Tracking your phone in case you lose it?

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Calgary, Canada.

I almost had a heart attack two weeks ago when I lost my wallet at uni and I am very thankful that some other student returned it to lost and found. This got me thinking, is there a built in function Google added to S3 Jelly Bean OS to track the phone? (I know BlackBerry have their official app called BB Protect) BB Protect even won't allowed to switch SIM without a password too!

If not, I am looking into Lookout mobile app. The only problem is that I am not sure any third party app like that have the ability to turn on GPS remotely through mobile network, if someone turns off my GPS? This shouldn't be a problem if there is a app made by Google which can bypass GPS ON/OFF restrictions over the net.

Do we have a Google made app or what do you guys use?

Thank you and enjoy Christmas!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Wheres My Droid, great app, get the paid version. You can have your own ringtone alert, it will take a pic with front and back camera and send you GPS coordinates of your phone location, lock and wipe too. I have Lookout but have WMD for phone location.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I use SamsungDive. It's a Samsung thing. Works fine.
There are other options with my carrier too. Rogers wireless has a find my phone feature.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all... I am now using LookOut so far.... and SamsungDive is no go for me since I can not find a way to link my current Samsung account or create a new account.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
LookOut is what I am using.

LookOut also has one called "Plan B" that you can remotely install and run AFTER it is lost. It doesn't appear to work on my SIII though.

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Lookout was nice but a CPU and battery hog so had to go lol. Life360 a lil better

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Anyone know how good is it in Canada? LookOut mobile is very good in fact GPS locking. I know this has to do with the great GS III GPS chip as well. But I found some GPS tracking programs takes looooong time to find the phone because the servers they use are either too slow or something other that that is wrong in their end.

It is sad that so many options in technologies out there for US customers while some of them have half of the functions and performance in Canada(or any country other country).

EDIT: Forgot to let you guys know that I have a 3500 mAh Seidio battery :cool: on my GS III so battery life is not a concern. But over usage of CPU could be a problem. So far after 24 hours or so on LookOut, no CPU slow down.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You can try WMD for free also. I like that if I can't find my phone and it's on vibrate our silent, it will turn my phone in for 10 minutes and ring it for 10 mins.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Android Lost and Cerberus are the best. I use Android lost rooted which gives you more controls. Works well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Kaspersky Mobile Security has many of the same features as BB Protect as well as more than adequate malware protection.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I use look out, and I seem to like all of their apps. I finally did a factory reset last week, and during the process I let my battery drain completely. Well during the drain Lookout sent me an email with the phone's latest location while it was at a very low %.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I use look out, and I seem to like all of their apps. I finally did a factory reset last week, and during the process I let my battery drain completely. Well during the drain Lookout sent me an email with the phone's latest location while it was at a very low %.

Yes you can set signal flare for Lookout.

Avenger

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd second Cerberus as being the best. I have used it extensively and am really pleased. You can make it completely hidden as well, which is great in the event someone gets a hold of it.

freddyd165

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I would second Avast for a number of reasons.
1) Low power consumption,
2) anti-virus protection,
3) GPS tracking if lost,
4) you can tell the phone to call a number and can listen to conversation of whoever may have it,
5) sound an alarm,
6) lock the phone
7) forward SMS messages and call logs from your phone
8) wipe phone data
plus a few other functions. My phone is not rooted. There are, I believe, two versions of Avast for rooted and unrooted phones and best of all its all Free!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95