we're getting local search back :)

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
just i9300 users for now but surely all the US variants will get it too...

Not true, unfortunately. It was removed from US variants due to patent litigation in the US. The US ruling has no effect on international devices - as the US has no authority there - so it should have never been removed in the first place.

The new update fixes that mistake but there is still a legal barrier preventing Samsung from pushing it back to US models.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
nah i dont really use local search so im in no rush and im guessing thats all thats gona be in the update. i checkd for ota updates on the phone + it says its busy try again later so it must be an ota. tbh id rather wait and see if anyone reports bugs before i update. cheers for the link man il hav a look now ;)

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
....hmm "stability improvements"... so why arent the US variants getting those?

Whatever fixes come out international tends to get them first...as they can come direct from Samsung.

For us in the US it goes from Samsung to our carrier (i.e. AT&T). AT&T then tests it and modifies anything they want etc. before pushing it to customers.

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the update that restores the search function can be stripped from the update and applied to US phones by the folks developing the non-carrier ROMS? Does anyone have an idea?

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the update that restores the search function can be stripped from the update and applied to US phones by the folks developing the non-carrier ROMS? Does anyone have an idea?

That would seemingly require root to apply such a patch...and we can already restore the functionality anyways.

Without root you can restore it but you have to repeat a process every reboot.

With root you can permanently fix it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/187903-update-2-l710vplg2-3.html#post1967006

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm not a power phone user so I really never got the importance of this. I know what it does obviously and the only time I have ever used local search is at my firm with attorneys iPhones when they have 80 home screen folders and I can't find the "Settings" icon or the "Contacts" icon to do my verifications before I return their device. At that point I just go to search and type in settings to get to it. On my phones I have never once used search for local items.

Now, I'm not trying to say it's a useless feature, not at all as I'm sure others have used it with with very understandable reasons. What I don't get though is restoring the functionality is so easy with a quick Google search, even on this forum the info is available on how to restore it - without root and without the need to reset it after each reboot. So... who cares if Sammy does or doesn't reimplement it? :p We can fix it ourselves ;)

Rev.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i never used to use it as i keep my apps organised in folders but the s3 holds so many apps that its quite handy :)
i still havent got the update. does anyone know if u can get it OTA in the UK?
i tried installing it using Kies and it keeps failing but when i use phone to check for ota update it tells me to try again later...

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I think so. I went to settings ->About->Check for updates and there was one. So, I got it and it came in over my 3G network

Alan