S3 screen flicker?

acuratly87

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
ive always had mine set to 10mins and find it perfect.
its rare for me to forget to turn the screen off and i have an app that turns it off when i put phone face down, put it in pocket or close a flip case :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

What's the name of the app you use?

mz.brightside

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
OMG same problem here. I ordered a new SG3 from Rogers... and since the second day after using apps and stuff I got the strange flickering. Downloaded another SMS and keyboard still same thing. I factory reset it and the same thing. I finally sent it back to Rogers. The model is made in China if that helps. They sent me a brand new one from Korea. It was fine and then the second day it started doing it again. I'm convinced it's software and not hardware related because I really find it hard to believe that they just sent me out 2 new defective models in a row...

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
What's the name of the app you use?

Wave Control mate. its a payed app if you want it to turn the screen off.
give me a shout if u buy it and il tell u how to set it up to use the least battery. ive chatted with the dev' a lot n he's a good guy and the s3 is his developer unit :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

acuratly87

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So, after trying a few different things it seems to have stopped for me (*knock on wood*). The first thing I did was I held down the home button to show open apps and removed them all. Once the screen flickered, I looked to see what apps had re-opened. For me it was Modern War. I deleted that app, then I increased the time it takes for the screen to turn off to 10 mins. I also turned off "Smartstay". It's been almost a day without any screen flashes, so I'm optimistic at this point.

green_android

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So, after trying a few different things it seems to have stopped for me (*knock on wood*). The first thing I did was I held down the home button to show open apps and removed them all. Once the screen flickered, I looked to see what apps had re-opened. For me it was Modern War. I deleted that app, then I increased the time it takes for the screen to turn off to 10 mins. I also turned off "Smartstay". It's been almost a day without any screen flashes, so I'm optimistic at this point.

I never had Modern war and I always had smartstay turned off, also I had the screen brightness to the lowest setting, basically I changed every setting in my phone to conserve battery, try typing a text message, you'll see flickers, I've done lot of testing with every setting on or off, deleted bunch of apps, so on, none of those things helped.
At this point I totally gave up on this, I'm just waiting for jelly bean and hopefully it'll fix it.

rcsrich

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It's happened to me only while the keyboard (Swiftkey 3) is up, regardless of the app. I have screen timeout set to 1 minute & I guess "smartstay" is on since I've never tried to disable it. Seems like a relatively minor issue to me, especially after coming from a Motorola Triumph with awful GPS, poor touch response & wonky proximity sensor... ;)

klgh07

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I just joined, I got my Galaxy last week...this is happening to me too, and I have started to see it happens in other apps/in the home screen as well.
I use swift key 3, and I just turned off all motion control settings and have not been using auto rotate or auto brightness..maybe that will help.
If it does it again I'll try using a different keyboard. Very annoying.

Generalgr147

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got my join last week, and I have to say the screen flicker got worse or more noticeable when I used SwiftKey3.... Starting to think that is the issue. I have turned off all the features that have been mentioned. Like others, I don't use the stock messaging app, and the flicker does appear with other apps. How many people are seeing this with the stock keyboard?

I am rooted, but still running stock.

Jonathan R Lee

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Here is my variant of the problem:

Screen flicker is really bad with Swiftkey.
Screen flicker is just as bad with Jelly Bean Keyboard, and there is horrible lag on long messages.
Stock Samsung keyboard has no flicker problem but occasional lag. And the lack off auto correct makes it more or less unusable.

At&t: jelly bean now. Please!!! :mad:

green_android

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: Does not happen on jelly bean. Though I did notice some very small messaging flicker NOT "screen" flicker but a very small flicker on one of the messages in messaging app, disable hardware overlays and its gone.

Cheers

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: Does not happen on jelly bean. Though I did notice some very small messaging flicker NOT "screen" flicker but a very small flicker on one of the messages in messaging app, disable hardware overlays and its gone.

Cheers

Disabling would decrease the video performance specially on third party non-Google apps due to decrease in vRAM. May be I am wrong, but I hope I don't get this flicker issue.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Disabling would decrease the video performance specially on third party non-Google apps due to decrease in vRAM. May be I am wrong, but I hope I don't get this flicker issue.

*falls in glove (geek love)* :p x

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

green_android

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

It might but very slightly, but for people who just want to get rid of it completely, they might want to disable it.

Eldair

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
For me it seems to appear only when on power saving mode with auto brightness and right after wake up. Anyone else seeing on this conditions?