S3 Micro SD cards

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I bought a PNY 32GB MicroSDHC when I got my S3 in early July. Worked fine until two days ago when I got the 'sd card unexpectedly removed' message. Hasn't worked ever since on the S3. Weird thing is that it works fine on my two laptops.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Just so you all know, that 64GB micro SD card is not a class 6 or a class 10. It is a UHS-I/1 card. Also, just because a card was made by someone other than SanDisk, does not immediately make it any less reliable. Are there non-reliable cards out there? Yes. And a few were made by SanDisk. Some item titles do have mistakes, but I doubt they were lying intentionally.

Also, UHS-I and Class 10 are not exactly the same. Some pointers on how to identify a card class by markings is a class X card will generally have a letter "C" with a number inside it, denoting the class. The number in class loosely defines the write speed in MB/s of a card. It plays no effect on the read speed (although some claim higher class have faster reads and that is probably just inherent to the overall I/O) or the reliability. A class 2 card is not any less reliable from a manufacturing standpoint as a class 6 from the same company.

UHS cards can be identified by an "I" or a "U" with a number in it on them, and in the future a "II" or "III" and for compatible hardware they boast much higher speeds than class X cards. By compatible hardware I mean UHS type card R/W chips, they are mostly backward compatible with class type R/W chips.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am still rocking the 32gb Samsung card I got from my charge, with a 16gb backup from my fascinate

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

NotYingYang

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I hope no one thinks the S3 or any other mobile phone will write at class 10 speeds.

I'm so sorry if this is a very naive-sounding question... but what do you mean by a mobile phone "writing"? How does the S3 or any mobile phone "write," and in what situations would we need them to "write"?

Additionally, why won't they write at class 10 speeds? Will they at class 6? I've got the S3 and I need to upgrade my sd card to a bigger one. However, I don't know what speed or GB to go with. Sorry for all these questions.

Oh, and do I need a card reader/WRITER to transfer my data from my old sd card to the new sd card? Or will a simple card reader (no writer) suffice? Thanks so much ahead of time!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm so sorry if this is a very naive-sounding question... but what do you mean by a mobile phone "writing"? How does the S3 or any mobile phone "write," and in what situations would we need them to "write"?

Additionally, why won't they write at class 10 speeds? Will they at class 6? I've got the S3 and I need to upgrade my sd card to a bigger one. However, I don't know what speed or GB to go with. Sorry for all these questions.

Oh, and do I need a card reader/WRITER to transfer my data from my old sd card to the new sd card? Or will a simple card reader (no writer) suffice? Thanks so much ahead of time!

"Writing" is just a simple way of saying "saving to the SD card. It is just like saving something on your computer. No special tools required. If you want me to give you the long drawn out explaination on how it happens I can, but lets just let it go at what I have said.

It is not so much that it will not write TO a class 10 card, it just may not be able to write at the maxium speed the card will allow.

Lokk at it this way, a Car can go 200 MPH, doesn't mean that it will.

In this day and age, I cannot see you even finding just a card reader, most of them do both right out of the box.

Transferring data is just this easy. Hook your phone (with your old card in it) up to your computer. When it shows up on the computer, move all the files from the card to a folder on your computer. Disconnect the phone, insert the new card, reconnect, move the files back.

Depending on how much data you have it shouldnt take more than 15 minutes or so.

PS there are no dumb or naive-sounding questions here on AC. We are here to help, do not hesitate to ask away.

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Two weeks ago I purchased a ScanDisk 32 gb ultra class 10 from Radioshack for $24 + tax it replaced a Samsung 16 gb, The sale from Scandisk also included free cloud space for lifetime backup onto the sd card whenever you change phones even though I can do that myself on my computer.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Two weeks ago I purchased a ScanDisk 32 gb ultra class 10 from Radioshack for $24 + tax it replaced a Samsung 16 gb, The sale from Scandisk also included free cloud space for lifetime backup onto the sd card whenever you change phones even though I can do that myself on my computer.

think theres a sandisk app in playstore that does that mate. duno what storage it has. wish id kept my packaging incase it it had a similar offer. took me half an hour to open the bleepin thing ! :)

just d/loaded the SanDisk app.. ill have a play with it wen am bored. wonder if it can defragment?....
EDIT.. it seems to be a waste of space.. doesnt even have its own storage server. i just backed up my sd to BOX as it has like 50gb n i never use it... could do that with a file explorer....
ill play some more n see if it has any sd optimisation tools....

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Last edited:

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Just so you all know, that 64GB micro SD card is not a class 6 or a class 10. It is a UHS-I/1 card. Also, just because a card was made by someone other than SanDisk, does not immediately make it any less reliable. Are there non-reliable cards out there? Yes. And a few were made by SanDisk. Some item titles do have mistakes, but I doubt they were lying intentionally.

