What would you do? (i9100 or T989) Unlocked?

eumakai

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm a total Android N00b .... I'm trying to decide whether to get an unlocked i9100 or a unlocked T989. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I will gladly listen and read!

I've read from various sources that the i9100 doesn't work with T-Mobile 3G and has no warranty, while the T989 will only work with T-Mobile. Is that true? And my question is - which is more worth it?

I'm currently tied to a T-Mobile contract until October 2012 in a Family Plan - but there's only ONE phone that is left in the contract while the other three have finished their contracts but it wouldn't make sense for us to leave since we still have to pay the family plan fee. I'm itching for a S2 but don't want to wait until Oct 2012. What is the risk of buying the i9100 when there is no warranty? And why would I get the T989 unlocked if it only works with T-Mobile and the price is pretty much the same as the i9100. Do I have any other options? Are there other S2s that I don't know about? I've been trying to do research but my lack of knowledge in cellular plans and other things is really slowing me down.

Even though an unlocked phone would give me freedom to switch carriers - I don't have a huge desire to move from T-Mobile just because they are the cheapest in my area and I've been with them for almost 8 years and never have had an unlocked phone.

I'm in IT so I'm not totally slow when it comes to technology but mobile devices are certainly not my specialty - at all. I'd really appreciate any help I can get, it's a big purchase for me and I don't want to make the wrong decision.

On a side note, I have a company discount that would give me 15% off the monthly statement and a discount - but of course, we would have to open a new 2 year contract.

Please help!! >.<

superfasteddy

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I know it was a long time since you asked so let me tell you my thoughts.

The plus of the T989 is the one year warranty you won't get. Other then that I feel the phones are universal, those two as well as the AT&T. If you are going to use it on T-Mobile, then the T989 is an obvious choice. I bought a T989 yesterday after having made that choice myself, and I don't even have TM, but am considering signing with them on the Wally World plan.

I think after doing a fair amount of research that the consensus is the TM version is better than the AT&T version and probably better than the Intl version as well. They have a different processor, the TM is faster but made a sacrifice regarding graphics, but it all equals out. I think the 989 is the biggest screen of the bunch.

Omegajester

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The I9100 is the best bar none spec wise. Not to mention it's the most widely supported in the scene (look up XDA). Not to mention also it's the sexiest looking of them both IMO. Processor wise its not dragged down like Att's version (uses Snapdragon, which is needed for LTE support).

BUT. You have TMo. And you plan on staying. It would be dumb to get a I9100 IMO, since you'd be stuck on Edge all the time due to radio incompatibility . And trust me, that IS a big issue in the long run. That is unless of course you're doing wifi 24/7, in which case it wouldn't matter. Then there's the warranty issue...

In shirt, I would strongly recommended the TMo version (GF has it and it's very good). If you were on any other company, I'd suggest you with the I9100. But in your particular case, I'd suggest you go with the TMo one.

Of course, this is all in IMHO. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III leaked prototype

Reactions: musthafaalkabeer