Clarification On Apps To SD on S3

touchdowntn

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am completely new to Android and smart phones entirely. From what I have read searching this forum is that on older versions of Android, apps or at least some apps could be saved on the SD card. It is my understanding also that either ICS 4.0 or Samsung has blocked apps from being able to be saved to the SD card. Is this correct that on the S3 that apps can ONLY be saved to the internal memory???

krusej23

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I looked into it on my phone this morning and I can't figure out how to save them to the SD card either. I used to do that on my old phone running 2.3.

tdeanhoward

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that starting with 4.0 apps to sd was no longer available. What i read said that the sd card is to slow and to keep apps running as they should, they can now only be stored on the faster internal memory. At least that is my understanding of it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Soundtrack to Chaos

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
My non-technical understanding is that programs can and are installed on the factory installed internal SD card but that under ICS they can't be installed to a user installed ext-sd card. Only data can be stored on the ext-SD card. Under previous Android OS's there were programs that would allow you to move some installed programs from the internal SD card to the ext-SD card.
I am sure I will be corrected by those more knowledgeable than I if the above is incorrect. ;)

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is also that the apps to sd feature was removed on ICS... but like everyone else I'm not an expert and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. You used to be able to do it right from the stock applications menu, and click "move to SD" for apps that allowed it. Now you can't.

I was even messing with the Elixir app last night (general phone status and settings app) and when I was looking at my App list, some apps had a box to click to move to SD. But when I clicked one, it just took me to the stock application screen (with the uninstall, force stop, etc. buttons) and did not actually let me move it to SD.

I guess I'm not too worried about it, I never came close to filling 8GB on my Droid X, and I only got the 16GB S3 but that should be fine for me. I just have my camera set to save all pictures to my SD Card, and that's where I save all my other media files, videos, docs, etc...

touchdowntn

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Since I'm new to smart phones and Android, you mentioned that there is a SD card installed by the manufacturer. Is the manufacturer installed SD card accessible and replaceable by the consumer? I am with US Cellular and the 32 GB is only available in the white and I'd prefer the blue. So, I'm wondering if I could buy the 16 GB and replace the factory installed sd card memory to turn my 16 into a 32. Then again the phone could have a built in flash type, SSD memory which has a partition named SD card and not a actual SD card. Keep the info coming!

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I used app to SD on my GS2ET4G and stored all that I could on SD. I gave that phone to my wife when I got my GS3. Last night I updayrd the GS2 to ICS and it literaly transfers all the apps back to internal memory from what it looks like to me. Also I had to wait for it to "optimizing apps" after the ICS install. I will look into it more tonight but I am sure that ICS does not allow any app to SD transfer.

Posted from my Sprint White GS3 via Tapatalk

Ted1Jones

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Since I'm new to smart phones and Android, you mentioned that there is a SD card installed by the manufacturer. Is the manufacturer installed SD card accessible and replaceable by the consumer? I am with US Cellular and the 32 GB is only available in the white and I'd prefer the blue. So, I'm wondering if I could buy the 16 GB and replace the factory installed sd card memory to turn my 16 into a 32. Then again the phone could have a built in flash type, SSD memory which has a partition named SD card and not a actual SD card. Keep the info coming!

Beginning with some Android 3.x version (I beleive), the internal storage folder storage is called "sdcard" and the external, removable SD card folder is called "extSdCard". However, the internal storage that comes with the phone is not removable and is not an SD card. Using an SD card will not increase your internal storage.

Reactions: touchdowntn

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty