Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Flashing Blue

Occasionally when I press the unlock button when the screen has been turned off the screen will quickly flash a solid blue colour, similar to the blue when a PC blue-screens. After the screen flashes blue it returns to normal. Has anyone else experienced this or know what it may be? I'm worried it is a manufacturer fault and that the screen is going to die soon.

Thanks!

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Flashing Blue

I've never heard of that or seen that problem listed in the forum before. Do you have the brightness turned all the way up, by any chance? Has it just started doing this? You may want to try a Factory Reset to eliminate any software that you've loaded from the picture - if it still happens after that then it sounds like it's time for a replacement.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

This has constantly started happening to me too... the screen is usually fine but when I unlock it, it flashes blue, same as what the op said

If it started recently, then look at what apps you've recently installed or updated. Are you using a 3rd party lockscreen or launcher?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I am using ADW Launcher EX. I can't be entirely sure when it started to happen and it is quite irregular, maybe happens once every few days. I also have the brightness set to auto, I can't imagine that would cause this.
    Perhaps I will try a factory reset and see if this helps, I just don't wanna

Before a factory reset, I'd try going back to the stock launcher for a bit and see what happens. Although I realize that might be almost as painful as a factory reset.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Haha, that's a good idea. Factory reset will be second last resort, last resort being sending it back.

Hi it also happens to my stock I9300 JB 4.1.2.
    Can it be the launcher? Are we all using the same launcher?
    Here I have Apex Pro ...
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I have been using ADW Launcher EX so no, we aren't using the same but perhaps it could be possible that both of the launchers are causing issues. I've only just switched back to Touchwiz so I'll monitor it over the next week and reply with my findings.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Update: screen flashing blue still happened with the removal of launchers. I've now performed a factory reset ( >_< ) and will monitor how this goes and reply.

I was recently at my local best buy chatting up the phone tech. He claims there are lots of problems with the s3 flashing a color when unlocking or sometimes when pressing a screen. Sounds like a hardware issue. Hope you guys get it worked out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sounds to me like a Best Buy "tech" who's knowledge of the phone comes from rumors and teenage angst. In other words, the typical BB employee, who can barely manage to work their time card system, and can't manage to work their internal ordering system without help.

Look through the forums here, or at Phandroid, or XDA. How many people with this issue do you see? So far, I've seen the two people in this post, and no others. Sounds like a real wide-spread problem all right.

AnAndroidDroid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Sounds to me like a Best Buy "tech" who's knowledge of the phone comes from rumors and teenage angst. In other words, the typical BB employee, who can barely manage to work their time card system, and can't manage to work their internal ordering system without help.

Look through the forums here, or at Phandroid, or XDA. How many people with this issue do you see? So far, I've seen the two people in this post, and no others. Sounds like a real wide-spread problem all right.
    No one said it was wide spread. Just saying it was happening in the area. Millions of devices were sold so it's a small percentage. Sorry you have to be rude about it.

Quote Originally Posted by trunks527 View Post
    No one said it was wide spread. Just saying it was happening in the area. Millions of devices were sold so it's a small percentage. Sorry you have to be rude about it.
    Your words: "He claims there are lots of problems with the s3 flashing a color when unlocking" Two or three people does not equal "lots of problems. At worst, it seems to be an incredibly isolated issue. There's no evidence to justify the word "lots."

Not being rude, just trying to introduce evidence instead of hearsay. Oh, if you mean my comments about the BB techs, then I suppose that might be rude, but based on my experiences it's also pretty accurate. Last time I tried to order something in store it took three of them to figure out how to do it. The first gave up, called his supervisor, who also couldn't figure it out, and had to call a manager. And this at a best buy with the new store format, and "improved" customer service.

AnAndroidDroid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Your words: "He claims there are lots of problems with the s3 flashing a color when unlocking" Two or three people does not equal "lots of problems. At worst, it seems to be an incredibly isolated issue. There's no evidence to justify the word "lots."

Not being rude, just trying to introduce evidence instead of hearsay. Oh, if you mean my comments about the BB techs, then I suppose that might be rude, but based on my experiences it's also pretty accurate. Last time I tried to order something in store it took three of them to figure out how to do it. The first gave up, called his supervisor, who also couldn't figure it out, and had to call a manager. And this at a best buy with the new store format, and "improved" customer service.
    Lots depending on where I'm located. But take it as you will. No point in arguing on the Internet.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

It has been almost 2 weeks since I have performed the factory reset and my screen has not flashed blue since. I guess that it may have been caused by an incompatibility with an app I was using with the android OS. Unfortunately I do not know which one.

Anyone tried sending it for repair?

I took my Galaxy S3 to service center under warranty to repair the mic. They fixed the mic but now I am seeing the blue screen too when I unlock...

Any idea what may be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by You Sheng Chong View Post
    Repair of what? The screen flashing blue? See below.

Quote Originally Posted by jahnootoko View Post
    I took my Galaxy S3 to service center under warranty to repair the mic. They fixed the mic but now I am seeing the blue screen too when I unlock...

Any idea what may be the problem?
    See post 16. Have you tried a factory reset?

tried factory reset twice before.....still experiencing it........
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

After doing a factory reset I have started to experience it again. The only app I could possibly attribute it to is SwiftKey which I downloaded using Aptoide. After the factory reset I have been downloading apps intermittently to observe if there had been any effects and it appears that it started happening not long after I downloading SwiftKey, this could just be a coincidence though.

I spoke to my carrier who offered to send it away but I don't have another phone to use in the interim and feel that they'd probably fail to fix it.

tried factory reset twice before.....still experiencing it........
    You haven't by any chance downloaded SwiftKey from Aptoide?

i'm using swiftkey....but from another website......but i remember i have this issue before i install swiftkey......anyway, will uninstall swiftkey and observe for a few days.......
    Are you using any launcher at the mean time?

Ok...don think is swiftkey.........just saw it again.................

I ordered my Samsung Galaxy S3 last Saturday. Received it on Wed and while watching TV tonight, look over and my phone is flashing. Turned it off, came back on flashing and the screen looks grainy. Tried factory reset....and now while it is still flashing, I no longer have a screen...well...there is a light blue frame around what used to be a picture, with a big black blob in the center. I live in a remote area, and only have either internet or Costco (and I seem to remember that Costco can't replace a phone ordered from T-Mobile online). Really, really unhappy right now.

It's unfortunate, but manufacturing processes aren't perfect. Defects do slip through. They're pretty rare, but that doesn't help you. If you've done a factory reset, it's probably a hardware issue. I'd try pulling the battery for a few minutes, because it's easy to do, but it probably won't solve your problem. Call t-mobile and see what they say. Maybe they'll ship you a new one right away and not wait until they get your current one back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast