Is it possible to use S8 without giving up rights to privacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Himmit

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your time,

PRELUDE:
I was gifted this Galaxy S8 and never had a tablet before. My phone is neither Googleware nor Appleware. So I am use to my rights to privacy being respected.

ISSUE:
It appears that there in nothing I am permitted to do /w registering with Google or Samsung.

EXAMPLES:
I opted to use a privacy respecting search engine when online. In order to do that, I am required to register, then maybe I might be permitted to leave Google behind and use a search engine instead.
It seems everything I want to do I have to report to Google via a account.

QUESTION:
Is a Samsung account as rigid as a Google account? Or, is there a way around accounts and just browse the net? I just don't get the need for either.

Thanks for being around to help,
~h

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You can always use a browser like DuckDuckGo or Brave, both of which boast about making privacy a top concern -- but it's wise to keep an eye on the tech news, since companies like these will sometimes slip up, and you'll find something they did that was either accidental or sneakily intentional in regards to user privacy.

Samsung may sell your info to 3rd parties ("our subsidiaries and affiliates"): https://privacy.samsung.com/privacy/samsung. Google will never do so -- it's made clear in their privacy policy: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en-US#infosharing. Google doesn't have to sell anything to 3rd parties, because they have such a huge trove of ads that they can just use their algorithms to decide what advertising should be directed to the user -- no need to sell that data to anyone else for that purpose.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You can always use a browser like DuckDuckGo or Brave, both of which boast about making privacy a top concern -- but it's wise to keep an eye on the tech news, since companies like these will sometimes slip up, and you'll find something they did that was either accidental or sneakily intentional in regards to user privacy.
~
Also 'Startpage' . .

Screenshot_20231104_110537_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240316_174530_Samsung Internet.jpg

"Startpage is a global privacy technology company built around the principle of always putting privacy first. Our suite of easy-to-use privacy products helps anyone around the world to protect their personal data online.

We are known as the pioneers of private search, responsible for creating the world's first and most private search engine in 2006. Since then we have continued to build out our product offering to make privacy accessible to everyone. "

European roots​

"We were founded and remain headquartered in the Netherlands, which means that our users are protected by stringent European consumer privacy laws, including the GDPR. These are widely regarded as the strongest privacy protections in the world. Every search performed on Startpage is processed through our proprietary personal data protection technology. As part of this tech, users can choose to utilize only European servers."

Last edited:

Himmit

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You can always use a browser like DuckDuckGo or Brave, both of which boast
Nice, but this is the A8 TABLET.
here is process I can't break through /w signing off my rights.
  1. Open chrome stalker.
  2. type Startpage.com in URL > ENTER
  3. Opens Startpage.com and at top it says "Make Startpage your default search engine. [Add to Chrome]
    Click that to add Stapage and I get:
    "To download to your desktop sign into Chrome and enable sync or send yourself a reminder >>"
    The reminder assumes one has, or wants a Gmail and/or Outlook account. I use secure email.
  4. I know, I can type StartPage URL or maybe make a shortcut.
  5. In Chrome "Settings" - Under "Basics" I see
    "Search Engines"
    "Google"
    I click "Search engine" and am given a limited choice of known stalkers, except MAYBE DuckDuckGo.
I had hoped I could choose what I want. Talk about control!

I am aware of Google's latest privacy novels. It's why I don't want Google anything. I do keep up with search engine reports on changes. I have a preivacy respecting digital phone that I control, and several desktops each with one or more OS from Win 7, 10, 11, Ubuntu, Pop, and Pure OS.

This tablet is my first step into such things. Frankly, I don't like it. It's a box of billboards but willing to give it fair chance.

Thanks for the tips and opinions. I really do appreciate it.
~h

Himmit

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
First, this is NOT a Samsung Tab A so why it was shuttled here, I don't know nor know how a Tab A is the same.
What ever.
No, I didn't try the Brave or Duck app because I thought one was permitted to have a choice.

But my question might be why does any device need to download a program/script/add-on/app or whatever, when the browser offers the option to choose what one wants? Is the APPlication another mini-browser?

I see no reason why one may not just add whatever browser they want via any browser of their choice without more 'apps'

I will try Brave and Duck as you mentioned and most importantly, how they handle extensions that block stalkers, peeps and Google.