Also, UHS-I and Class 10 are not exactly the same. Some pointers on how to identify a card class by markings is a class X card will generally have a letter "C" with a number inside it, denoting the class. The number in class loosely defines the write speed in MB/s of a card. It plays no effect on the read speed (although some claim higher class have faster reads and that is probably just inherent to the overall I/O) or the reliability. A class 2 card is not any less reliable from a manufacturing standpoint as a class 6 from the same company.

UHS cards can be identified by an "I" or a "U" with a number in it on them, and in the future a "II" or "III" and for compatible hardware they boast much higher speeds than class X cards. By compatible hardware I mean UHS type card R/W chips, they are mostly backward compatible with class type R/W chips.

Wrong. Each SD card has a official card rating. There is a difference between Class X Ratings and UHS Ratings.

Although saying a flash memory manufacturer unrelaible just because they are not SanDisk is wrong, it's not totally wrong. Except for the exception of Team, A-Data, Trancend, etc that actually make some quality RAM other manufacturers tend to make cards that perform worse. It's not always that way, but there are a lot of accounts about poor performance.

The UHS-SanDisk cards actually have Class 10 and 6 ratings. You will know that if you check SanDisk's own website. UHS is just something tacked on that roughly examples reliability, and speed for compatible devices. So these sd cards have to have a rating. The Class X ratings is just to state that their minimum write speed is a specific number. It just provides confidence to the buyers that this sd card will perform at least at what speeds.

There are many lower rated cards that perform better. I have a class 6 SD card I use on my camera that actually performs at 10-16mb write speeds when benchmarked.

The best thing you can do when looking for great IO for memory is to look for a large benchmark chart that compares the cards in different ways. (sequential, random, IO, etc)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
agree with above but ive read a lot about the s3 destroying sandisks (s3 fault, not the card)
but maybe its just that sandisk are so popular that we hear more s3 horror storys about them :confused:

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
As I said somewhere, my disk has gone through 4 different phones (7 if you count temporary loaners), it is a sandisk, and it has been a trooper. Never an issue. Formatted once because I was being lazy after a wipe and wanted to start totally fresh.

Not discounting what you have said Funky, because I have seen a few get chewed up. More of them on my HTC phones than Samsung.

It does happen....

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah mate im not sayin theres a prob with sandisk (im using a 32gb sandisk ultra)
theres defo a problem with the s3 though and it seems to be pot luck :thumbdown:

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
agree with above but ive read a lot about the s3 destroying sandisks (s3 fault, not the card)
but maybe its just that sandisk are so popular that we hear more s3 horror storys about them :confused:

you're probably right. the sandisk's have been on sale for a long time lately. there has to be more people using it then other cards. maybe they went on sale for potential problems.

boogalu

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I bought this one from amazon for 60 bucks. Its a 64GB class 10 SDXC

http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH6JS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

works great and is fast as all hell. i have 1000 photoes on the 8mp setting on my phone and its still got 57 and change gigs left!!

60 bucks for the win!!

also on a side note if you click at the "view customer images" right under the picture there are 35 other images the second image has an Android on it and it says class 10 inside of a "C" and thats the same exact package that i received.

Last edited:

boogalu

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
zKHYVIF_C8GhzmrWJNm1C4k-RHRiO9o2hrEl0m9dwzluvNRavH-DwWb0vsW0FYRFAZy5SciKr1w

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
"Writing" is just a simple way of saying "saving to the SD card. It is just like saving something on your computer. No special tools required. If you want me to give you the long drawn out explaination on how it happens I can, but lets just let it go at what I have said.

It is not so much that it will not write TO a class 10 card, it just may not be able to write at the maxium speed the card will allow.

Lokk at it this way, a Car can go 200 MPH, doesn't mean that it will.

In this day and age, I cannot see you even finding just a card reader, most of them do both right out of the box.

Transferring data is just this easy. Hook your phone (with your old card in it) up to your computer. When it shows up on the computer, move all the files from the card to a folder on your computer. Disconnect the phone, insert the new card, reconnect, move the files back.

Depending on how much data you have it shouldnt take more than 15 minutes or so.

PS there are no dumb or naive-sounding questions here on AC. We are here to help, do not hesitate to ask away.

I realize this is an old thread, but I just had to comment and commend you. This is an excellent response and should be a model going forward. I am on a lot of phone/tablet forums and honestly, most are full of impatience and arrogance. Excellent post, sir!!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! The way I look at it we are all new at one time or another, people come here for help not to feel dumb.

Thanks again!

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress