S3 or Nexus 4??

maisam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i was wondering what phone i should choose.
What phone is better, easier to use, can someone tell me the differences?
Thanks

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
All about preference. The Nexus is pure, vanilla android while Samsung adds their own touches to the s3. I personally prefer the s3 because it has expandable memory and a removable battery, the nexus doesn't. Also depends on what carrier you use. The s3 is LTE capable, depending on the carrier. The nexus is not.

Those items I listed might not be a big deal to some people though. Just do your research and im sure you'll be happy with either phone. Both are great devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung will be easier to use... and for real world purposes I think it's the better phone. If you want to have the absolute latest version of Android at all times... then get the Nexus 4.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
All about preference. The Nexus is pure, vanilla android while Samsung adds their own touches to the s3. I personally prefer the s3 because it has expandable memory and a removable battery, the nexus doesn't. Also depends on what carrier you use. The s3 is LTE capable, depending on the carrier. The nexus is not.

Those items I listed might not be a big deal to some people though. Just do your research and im sure you'll be happy with either phone. Both are great devices.
^ ^ ^ Agree.

One newly amazing convenience?with the S3, for me?is the sheer speed of 4G LTE! :O
LTE just got up & running in our area a few weeks ago, and it's noticeably faster than our AT&T High Speed Internet Wi-Fi. Like, Slam-Bam!...fast.
But like NewMind said, some things might not or shouldn't oughta be a big deal to some, but if data speed is one of them? then LTE, if available, should be a consideration, imo.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Depends the s3 is a top of the line phone and doesn't receive updates very often, in fact its probably nearing the end of its life cycle.

The nexus 4 is mid range with no sd but it does run straight aosp, and gets updates straight from Google and it will probably continue to receive updates for the next 3-5 years.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4, comes with stock soft keys, you will get the latest updates ROMs, all in all the better choice Imo

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2

My notification bar >>>>>> yours

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, i was wondering what phone i should choose.
What phone is better, easier to use, can someone tell me the differences?
Thanks

What do you want out of a phone? What's important to you?

As far as upgrades, the S3 has been updated to Jelly Bean (4.1.1), and an update to 4.1.2 has already started rolling out in Europe, and is likely to roll out here. 4.2? No one really knows.

Android Central called the S3 the best Android phone in 2012: Android Central's 2012 Editor's Choice awards | Android Central So did AC readers: The 2012 Android Central Reader's Choice Awards | Android Central (The Nexus 4 was runner up in both lists.)

I like the enhancements that Samsung has added to stock Android, and think the advantages of "pure Android" are greatly overstated. The S3 meets my needs today, and I expect will meet them for 20 months, after which I can upgrade to whatever the latest / greatest is.

Finally, read this: Should I upgrade? Samsung Galaxy S3 versus the Nexus 4 | Android Central , but recognize this is written by Android Geeks for Android Geeks. I would rate the GS3 higher in hardware (removable battery, SD slot, and for my needs the performance of the S3 is stellar and the screen excellent), software (the extra features provide me more value than does having "stock" Android), and LTE capability isn't something to ignore.

I think it comes down to what you want. If you're an Android geek (no insult intended), a Nexus phone is the way to go. If you're heavy into gaming on your phone, the Nexus is probably better. If you value high speed data, and live in an LTE area (or a soon to be LTE area), the Galaxy will be much faster. If you take a lot of pictures, the s3's camera is much better. If you watch a lot of movies or TV on your phone, the Nexus has a better screen, but I think you'd only notice if comparing both phones side by side, and the S3's removable storage means you can keep more of them on your device. Ditto with music: if you'll fill up a 32 GB SD card with mp3 files, you'll want the S3.

Neither phone is "better." Each phone is better for certain uses. Only you know how you'll use it.

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I would go for the S3. I was thinking of the N4, but with low memory, no battery swap, no sd card, and all the multiple issues it has, I decided to stick with Samsung.

I have an S3 and love it. I actually like all the gimmicks that touchwiz offers. I love the pull down menus better, removable battery, sd card, hard home button, battery life, screen, and LTE.

If the N4 was made by Samsung, then it would be a tough choice, but I am not fond of LG.

I wanted a backup phone so I just got the Note 2 and love it. I'm loving Samsung technology and what they have done so far.

If you don't need a phone right away, you should hold out for the S4 in the summer. It'll be worth the wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Really, the Nexus 4 just has the build quality and fast software updates going for it, in addition to an awesome screen that trounces the S3. If you like the option of removable batteries and SD cards, then there really isn't a choice... but going with the Nexus 4 really takes care of the largest problems of Android (cheap plastic phones with fragmented OS updates), so you can feel superior to all of your iPhone toting friends if you are into that. Versus the Note II? That's a more reasonable comparison and one that I am having a difficult time making (as I own both but want to sell one of them).

hunterx82

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I would go for the S3. I was thinking of the N4, but with low memory, no battery swap, no sd card, and all the multiple issues it has, I decided to stick with Samsung.

