Annoying Automatic Brightness Issue on Android 13 Phone

Circuits

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
Hello, I have an issue with the brightness on my Android 13 phone:
My phone's brightness keeps changing on its own, even with the Android auto-brightness option turned off. I've tried searching through all the developer settings and modifying all possible brightness settings, but none of them seem to make any improvement.

The brightness changes my phone makes seem to adapt to the content on the screen. I suspect this because when I play a video, the screen intermittently increases and decreases in brightness, which is really annoying. I'd like to know what I could do in this situation.

Furthermore, I have tried brightness control apps, but nothing has worked.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Off

Mi 9T (I have tried with two different roms and the same problem occurs in both) SparkOS and Pixel Experience
I'm not familiar with the phone but I know on Samsung there is a setting to up the brightness for certain apps like videos.. I don't know if you have any setting like that but I'm sure you went through it.. maybe save your current ROMS and try to go to stock and see if it happens also?

Circuits

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the phone but I know on Samsung there is a setting to up the brightness for certain apps like videos.. I don't know if you have any setting like that but I'm sure you went through it.. maybe save your current ROMS and try to go to stock and see if it happens also?
Welcome to Android Central! Are there any dynamic brightness/color option in the Settings>Display menu?

Let's also see if @Madd62 or @dangerousfen have any ideas, since I know they're Xiaomi users.
I have reviewed all the Android options including the developer options and there has been nothing that has solved my problem.

I have also tried deactivating the battery optimization of some applications to see if the brightness continues to adapt. But nothing, it keeps flashing when I watch videos and going up and down whenever it wants, it's very annoying.

I have tried brightness adjustment apps, but they don't work either. I have to manually change the brightness. If I set the brightness to 100%, it usually decreases a bit on its own. Visually, I can see in the interface that it still indicates that the brightness is set to 100%, but to get it back to 100%, I have to touch the brightness bar again and manually raise it.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I have reviewed all the Android options including the developer options and there has been nothing that has solved my problem.

I have also tried deactivating the battery optimization of some applications to see if the brightness continues to adapt. But nothing, it keeps flashing when I watch videos and going up and down whenever it wants, it's very annoying.

I have tried brightness adjustment apps, but they don't work either. I have to manually change the brightness. If I set the brightness to 100%, it usually decreases a bit on its own. Visually, I can see in the interface that it still indicates that the brightness is set to 100%, but to get it back to 100%, I have to touch the brightness bar again and manually raise it.
Have you tried to back up your current ROM and flash the stock ROM to see if it's acting the same way? The only other thing I can think of is a fresh new install.. if you want to get to the bottom of it..

Reactions: J Dubbs

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
While I have a minute there is a "CIT" diagnostic tests section on both my 2020 Mi 10 Lite 5G and Poco F2 Pro.

There are a Proximity sensor test and a light sensor test there.
Like my two you have an Amoled screen.
They are and listed and labeled slightly ifferently on the Poco but on the Mi you can go to
Settings - About Phone - All Specs - then tap : Kernel Version several times. Try those two around #20 - 22.

I'll check back tomorrow. All I can think of, though I'm not clear what is happening exactly.

This is the Poco screen :

Screenshot_2023-09-06-01-43-14-254_com.miui.cit.jpgScreenshot_2023-09-06-01-44-33-499-edit_com.miui.cit.jpgScreenshot_2023-09-06-01-44-46-516_com.miui.cit.jpg

Circuits

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
Have you tried to back up your current ROM and flash the stock ROM to see if it's acting the same way? The only other thing I can think of is a fresh new install.. if you want to get to the bottom of it..
Your using 2 different custom ROM ? Not stock to be clear?
The reason I tried a second ROM is because I thought the issue was with the Spark OS ROM. But when I saw that I had the same problem with Pixel Experience, I went back to the Spark OS ROM (a newer version). I wouldn't like to have to switch back to the Stock ROM again. If I create a backup of the current ROM, would I have to reinstall the apps and settings? The problem is that it took me a whole day to reconfigure the phone, and I wouldn't like to go through hours of setup again just to find out that the issue is still occurring.

But I don't understand how it could affect the sensors if auto brightness is off and optimizations are also off. Isn't there a way to disable absolutely everything that changes the screen brightness? It may be that the screen sensors are not working correctly, I would like to know if there is any way to disable them or force the screen.

Thanks for the help!

Circuits

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
I still have the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fix it? It bothers me especially when there is too much light and the brightness decides to lower itself. I would like to force the brightness to go up to almost 100% when I am putting the fingerprint on the screen and also have it not go down too much when it is too bright (this all happens with auto brightness disabled).

SyeThunder

Jan 25, 2024
Visit site
I'm using lineageOS 30 (android 13) and I had this issue when adaptive brightness was off, for me theres a menu called livedisplay under the colour and display settings which has an option "display mode" clicking into it allows you to disable an option for increased brightness in harsh sun.
I'm sure there must be some similar settings that you could turn off thats seperate to adaptive brightness, stock android 13 has NightLight which might be doing this.

Circuits

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
I'm using lineageOS 30 (android 13) and I had this issue when adaptive brightness was off, for me theres a menu called livedisplay under the colour and display settings which has an option "display mode" clicking into it allows you to disable an option for increased brightness in harsh sun.
I'm sure there must be some similar settings that you could turn off thats seperate to adaptive brightness, stock android 13 has NightLight which might be doing this.
I have explored all the options on my device in both Spark OS and Pixel Experience and none of them have solved my problem. I have discovered that the brightness adapts depending on what is displayed on the screen (if it is something too light or too dark, I think the light has nothing to do with it). There are times that the screen brightness is raised too high and there are times that it is lowered, it doesn't matter if I set the brightness manually.
The problem must be physical of the screen. My screen broke and I had to replace it with another one from Aliexpress. Since that happened, the problem appeared. What I don't understand is why this happens (or maybe it was just a coincidence and has nothing to do with the new screen). But there has to be some way to force the brightness, regardless of whether the screen is of better or worse quality, right?

Thanks!

Edit: I have tried to fiddle with the LiveDisplay (activating and deactivating) and indeed it was not that. I have also noticed that if I stay on a tab and slide my finger across the screen (without the image changing, nor the amount of light reaching the phone) the brightness goes up and down.

Last edited:

infkahun

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
I have explored all the options on my device in both Spark OS and Pixel Experience and none of them have solved my problem. I have discovered that the brightness adapts depending on what is displayed on the screen (if it is something too light or too dark, I think the light has nothing to do with it). There are times that the screen brightness is raised too high and there are times that it is lowered, it doesn't matter if I set the brightness manually.
The problem must be physical of the screen. My screen broke and I had to replace it with another one from Aliexpress. Since that happened, the problem appeared. What I don't understand is why this happens (or maybe it was just a coincidence and has nothing to do with the new screen). But there has to be some way to force the brightness, regardless of whether the screen is of better or worse quality, right?

Thanks!

Edit: I have tried to fiddle with the LiveDisplay (activating and deactivating) and indeed it was not that. I have also noticed that if I stay on a tab and slide my finger across the screen (without the image changing, nor the amount of light reaching the phone) the brightness goes up and down.

I also have a Mi 9T Pro (Redmi K20 Pro) and I'm facing the same problem with mine. This problem started for me when I got my phone screen and battery replaced a few months ago. I believe it has to do with the replacement screen not being a legit Mi screen but a local variant. I'm trying to contact Mi service centers near me to get an original (legit) replacement screen for the phone.
Thought I'd google the problem and I'm surprised (also relieved) to find somebody with the exact same issue on the exact same device model.
I will share an update if changing the screen works.

Last edited: