Disable Google Talk?

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
It's a system app that comes as part of the Android OS. There is a disable button there somewhere or you can root your phone and remove it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps the behaviour has changed with later updates to the OS, but in the version on my Verizon phone the Disable button is there. Be sure you're looking in the All section. uploadfromtaptalk1354472926018.jpgSent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

DaveT2323

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Instructions above work on my GS3 with Jellybean. It drives me nuts that these apps always seem to default to "enabled" or "sync contacts" etc. Why can't I just use my phone without all this sharing or letting everyone know my location or that I'm available to chat? If I want to share phone numbers, friends, or photos I'll make an effort to do it - I hate always having to make sure it's not being done behind my back... It's almost like they want us to be comfortable with no privacy at all...

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
[quoted post deleted by moderator]

Disable is there... Settings, Application manager, All apps, Talk

You can't remove it unless you are rooted.

Punished? For providing a free app?

Last edited by a moderator:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps the behaviour has changed with later updates to the OS, but in the version on my Verizon phone the Disable button is there. Be sure you're looking in the All section. View attachment 49194

If, instead of "Disable" in the screen shot above, you see "uninstall updates," you'll need to tap that first. Once you've uninstalled the updates, then you should see "Disable," as shown above.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Ignoring posters who are trying to stir things up is always a good practice. Don't give them the attention they crave.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

howardtaft

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem as well, and did click disable. I still get chat requests from strangers. I had to enable it again just so i could block the user. I had never used google talk so it sure seemed an odd place to spam me.

Franzy1320

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking, How were you able to block the msg after you enabled it. Since they show up as an IP address on my phone, I have not figured out where you do the blocking.

junktext

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Answer: To truly disable Google Talk you need to open up the "Talk" app and then Sign Out of all Google e-mail accounts that you may have. Trying to "Disable" the app in Settings doesn't work as you'll still get chat requests for some reason.

This was tested in Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) on Verizon's Droid RAZR M.

junktext

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, rooting would solve the main issue of not being able to remove Google Talk at all from many stock Android phones. But, for folks like me who doesn't want to root our phone (for various reasons), my suggestion above works fine.

Patrick Man

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Instructions above work on my GS3 with Jellybean. It drives me nuts that these apps always seem to default to "enabled" or "sync contacts" etc. Why can't I just use my phone without all this sharing or letting everyone know my location or that I'm available to chat? If I want to share phone numbers, friends, or photos I'll make an effort to do it - I hate always having to make sure it's not being done behind my back... It's almost like they want us to be comfortable with no privacy at all...

I'm with Dave. Come to find out I've been missing messages from coworkers because Hangouts was automatically delivering messages to my droid (without even notifying me!). How hard would it be to have a checkbox "auto login to hangouts on bootup"? Finally had to uninstall hangouts and disable gtalk. Again Google, I only want to check my gtalk messages when I want to check them. Why do you insist on showing me logged in all the time so i can receive messages I'll never see? Yes, I can see why having it work a certain way would be useful to a lot of people, but why do you shove it down the throat of the rest of us?

edit: Someone else successfully solved this by installing some sort of kidsafe app and making google hangouts require a password. *sigh*

Petlew

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
My problem is slightly different. I keep on getting a message: "Google Talk authentication has failed" about a dozen times a day.

I have never (knowingly) been associated with any Google product on my mobile phone.

While I do have "Talk" in my Android apps/manage apps/all folder I do not have the option to delete update, nor do I have the option to uninstall it. I only have Force Stop or Cancel.

The message arriving regularly is driving me mad...

Help!!

(Oh yes it a Sony Ericsson, does that make any difference)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non