Thanks for the suggestion,
~h

Reactions: BEaRebel

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You initially said Galaxy S8, but then in a subsequent post (#4 in this thread), you said "A8 TABLET." That's where the confusion came into play (sorry about that -- partially blame Samsung for having a relatively confusing naming system!).

Is this the Galaxy S8 phone, or the Galaxy Tab S8 tablet?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
First, this is NOT a Samsung Tab A so why it was shuttled here, I don't know nor know how a Tab A is the same.
What ever.
No, I didn't try the Brave or Duck app because I thought one was permitted to have a choice.

But my question might be why does any device need to download a program/script/add-on/app or whatever, when the browser offers the option to choose what one wants? Is the APPlication another mini-browser?

I see no reason why one may not just add whatever browser they want via any browser of their choice without more 'apps'

I will try Brave and Duck as you mentioned and most importantly, how they handle extensions that block stalkers, peeps and Google.

~h
You were in the Samsung Galaxy S8 forum which is a phone and we don't have a dedicated Samsung A8 Forum so it was put in the Tab A , hope that clears things up and if you feel more comfortable can put it in "ask a question" Forum?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
What ever.

~h
How do you want/expect to initiate a Brave or Duck search without downloading its app and launching it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You were in the Samsung Galaxy S8 forum which is a phone and we don't have a dedicated Samsung A8 Forum so it was put in the Tab A , hope that clears things up and if you feel more comfortable can put it in "ask a question" Forum?
I suspect the OP has a Galaxy Tab S8, and first said "Galaxy S8" (omitting the "Tab" part, thus making it sound like the phone), then "A8 TABLET" (which I suspect they meant to type "S8 TABLET"). My guess, anyway.

Actually, upon re-reading the original post, I'm sure that's the case -- they said "I was gifted this Galaxy S8 and never had a tablet before"

Again, this is in large part thanks to Samsung's vast array of devices and their confusing naming scheme. :confused:

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I suspect the OP has a Galaxy Tab S8, and first said "Galaxy S8" (omitting the "Tab" part, thus making it sound like the phone), then "A8 TABLET" (which I suspect they meant to type "S8 TABLET"). My guess, anyway.

Actually, upon re-reading the original post, I'm sure that's the case -- they said "I was gifted this Galaxy S8 and never had a tablet before"

Again, this is in large part thanks to Samsung's vast array of devices and their confusing naming scheme. :confused:
Yeah a little confused but either way we can put in the proper forum whichever it is .

Reactions: B. Diddy

Himmit

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
How do you want/expect to initiate a Brave or Duck search without downloading its app and launching it?
When I open Google chrome and go to Settings and tap Google Search engines, there are only the top 4 stalkers and Duck, No where can I find where I enter what I want.

There is absolutely no need to download a "app" to change search engines. The "Galaxy Tab A8 - model SM-X200". The only reason I can see is the 'app' does more than just make the browser accept a search engine.

Thanks for your help, it really is appreciated,
~h

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your time,

PRELUDE:
I was gifted this Galaxy S8 and never had a tablet before. My phone is neither Googleware nor Appleware. So I am use to my rights to privacy being respected.

ISSUE:
It appears that there in nothing I am permitted to do /w registering with Google or Samsung.

EXAMPLES:
I opted to use a privacy respecting search engine when online. In order to do that, I am required to register, then maybe I might be permitted to leave Google behind and use a search engine instead.
It seems everything I want to do I have to report to Google via a account.

QUESTION:
Is a Samsung account as rigid as a Google account? Or, is there a way around accounts and just browse the net? I just don't get the need for either.

Thanks for being around to help,
~h
Samsung and Google accounts you need to sync your Data/settings photos/contacts etc.. I've been using both on many Androids/iPhones for years and never had an issue which you're referring to.

What phone are you using without Google or Samsung? I know u have this Samsung tablet.

Reactions: BEaRebel

Himmit

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
Thread reopened and cleaned up a bit. Keep it on topic, please, thanks.
Please delete my account. I don't know the rules defining what you decide is how you want things said. There ARE "other places" and I have answers already - not dictators telling me how to ask a question .
CIO

Status
Not open for further replies.