Samsung Galaxy S3: WiFi connection problems since firmware upgrade

Nathan Roth

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 wifi connection problems since firmware upgrade

I have the same problem. ... do u work for Verizon? I've done everything but the factory reset because that doesn't seem to work anyway. I wonder do all of the other people have the white Galaxy s3 or is it all of them

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Nathan,
You didn't specify exactly what your problem is, or which suggestions you've already tried.
Yes, all of the other people, the ones that don't have the blue/purple or red or brown SGSIII, have the white one.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

mvelasco2

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm on sprint gs3 and also have wifi issues but not as drastic, for me it's only apparent when at home wifi. What happens is push email (exchange 2003) stops working. I flashed back to sprint stock 4.1.1 rom and all was well until it updated back to 4.1.2. I then flashed wickedsensations 4.1.2 and same push email issue is happening. When I turn off wifi at home push email works normally. This confirms issue with 4.1.2. Thing is I like the rom I have now and don't want to try a 4.2 rom or anything like that.

Scott Reyling

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

I found a solution that worked for me. I tried just about everything mentioned, except for a hard reset.
The solution that worked for me was setting my WPA algorithm on my modem to AES. It would seem the 128 bit encryption works, anything more extensive doesn't. Hope this helps anyone else!

CarrieAnn71272

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I'm super frustrated as well since last firmware upgrade. My signal is at 4bars but I can't make a call on TM 4G. I have to restart my phone when this sporadic thing occurs and typicay that won't work. I have to connect to wifi turn on wifi calling and wait. Then can only call on WiFi. I called TM and they want me to do what they told you. Back up and do a hardware restore.I don't have confidence in this because the people telling me have only asked if I've rebooted. When is someone gonna wakeup????? I don't have any other phone lines and am a single mom. Not happy that I'm in this situation. :-\
Ps...screens also started changing on me...the keypad was on top vs bottom then after reboot back to normal. This is just 1example.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

CarrieAnn71272,
Sorry to hear that you're having problems. It sounds like you're having a different problem than what this thread is mainly discussing (problems connecting to WiFi after the last firmware update to 4.1.2).
But we'll try to help you if we can.

When you say that your signal is at 4 bars, you are referring to the cellular signal (the stair-step icon) and not the WiFi signal (the curved lines with up/down arrows below it), right? With 4 bars of cellular signal you should have absolutely no problem making calls.

Can you post a screenshot of your firmware information? From any Home screen, press the Menu button, select Settings, scroll down and select "About phone", then scroll to the bottom and take a screenshot - it'll look something like this (although this information is from a Verizon phone)uploadfromtaptalk1371098611621.jpgIf you have already tried rebooting the phone, and if you've already done a battery pull, then it may be that a Factory Reset is the next logical step. To ensure that you don't lose any important information, do the following:
1. Be sure all of your contacts are synced through Google
2. Be sure your calendar (if you use that) is also synced through Google
3. Copy all of your pictures/videos to your SDCard (if you have one) or back them up to the cloud (this Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos is one way to handle that for free) or copy them to your PC using Kies Air.
4. Use something like:
Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup
or
MyBackup Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro (there's a trial version also)
to backup your apps, app data, SMS, pictures/videos, call Logs, etc to your SDCard. I believe you can also use Helium to make a backup to your PC if you don't have an SDCard, or you can just make a backup to the cloud (Google Drive; Box; Dropbox; etc.) if you like.

I'm not sure what you meant by the screens changing on you - if you could capture a screenshot that would be helpful.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

:) Just solved this issue with my Galaxy S3 / Android 4.1.2/ Talk Talk Hauwei Fibre Router....

Went into Router settings (192.168.1.1 in internet browser) and changed the wifi mode from 802.11b/g/n to 802.1n only.

Instant internet access on Galaxy- confirmed by turning data off. All other devices also seem happy (PCs/ Galaxy Tab 10.1 etc)

Hope this helps!

Sunderland Computer Repairs/ PrinterFood

UPDATE:
Nope! Lasted less than an hour before the dreaded 'Internet not available via ....' message. Sorry- I got all excited! :(

Last edited:

Chris Sturm

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site

goto your "location"settings, theres 3 boxes for 3 different options make sire none of them are "checked green"..I have a galaxy 3 and it worked, internet is pretty fast now

tempsolution

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

Well, I had the same problem: I was able to connect to my home WiFi (so the Galaxy S3 told me I was connected with the router) but there was no data stream, so no internet, email, etc. My solution: change the WiFi band number aka WiFi channel number on the router. My router used channel number 1 because that channel was relatively 'unoccupied' by other routers in the neighbourhood (if you are interested in the spectrum distribution you can download the app WiFi Analyzer from farproc on your S3 to see the spectrum and usage of channels). Now, when I changed the channel to a more default channel (now it is channel 5), the internet connectivity immediately worked.

So, login to your router (i.e. by typing the ip-number stated on the back of your router in your webbrowser on your laptop and fill in the username and pwd also on the back of your router), go to your settings (unfortunately the interface of every router is different so it is difficult to state here exactly the steps to follow) and look for the Channel or Band dropdown list. Change this number to 5 and save the settings. Your router may have to restart but that does the trick, at least in my case.

IronicRhetoric

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

I was having the same problem until a little while ago. After reading some tricks I ran into a fix myself. I've had the S3 since last September and on Sunday I had water damage. The phone was always connected to my Home Wi-Fi and I had no problems until I received this new S3 yesterday. I setup and updated the phone, but the S3 wouldn't connect, it simply said "Saved, Secured," referring to the wireless password.

I logged into my Router (standard Motorola SURFboard from TWC) using address http://192.168.0.1/ A secondary address http://192.168.100.1/ can also be used. Default username: admin --- Default password: motorola

For Linksys routers it's http://192.168.1.1. Alternate address is 192.168.2.1. There are a lot of username/passwords for Linksys depending on various things so you may need to call your ISP. Found this on a website though:

Default usernames:
Linksys BEFW11S4, WRT54G: admin
Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Ethernet routers: Administrator
Linksys Comcast routers: comcast
All other Linksys routers: [none]

Default passwords:
Linksys BEFW11S4: [none]
Linksys Comcast routers: 1234
All other Linksys routers: admin

Anyhow once you are logged into the router you need to find the page where it asks about MAC addresses. For my Motorola SURFboard it was under the Wireless tab in the Access Control menu on the left. Just do a bit of browsing in the Wireless section and you should find it. Once you've found it you need to find the MAC address for your phone. Although it was all ready at the bottom of the router page with an ERROR I did not know the MAC address referred to my phone so I simply found it in my phone. For my S3 it was in Settings > Wi-Fi > then press the Menu button which should bring up...well a menu. Click Advanced and voila! Your MAC address is there. Enter it exactly into one of the many fields in your router settings and check or click Allow. For my SURFboard it was a drop down menu and I chose Allow and then followed up by clicking Apply. Return to your phone and connect it with the proper wireless password and you should be in.

If this at all seems confusing, calling your ISP and asking asking them how to add a MAC address to your router settings will suffice. Of course you will still need to find your MAC address on your phone.

Matheus180676

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

Hi there.

I had got the same problem. Since Jelly Bean 4.1.2 wirelless connection becames a nightmare. For days i search the net to an alternative to solve the problem, without any sucess. All complains detected that the problem began with firmware update.

Then i found a site that contains a newer update, similar to S4 OS: [Update] Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware: How to get it on your S3. - AndroidPIT

I decide to take the risk and since the upgrade to 4.2.2. the wireless problem has finished. Thanks God.

I recomend to root your phone after to remove the inicialization / shut down logo and to remove some Hebrew programs.

To root your phone: Root Galaxy S3 On Android 4.1.2 [How-To Tutorial] | Redmond Pie

To change boot animations: How to get the Original Samsung Boot Animation on the Galaxy S3 Pro Ultimate!!! - YouTube

To remove native programs i recomend TITANIUM BACKUP app on Google Store. Simple and efficient.

The 4.2.2. OS is stable and 100% working.

And I got wireless conection!!!

Hope it helps you like it helped me

Stefano Loppo

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

i've been tried all the solution reading on this forum, but nothing seems to work..But i have found the solution ( for me) and i hope for everyone with the same problem, i've been download Wificonnection fixer from Zextr, i've installed it...i was going to wifi and im trying to connect to my own wifi, when it will show the error, open the programme download and click on fix wifi connection. IT WORK FOR ME...hope this helps

Juan De

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

That's a router setting, typically in the Wireless subsection of the menus. It's the Security type (None, WPA, WPA2, WEP, etc). If you really think it might be the security type causing the problem, the simplest thing to do is set it to None (that way you don't have to fiddle with passwords). If that fixes your problem, then enable security starting with the most stringent.

Thanks for that couldn't connect with s3 or tablet. Disabled security and both connected straight away. Re enabled security and both ph and tablet connect to wifi with out problems.

stacerz02

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

This resulted in me getting a message back in Spanish! I hope my phone is ok now! :mad::mad:

stacerz02

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Unbelievable. I just sat on the phone with Samsung for over an hour as they tried to "troubleshoot" my wi-fi issues. My wi-fi won't even turn on - it won't turn the normal neon green color it usually does when it turns on. Rather, it stays a pale green and when I move the bar for wi-fi within settings it simply states "turning on...", but never turns on. Samsung said my only option is to do a factory reset which deletes all contacts, texts, apps, photos & the like. It's unbelievable this is Samsung's method of recourse for this troublesome issue that is affecting so many. It's times like this I wish I had my iPhone back. I'm sickened. Does anyone have a solution for this issue? Please help! Thanks so much. I do appreciate it! It's been a very long week of trying every setting known to man in my phone. :p

c_nitty

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Thank you for this I have been sent 5 phones by Verizon where I could not get the wifi to work till I found your post. AT&T Uverse modem/router.l

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

(Deleted - Tapatalk showed me some totally bogus post that I replied to, then it refreshed and that post was nowhere to be found.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress