Still faster in non-LTE area?

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
What I am trying to find out is if the network is faster when just on 3G or "fake" 4G?

Where I am now, we just have 3G with the fake 4G coming soon, if I had the Skyrocket in one hand and the original SGS2 in the other, would the Skyrocket be faster or would they be the same? If not, why?

What about in a fake 4G area (but not LTE) would it be faster there or the same since the SGS2 supports HSPA+?

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
What I am trying to find out is if the network is faster when just on 3G or "fake" 4G?

Where I am now, we just have 3G with the fake 4G coming soon, if I had the Skyrocket in one hand and the original SGS2 in the other, would the Skyrocket be faster or would they be the same? If not, why?

What about in a fake 4G area (but not LTE) would it be faster there or the same since the SGS2 supports HSPA+?

They both use 21mbps capable radio, however, AT&T's HSPA network is only 16QAM so maximum throughput is limited to 14.4mbps. Skyrocket is using Qualcomm's MDM9200 that supports LTE/DC-HSPA+/HSPA+(up to 21mpbs)/UMTS/EDGE/etc...
Here are my results from NYC, and we don't have LTE yet only HSPA+
SkA3s.png

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Anyone in a non-LTE area and have both (or you have one and a friend or coworker has the other) and are willing to run a speed test right next to eachother?

EDIT: Basically, I will be eligible for upgrade again before we get LTE in my area, so I want to know if I would actually see improved speeds on the Skyrocket over the original SGS2. If not, then I will just get the original SGS2 (or Galaxy Nexus if it comes to AT&T before the end of the year). If it is faster though, I may just go ahead and get the Skyrocket.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone in a non-LTE area and have both (or you have one and a friend or coworker has the other) and are willing to run a speed test right next to eachother?

EDIT: Basically, I will be eligible for upgrade again before we get LTE in my area, so I want to know if I would actually see improved speeds on the Skyrocket over the original SGS2. If not, then I will just get the original SGS2 (or Galaxy Nexus if it comes to AT&T before the end of the year). If it is faster though, I may just go ahead and get the Skyrocket.

It's exactly the same Category 14 radio man. Nothing to be excited about.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Also, do you always get about 13 Mbps on the HSPA+? On 3G here I have never seen over 2.5 Mbps. If yours is about average then I would be happy with HSPA+ anyway. Heck, my home cable connection is rated for 15 Mbps but I usually only actually see about 10-12 Mbps.

elhippo

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Did you run your tests on a Skyrocket or a OG SGS2? My OG SGS2 never gets more than about 4mbps down. The upload never exceeds 1mbps, and is usually like 700kbps.

This is in Houston with HSPA+. Its like the OG SGS2 has an under performing modem or ATT is treating OG SGS2 traffic as low priority. Skyrocket users on HSPA+ seem to be reporting better speeds.

Sent from my phone

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Also, do you always get about 13 Mbps on the HSPA+? On 3G here I have never seen over 2.5 Mbps. If yours is about average then I would be happy with HSPA+ anyway. Heck, my home cable connection is rated for 15 Mbps but I usually only actually see about 10-12 Mbps.

I don't see those tests all the time. I know where the AT&T's panels are, and test right under to see the maximum throughput. Late at night the speeds are possible.
During the day, expect 1-5mbps max. Sometimes speeds crawl under 1mbps, or EDGE-lyke... It's NYC though. The radio won't fix it, it's AT&T's service that needs some improvement.
I use SGS2 LTE skyrocket.

elhippo

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It really looks like the new LTE sgs2 can get better hspa speeds than the original att sgs2. I'm not sure if its traffic priorization or if the qualcomm chipset is better.

I'm in a LTE area with an original att sgs2 and don't get the hspa speeds exceeding 5mbps, even at 3am with full bars.

Maybe we can somehow get att to provision us with LTE 4g so we can use the new APNs to try to get better speeds? Not sure if that's even possible.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty much pushing the limits of AT&T's 14.4mbps 16QAM capable network. It's time for them to stop being cheap and upgrade their HSPA+ to 64QAM 21mbps network.

NCCY5.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo