Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What is eating away my data in the background?

Hi there,

after 2 weeks of usage I am already over my monthly data budget.

Internal data displays 379MB for Android Os - all others reasonable to what I used them for.

I just installed my data manager and within 10 minutes without touching it it displayed:

Android System 2MB
    OS Services 284KB

As I am new to Android, I'd appreciate if you could point me in the right direction for finding whats causing it.

Default Re: What is eating away my data in the background?

You might un install all apps and start over one at a time to see which is draining your data. Also there is a built in data manager in the settings menu (settings - - data) that will allow you to limit the data you use so you won't go over.

Otherwise watch out for Facebook, emails, other services that run in the background to check things. Also watch Pandora and how many apps you download. All of those things are data. Could add up.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

thanks drmaf894c,

but that would mean these apps (facebook, email, etc) don't account for themselves in the data usage overview - but in the Android System & OS Services.

If that would be the case - the overview by app is nonsense :P
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

go to Data Usage in settings mate, scroll down a bit and youl see the biggest data users from top to bottom.
    tap on one of the apps and theres a pie chart of what is background data.
    if you feel that the app doesnt need to be using data in the background, check the lil box that limits it

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

hi Funky,

well - that's the point. I see the biggest spenders - far ahead is "Android OS" - and I don't know what it is doing all the time.

All the others seem reasonable compared to what I used them for.

Friend Watch Out Your Social apps Running In Background And Try To Close Them Properly before After Your use.

And To get Your data in limits You Can use various Apps Available on Play Store. E.g--NQ Mobile .
    Thanked by:

Could be something syncing in the background

Get this app called Onavo Count... It manages and tracks everything that uses your data and records it... If it wasn't for this app I wouldn't have never guessed that Trust Go was somehow using so much of my freaking data... I still don't know how it used 336 MB... I usually never go over 1GB in a month

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is eating away my data in the background?-uploadfromtaptalk1351672416317.jpg   What is eating away my data in the background?-uploadfromtaptalk1351672426472.jpg  
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Dear all - really appreciate your comments - but the problem is I can't identify what is using the data - even with those apps. As they seem to be by android os itself!

What is eating away my data in the background?-screenshot_2012-10-31-18-32-46.pngWhat is eating away my data in the background?-screenshot_2012-10-31-18-33-22.pngWhat is eating away my data in the background?-screenshot_2012-10-31-18-33-30.pngWhat is eating away my data in the background?-screenshot_2012-10-31-18-33-46.png

Onavo shows some items - all with the same 10.5MB usage (without doing anything) for the afternoon. Seem to be some internal system stuff that is compiled in "Android OS" in the standard data display...

Take a screen shot of what's running in the back ground

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

that does seem high mate
    this was in 7days use
    What is eating away my data in the background?-uploadfromtaptalk1351691306295.jpg
    is this happening while the phone is asleep?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

im guessing when Android Os uses data, its when the phone is syncing stuff?
    we need an expert... SKUNKAPE!!!

GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

What is eating away my data in the background?-uploadfromtaptalk1351691962257.jpg

you could just disable background data on Android Os and see if you notice anything not working or anythin....
    EDIT: sorry it cant be disabled

GT-I9300, UK
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Hehe, still thanks for trying

@iCrank - could you show me what screen you mean? I don't see anything else displayed using the 3 apps shown above.

Torrent could be the possible culprit, I know that does use data in the background especially if you are seeding

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Droidfreeze View Post
    Friend Watch Out Your Social apps Running In Background And Try To Close Them Properly before After Your use.

And To get Your data in limits You Can use various Apps Available on Play Store. E.g--NQ Mobile .
    Please tell me how to close Facebook Properly... I normally hold downthe hoem key and tehn when all that is opn pops up up I hit "remove all".
    is there something else I can do?

Quote Originally Posted by skedzinger View Post
    Hehe, still thanks for trying

@iCrank - could you show me what screen you mean? I don't see anything else displayed using the 3 apps shown above.
    Settings>application manager>running

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

Quote Originally Posted by JeniferF View Post
    Please tell me how to close Facebook Properly... I normally hold downthe hoem key and tehn when all that is opn pops up up I hit "remove all".
    is there something else I can do?
    Yes that's how you do it but the Facebook app always runs in the background. I deleted it off of my device now I just check the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by iCrank View Post
    Yes that's how you do it but the Facebook app always runs in the background. I deleted it off of my device now I just check the Internet

I always log out of Facebook when I'm done (I also close the app from the task manager) and that prevents it from doing anything in the background. Sure it gets annoying logging back in when needed but it makes sure it's not using up my battery

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    geekymcfly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I always log out of Facebook when I'm done (I also close the app from the task manager) and that prevents it from doing anything in the background. Sure it gets annoying logging back in when needed but it makes sure it's not using up my battery

True.

Quote Originally Posted by iCrank View Post
    True.

Oh but also forgot to mention... I still agree with you.. the Facebook app sucks. Haha. :beer:

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Oh but also forgot to mention... I still agree with you.. the Facebook app sucks. Haha. :beer:

Lol. That's why I deleted it

Quote Originally Posted by skedzinger View Post
    Hi there,

after 2 weeks of usage I am already over my monthly data budget.

Internal data displays 379MB for Android Os - all others reasonable to what I used them for.

I just installed my data manager and within 10 minutes without touching it it displayed:

Android System 2MB
    OS Services 284KB

As I am new to Android, I'd appreciate if you could point me in the right direction for finding whats causing it.
    There is an app that let's u use either Facebook mobile or web. Just look for Facebook web in the app store and then disable the fb app on the phone. I also use friendcaster

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

hi guys - ah... ok, I was under the impression, that it can't be facebook as i turned it off and there was no data accounted to it directly.

I'll try deleting - lets see if that changes the situation.

thanks.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

i defo agree with force closing tTorrent or similar when not downloading.

GT-I9300, UK

Settings > Application Manager > Running

Whatever is running there is most likely using data in some way.
    funkylogik likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast