Strange Email Display

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok, maybe I'm just a little too picky...I just upgraded my email system to Exchange 2010. Once I activated Active Sync and added my email account to my SGSII, whenever I reply or forward a message, I see a small green arrow slightly above and to the left of the recipients name. The problem with this is that by adding the arrow, it slightly cuts off the recipients name as if the separator line is too high.

I know this is very weird and picky, but seeing email messages cutoff, possibly due to the green arrow is very upsetting since it didn't happen with Exchange 2007 or any POP email.

Has anyone ever seen this before? If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Samsung GSII AT&T - non-rooted

Android Version 2.3.6

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I finally figured how to take a screen shot. Here it is...

Some background info:

This only started to happen when I upgraded to Exchange 2010. I have an Exchange 2007 mail account attached to this phone as well, and am not experiencing this issue. I also have a POP account which has no problems either.

Interestingly enough, when I change the email font size to the smallest, it goes back to normal, albeit very small font. I keep my font size set to Large, but not extra large. It's as if the email client can't render the green arrow properly on the screen. This is strange, and quite honestly, really bugs me...

What are your thoughts?

View attachment 28913

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, after much research and a lot of trial and error, I was able to resolve my problem and wanted to share it with all of you.

As you can see from the screen shot, the stock Android email client was allowing Exchange 2010 to insert a green arrow whenever I forwarded or replied to a message. This, in turn, would cause the messages to display incorrectly because the green arrow wouldn't properly resize the message and the separator line and would cutoff the recipients name. Because I am slightly neurotic about this stuff, it bothered me greatly and I needed to take action. This never happened using Exchange 2007. Well folks, here's what I learned:

1. This issue only started after I upgraded to Exchange 2010; it was not present in Exchange 2007.

2. From what I can tell, there is a feature in Exchange 2010 which pushes down an outlook feature called EAS (Exchange Archiving System). Now, this feature is available in other versions of Exchange, but didn't cause a problem in the Android client until Exchange 2010.

3. A subset of EAS is the reporting of forwarded or replied to messages via a green arrow displayed in the inbox. The stock Android email client is unable to render the arrow correctly, and thus causes the messages to display incorrectly.

4. I don't know why this wasn't an issue in 2007. All I can think of is that the flagging / reporting feature of EAS (the subset which shows the arrow) was either disabled or not functioning correctly.

Resolution:

Since I wasn't going to revert back to Exchange 2007, and the stock Android client was unable to display the messages correctly, I purchased a third party email client which can handle Exchange 2010 email much better.

I purchased and installed Enhanced Email. This email client has a lot of robust features and is able to interact with Exchange 2010 much better than the stock Android email client. Remember, I'm running a non-rooted AT&T SGSII Skyrocket ver 2.3.6.

After installing and configuring Enhanced Email, the problem was resolved. It's unfortunate that I had to purchase a third party program to perform something so basic, but it's what worked. Hopefully, this problem will be resolved with ICS (If we ever get the official AT&T release).