cpu, etc since I don't know where to probe. :(

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s