Turning camera shutter sound off

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
global version doesnt have that setting. i think its actualy in european union law that a camera must make a sound.
muting volume works though lol :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Don't feel bad. In the Sprint one I have to root to get rid of it...

Speaking of I just rooted the other night.. Time to get rid of it lol

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Open Root Explorer - Navigate to /system/media/audio/ui
Mount R/W
Rename shutter.ogg to shutter.ogg.bak or just delete it.
To undo, just rename it back

bpryde

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a Rogers Galaxy Note and the option is there but my wifes Galaxy S3 also from rogers it is not there. Both have ICS, cant figure it out either.

Robert White1

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Its like each Galaxy S3 is missing some settings somewhere. I'm on T-mobile & I don't have Network Mode in my settings.

I am on T-mobile and I DO have it. Settings/More settings/Mobile networks

Screenshot_2012-11-28-21-30-43.png

NSN1968

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi
On my Sim Free GS3 in the UK I have no option to turn off the shutter sound but there is a stock widget that came pre-installed called "turn off all sounds" which works a treat.

bigdham0620

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I use "Camera ICS", which I downloaded from the Play store for free. It seemed the easiest and safest way to fix this problem (shutter sound.) It is a stand-alone camera app, not some sort of patch for your stock camera app, so once you download the app, you open it instead of your stock app and it will have an option in the settings to silence the shutter sound. Still takes high-quality photos because it is still using the same lens and what-not (of course), but I haven't checked to see if it has all the fancy options that come with the stock app...but for simple and silent photos, it is definitely good. :)

I am on the Samsung Galaxy SIII, and Sprint is my carrier here in the US (Florida). I previously had the GSII (also with Sprint) and it had the same problem. Glad this app is out there, because that obnoxious shutter sounds was way too loud.

I see a lot of people answering by saying "it is there, you just have to look harder"...perhaps there are a few people out there who are completely inept with their phones, but most of us know our way around our gadgets - at least well enough to fully search the settings within the camera app, so "look harder" is not a solution. If you are on a different carrier, in a different country, or perhaps even a different region within the same country, that which is true for your phone may not be true for other phones. My phone doesn't have the "silent shutter" option within the settings, and muting the phone completely with the drop-down menu is equally ineffective at silencing the shutter.

I don't want to root my phone until I feel it is necessary for better performance, so this app seemed the easiest way to go (someone else actually recommended it on this forum).

Also, to those who are (half) jokingly inquiring as to the reason for wanting to silence the shutter, there are innocent reasons for wanting this. Just a couple weeks ago, I was doing a community service thingy for underprivileged kids at a childcare facility here in Tampa (volunteer stuff, not like a probation deal or anything, lol), and they were all taking turns opening gifts and sitting on Santa's lap. Having this loud shutter sound go off every few seconds while kids are whispering into Santa's ear about what they want for Christmas is extremely distracting and quite rude. So while it may be near certainty that "perving" is mankind's oldest and greatest past-time, there are other reasons for wanting to silence this completely unnecessary sound effect.

Last edited:

mdbrown

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Rush from Boost Mobile. BM uses the Sprint network so I had the annoying shutter sound too. There is no way to shut it off on Sprint phones. However I just downloaded Camera ICS for free from the Play store and it fixed the problem! No more shutter sound. Just download, then go to the camera settings menu. Option called "Silent Mode". I just turned it on and took several photos in silence!!!!!

LedPeint

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
After reading this thread, everyone should be ready to accept the fact that MUTE on a Sprint GS3 will *NOT* silence the camera shutter sound. PLEASE, can we get past such useless nonsense and find a solution? DAWG. If muting the phone solved the problem, most of this thread would not be here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non