I love my s3. I got it just before the nexus 4 came our so I took a chance at it being comparable. The hardware is superior and if latest updates are an issue for you then you can always root and install a ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Really, the Nexus 4 just has the build quality and fast software updates going for it, in addition to an awesome screen that trounces the S3. If you like the option of removable batteries and SD cards, then there really isn't a choice... but going with the Nexus 4 really takes care of the largest problems of Android (cheap plastic phones with fragmented OS updates), so you can feel superior to all of your iPhone toting friends if you are into that. Versus the Note II? That's a more reasonable comparison and one that I am having a difficult time making (as I own both but want to sell one of them).

Trounces the screen of the s3?....I disagree there is only 14 PPI difference and the colors are ten times better on the s3. The N4 screen is nice but I would not say it is any better just a bit different. I have them both side by side and watching videos and movies on the s3 is far superior. Also I'd like to point out that the battery life on the N4 is completely underwhelming and it doesn't even have 4G. Not to mention you can root your s3 and have updates pretty much whenever. I'm running 4.2 right now with zero issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Depends the s3 is a top of the line phone and doesn't receive updates very often, in fact its probably nearing the end of its life cycle.

The nexus 4 is mid range with no sd but it does run straight aosp, and gets updates straight from Google and it will probably continue to receive updates for the next 3-5 years.

The s3 is NOWHERE near its life cycle. Idk what made u think that lol

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Trounces the screen of the s3?....I disagree there is only 14 PPI difference and the colors are ten times better on the s3. The N4 screen is nice but I would not say it is any better just a bit different. I have them both side by side and watching videos and movies on the s3 is far superior. Also I'd like to point out that the battery life on the N4 is completely underwhelming and it doesn't even have 4G. Not to mention you can root your s3 and have updates pretty much whenever. I'm running 4.2 right now with zero issues.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference, but I think most would agree that the IPS display of the N4 beats the pentile AMOLED display of the S3. The color reproduction of the S3 (if my Note 2 is anything to go by) is nice for viewing videos and games, but its pretty obvious the colors are blown out even in the standard display mode. It makes viewing any display that isn't an AMOLED seem disappointing in comparison. One thing that I do enjoy about TouchWiz is being able to select from a series of display choices to better suit what you want, however. And in fairness, the N4 screen can seem washed out in comparison to other displays (interestingly, the color calibration of the entire Nexus series appears to be the same across the board, judging from my time with the N7 and N10; compared to even the iPhone 5 and iPad 3/4's retina displays, they all seem pretty washed out). The S3 screen is not bad by any means, though. Agree to disagree? ;)

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

The Nexus 4 is a mid-range phone?? Mid-range in terms of what exactly? It has a quad-core processor, 2 gigs of RAM, same MP camera as just about every phone out there to go along with similar picture quality, BETTER build quality than 90% of Android phones (HTC Phones will always hold the build quality crown in my opinion). It matches or surpasses the specs of just about ANY phone that was released in 2012. I don't know how someone could say the N4 is mid range unless you mean the price?

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Get the S3 if you want a full featured phone.

Get the Note 2 if you want the biggest and baddest full featured plus phone out now.

Get the N4 if all you care about is being on the latest version of stock Android, but I'm not sure where you're going to find it at the play store price as it's always sold out.

Last edited:

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
In the end, it comes down to personal preference, but I think most would agree that the IPS display of the N4 beats the pentile AMOLED display of the S3. The color reproduction of the S3 (if my Note 2 is anything to go by) is nice for viewing videos and games, but its pretty obvious the colors are blown out even in the standard display mode. It makes viewing any display that isn't an AMOLED seem disappointing in comparison. One thing that I do enjoy about TouchWiz is being able to select from a series of display choices to better suit what you want, however. And in fairness, the N4 screen can seem washed out in comparison to other displays (interestingly, the color calibration of the entire Nexus series appears to be the same across the board, judging from my time with the N7 and N10; compared to even the iPhone 5 and iPad 3/4's retina displays, they all seem pretty washed out). The S3 screen is not bad by any means, though. Agree to disagree? ;)

I see your point....its kinda lame for me when I prefer to watch videos and movies on my phone verses my N7 also. Regardless I still enjoy it either way. If they put a 1080p smiled display on the s4 I would be very happy. I didn't think I would like it right away but it has grown on me and become a preference.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Out of curiosity, in what ways do you consider the S3 higher-end than the N4?

Also, while it likely won't be updated officially as long as the N4 I highly doubt the S3 is nearing the end of its life cycle.

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

I totally agree 100%. After playing with my friends N4, I really didn't care for it and prefer the screen on the S3 much better.

The N4 has nice looks and great feel, but that's all I liked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s