Phone says battery is charging when it's NOT plugged in.

tootallcotton

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been having all kinds of problems with my new Samsung Galaxy Precedent. Last night, I unplugged it from the charger to carry it into kitchen. When I did it beeped - like it normally does when you plug the charger in. I looked to see what the beep was and the battery icon was "scrolling or moving" as if to indicate it was charging. How can it be charging when it's NOT plugged in? I plugged it back in and nothing changed. I turned it off and back on. I now can't turn it on without it being plugged into charger. Also took battery out and also did a factory restore. It's crazy! I have no idea. I'm new to the android phone world as this is my first.
So I left it charging all night, this morning grabbed phone to head to work and the screen says "charged" and has the little plug-in icon next to it like it does when it's charging. Again the phone had been unplugged. So I come on to work and about halfway thru the day it's still saying "charged" which is unusual b/c the battery usually goes down by mid afternoon. So I turned the phone off and back on and it was showing the battery icon at the top corner indicates that it's charging (yet not plugged in). And the % was now showing on the unlock screen saying 18% so I plugged it in.
Please tell me how the battery charging/not charging can seem to be reversed????
Thanks in advance for anything you can help me with.

PoorBoy52760

Banned
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been having all kinds of problems with my new Samsung Galaxy Precedent. Last night, I unplugged it from the charger to carry it into kitchen. When I did it beeped - like it normally does when you plug the charger in. I looked to see what the beep was and the battery icon was "scrolling or moving" as if to indicate it was charging. How can it be charging when it's NOT plugged in? I plugged it back in and nothing changed. I turned it off and back on. I now can't turn it on without it being plugged into charger. Also took battery out and also did a factory restore. It's crazy! I have no idea. I'm new to the android phone world as this is my first.
So I left it charging all night, this morning grabbed phone to head to work and the screen says "charged" and has the little plug-in icon next to it like it does when it's charging. Again the phone had been unplugged. So I come on to work and about halfway thru the day it's still saying "charged" which is unusual b/c the battery usually goes down by mid afternoon. So I turned the phone off and back on and it was showing the battery icon at the top corner indicates that it's charging (yet not plugged in). And the % was now showing on the unlock screen saying 18% so I plugged it in.
Please tell me how the battery charging/not charging can seem to be reversed????
Thanks in advance for anything you can help me with.

My Daughters Phone Pulled that same thing on us. we took the battery out while the phone was turned on and Plugged in, waited for it to shutoff and then put the battery back in, it hasn't done it since, IF that doesn't FIX IT i would suggest taking it back to where you got it for replacement if it was walmart they only have a 15 day return/replace policy on these phones so if its been longer than that i am affraid the only other thing you could do at that point is send it to Samsung for Repairs.

hlance40

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Clean the charger port with a hard pointed object , make sure you clean and dirt or particles from underneath the middle piece in the charger port.
Also, if you notice the middle piece is too close or making contact with the bottom, use the pointed object to CAREFULLY bend it up a little.

Do all this while the phone is off and battery out.

lachivarayada

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
What needs to be done is get a needle and move the middle thing from where you charge your phone becuase it is making contact to another medal and making the phone think its stil in the charger. But you have to have the phone OFF!! or you will burn your phone from inside.

Reactions: sukhdeep gill

myaceplus

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
What needs to be done is get a needle and move the middle thing from where you charge your phone becuase it is making contact to another medal and making the phone think its stil in the charger. But you have to have the phone OFF!! or you will burn your phone from inside.

good thing I found this.. last night, my ace plus suddenly was beeping continuously indicating that the battery needs to be charged. I inserted the charger as usual, but it wont charge. I tried it several times and then it went charging. But after several minutes, it stopped. I tried my niece's charge and the same thing. I have already turned the phone on and off. I even had the android logo with some details on the upper left part of the phone and in the middle it shows like "do not turn the device off". But I still did turn it off.

Then after it was fully charged, I have unplugged the charger. I noticed that it still shows it's charging even after turning it off. Again, I tried several times turning it off and removed the battery. But still the same.

I was really worried. But am very glad I found this solution this morning. I thought I had to bring my phone to the store and have my battery replaced or my phone repaired... super thanks..

:):):):):)

John Ravenscraft

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! This worked on my wifes phone. Turns out that the 2 year old got ahold of the phone and obviously chewed on the part where the charger plugs in and smashed it down. After taking a needle and positioning it back in the middle the constant charging was gone! Thanks again!

fingerspinner

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes nice one. I thought this might be the case but was afraid to start poking about in case I really messed things up. Used the needle and, hey presto, it's all sorted! Many thanks!!!! :D

Arpit Khandelwal

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung Captivate Glide was doing the same drama....showed charging/not charging when not connected to charger at all. This issue was making its touch sensitivity very poor, I followed the posted solution and that worked perfectly fine. Touch sensitivity got lot better since then.

Julie Valenzuela

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
You helped soooooo much!!!!!!!!!1 Thank you! I was getting ready to go into panic and when I did this go figure my phone was at 0% thanks to you it's laying down charging it up!:)

jjwfnd

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Unplug the phone and remove the charging cord. Remove the battery from the phone. Use a paper clip and straighten the clip so you can use just one narrow part of the clip that you want to carefully place the narrow part of the paper clip into the area where you plug your cord in and move it to the left and right to clean any debris out and to seperate any metal that may be shorting it out. In my case I placed my phone face down on the table and carefully inserted the paper clip towards the front of the phone where the cord plugs in and moved it to the left and right a few times and than blew into the opening to get any lint or debris out of the slot. What I noticed is it made it a little bit wider than so the metal was not touching and shorting the phone out. After that is done place your battery back in the phone and turn it on. It worked on my phone. Good luck.

jm860421

May 13, 2013
Visit site
great tip, my phone started acting wierd today as it started beeping and telling me it was charging... in my pocket (not plugged in obviously)..
Googled it and poof, Google once again shows it's great friendship!
moved the charging plate slightly and it was working again!

Thanks for the tip!

dickwyn

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
OMG, THANKYOU For Your Help, at first it didn't quite work but then i completed reading your sentence and cleaned the bottom of the middle thing and BOOM the third time it worked... :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non