What do you use Tec Tiles for?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I got a set of free ones from the Samsung promotion for registering your phone, but I'm not sure what to do with them. Most of the suggestions I've seen so far (setting up profiles for car, work, etc.) I handle with the Setting Profiles app. So let's here it: How do Tec Tiles make your life (or at least phone use) better?

skld

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I use NFC Task Launcher with TecTiles. I have a couple at home and at work. When I leave home, I scan the one leaving work that disables wifi, auto screen brightness, and vibrate for my train ride. When I get into the office, I scan the one that enables wifi and Bluetooth, changes ringer volume and set screen brightness. Leave work, disable wifi and Bluetooth, auto screen brightness and vibrate. Get back home, enable wifi and set screen brightness to dim.

I also have one at home for leaving for the car. It disables wifi, Bluetooth on, starts Google maps and Pandora.

that is how I use mine. Always interested to hear how others use theirs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have one stuck to my door inside of my home so when I get home, I pull my phone out and touch it to the tectile and it turns wifi on, turns the screen to auto brightness and calls my daughter so I can see how her school day was. These things are awesome. Every time I come inside my home with someone and do that, they're like "Now that is hot". New technology is impressive and I'm loving it. That's my story. Hope everyone else is enjoying their tectiles as well. Go Samsung!

I am Samsungma Bin Laden, leader of the Android Taliban. I will blow up 1,000 iPhones to prove my loyalty to Android

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I wrote Samsung a NASTY letter about that promo for the free tectiles and flipcase only being available in the USA. I fought and fought as a Canadian and ended up getting a flip case, but not Tectiles as they are not available in Canada yet :(

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I wrote Samsung a NASTY letter about that promo for the free tectiles and flipcase only being available in the USA. I fought and fought as a Canadian and ended up getting a flip case, but not Tectiles as they are not available in Canada yet :(

At least you got something. Did they reply as to why the offer was only for the US?

I am Samsungma Bin Laden, leader of the Android Taliban. I will blow up 1,000 iPhones to prove my loyalty to Android

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
At least you got something. Did they reply as to why the offer was only for the US?

Probably because it's being paid for by the U.S. subsidiary, and not Samsung International or Samsung's Canadian subsidiary. If you read the fine print, most rebates and promos are country specific.

Athenazoe78

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have one in my car, setting brightness and volume up und starting Navigon and wifi off. At home one at my front door to enable wifi and one on my bedside to turn brightness down, volume down, set alarm.
I like it very much. Works flawlessly.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think we're missing the OP's question. Re reading his post again, he's actually asking What tasks can he set a tectile to do that he isn't able to have his perform through his "profiles app". Maybe he's interested in seeing if tectiles are worth buying or trying when he can get the same results from his app that he sets his profiles up with.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think NFC tags can really do anything that you can't just do yourself, whether it's with Tasker, Llama, Profiles or just manually. That being said, it's pretty dang cool to lay your phone up against a tag and have it do your bidding automagically. For about $5 on Amazon you can get yourself 10 anti-metal NFC tags and play with it almost anywhere you want to go.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

It was a LONG drawn out back and forth session. I was getting this dullards from Samsung Canada support that it was obvious were not even reading my emails.
For example I wrote this long email explaining the situation about the USA getting free flip cases and tectiles. The reply I got was literally;

I understand you want to buy a flipcase. These can be purchased at blah blah blah
Thank you
Phil

I was also "Hung up" on by their live chat support when the guy was at a loss for an answer.
So finally I wrote some big wig I found an email address for and then things started to move :)
So long story short. Even though SAMSUNG says "SAMSUNG NORTH AMERICA" it's quite obviously divided and Canada get's
screwed out of the promos.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It was a LONG drawn out back and forth session. I was getting this dullards from Samsung Canada support that it was obvious were not even reading my emails.
For example I wrote this long email explaining the situation about the USA getting free flip cases and tectiles. The reply I got was literally;

I understand you want to buy a flipcase. These can be purchased at blah blah blah
Thank you
Phil

I was also "Hung up" on by their live chat support when the guy was at a loss for an answer.
So finally I wrote some big wig I found an email address for and then things started to move :)
So long story short. Even though SAMSUNG says "SAMSUNG NORTH AMERICA" it's quite obviously divided and Canada get's
screwed out of the promos.

Wow. Just a little leg work but you got some progress. Good to hear

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think we're missing the OP's question. Re reading his post again, he's actually asking What tasks can he set a tectile to do that he isn't able to have his perform through his "profiles app". Maybe he's interested in seeing if tectiles are worth buying or trying when he can get the same results from his app that he sets his profiles up with.

To some extent that's true, but in general I think it will be useful for people to see how others use them. Hopefully we'll all see some things we hadn't thought of before. We probably don't need 200 posts saying "adjust the brightness,", but if that's really what people use them for then let's get it documented.

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I have one stuck to the back of my wifi-only iPad that turns on Mobile Hotspot on my S3. Swipe it again and it turns off Mobile hotspot.

I also have one at work as a joke that will open Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up Youtube video for anyone that tries to use it. :)

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
To some extent that's true, but in general I think it will be useful for people to see how others use them. Hopefully we'll all see some things we hadn't thought of before. We probably don't need 200 posts saying "adjust the brightness,", but if that's really what people use them for then let's get it documented.

:thumbup:

velvetelvis

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have one stuck to the back of my wifi-only iPad that turns on Mobile Hotspot on my S3. Swipe it again and it turns off Mobile hotspot.

I also have one at work as a joke that will open Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up Youtube video for anyone that tries to use it. :)

That iPad idea is fantastic.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

That's brilliant! I'm going to set one up to crank the volume all the way up and load Amon Amarth's "The Pursuit of Vikings" YouTube video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty