Phone won't sync as a media device

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had any trouble connecting their phone to their PC as a media device to copy over music or images? I can only get it to connect in camera mode but even then, it won't successfully let me copy music to the External MicroSD card... Running windows 7 and a fairly new machine which has never had this problems with other android phones.

papachange05

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. I ended up popping out my micro sd card and moving the files manually through my card reader.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

darigaaz12

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
its a Lil iffy with my computer, and windows xp wasn't a problem but windows 7 transferred 5 movies and then refused to transfer 3 more a few hours later....

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I tried the following with success. Running Win7 I plugged in my SIII via a USB cable, the PC OS automatically installed drivers, the phone showed up as a media device, I dragged and dropped music files to my ext-sd card, opened up the stock music app and the songs and albums were there and played.

srini4digit

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
When I try to sync my Windows Media Player playlists using Windows 7, all the tag info gets weird. The music app is able to read only few songs .. but if i check out the Music folder on the device..all the files copied .. This was not the case with my S2 ! Hope they fix this ... realllly would like to manage my playlist on pc and sync it...

howvideo

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar problem with my SCH-I535; it won’t stay connected as a media device.
If I leave it plugged in to my computer and switch back between camera mode and media device a few times it will eventually stay on and I can transfer my photos and media. Thinking of exchanging it still under my 2 weeks.

ibleedbloo

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. I uninstalled Keis and all the Samsung drivers did a battery pull and started over. Now everything works fine and dandy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

peppermintman

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else had any trouble connecting their phone to their PC as a media device to copy over music or images? I can only get it to connect in camera mode but even then, it won't successfully let me copy music to the External MicroSD card... Running windows 7 and a fairly new machine which has never had this problems with other android phones.

Using the "Add Hardware Wizard" I see...SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device...when I click Next...the next window say's...This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).

I'm running Window's XP. PC won't even recognize it as new hardware being added. I think that's the problem. Once the PC adds the phone as new hardware I think the problem oughta go away. But that's the number 1 problem I think. Kies will not connnect with the S3 because of that.

I contacted Microsoft with this issue an I'm still waiting. Looks like lots of people have the same issue using USB. I'm looking to figure this one out too. I don't think it's our machines guys.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Using the "Add Hardware Wizard" I see...SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device...when I click Next...the next window say's...This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).

I'm running Window's XP. PC won't even recognize it as new hardware being added. I think that's the problem. Once the PC adds the phone as new hardware I think the problem oughta go away. But that's the number 1 problem I think. Kies will not connnect with the S3 because of that.

I contacted Microsoft with this issue an I'm still waiting. Looks like lots of people have the same issue using USB. I'm looking to figure this one out too. I don't think it's our machines guys.

If you are running Windows XP you have to make sure you have Windows Media Player 10 or above in order for MTP to work. Also, make sure you have the Samsung Drivers installed.

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue at one point and it turned out my SD card was bad. I was getting an MTP error in wondows, I removed the SD card and everything worked properly. Is your card formated FAT32? Android cannot read NTFS.

peppermintman

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Samsung said to uncheck debugging, you should not see a green check mark.
Then you tap on the upper left hand corner.
You will see something that looks like a pitch fork, something with 3 prongs pointing up.
Tap on it.....
Then go you My Computer
you otta see it there as a new device.

Then see it everything works. Now I'm gonna give it a trial run :)

peppermintman

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Well guess what? What I did was install the driver first. That was when the computer seen the cell phone. I did that stuff that Monica said to do at Samsung Chat Support. THEN I installed Kies and the Allshare,Others(Software). After I downloaded the other stuff I went right back to as before. Laptop doesn't see the phone again. I think everyone that has this Galaxy S3 needs to go to Samsung Chat Support and let these people something up with the phone. I'm now messing around AGAIN trying to see if I can get these two to sync.

peppermintman

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
What the heck is Codec???? Beta??? Well I downloaded it and now working. I seen it right in front of me and didn't know what it was, so I ignored it, until now. Try downloading that piece of Kies and let us know if it worked for you as it's working for me. So far it is anyways :)

peppermintman

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Found out it was my computer running XP. I don't know if it's 32 or 64 bit. But once I used my wifes laptop with Win 7 it was connected instantly and downloaded the drivers no problem. Is Win 7 64 bit???? Whatever, everything ok except now maybe I need new laptop.

ddmd

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I had the same exact problem as Guinnkevinr-- PC (running Windows XP and Media Player 11) would not recognize the Galaxy as a media player-- thinks it is only a camera. Here's what worked to get it to sync to Media Player 11: On the Galaxy, go to Menu> Settings> Wireless & Networks> USB Settings> Mass Storage. Don't set it to "Media Player" (which would be the intuitive thing to do;) Hook the Galaxy to your PC via USB. A pop-up menu will appear letting you choose a variety of ways to "open" the device-- chose play with Windows Media Player. From there, Windows MP will let you synchronize your entire music library with the Galaxy in one shot. And, it no longer thinks it is a camera-- YEAY!

Buddy Husted

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I am having same problem with me galaxy nexus? I had to restore the os on my pc and every since then my PC will not recognize device as mass storage device or MTP. Before I just hooked the phone up and the pc automatically installed software and would list Galaxy Nexus as a connected device....now it won't do that no matter what I try?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2