Question about notifications in the notification bar....

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been searching and searching and can't seem to come up with an answer to this question. I found a single post about it from back in December with zero replies and that's about it.

I've noticed with notifications from certain apps that the text you see after pulling down the notification bar is cut off. For example, I've been playing the game Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth and once in a while the game will send out a notification with a message about some kind of goings on within the world (just telling you to keep playing basically). The text in these notifications is cut off though and I cannot see the full notifications. It might look like "Please return to the game, your city is under...." and there seems to be no way to see the rest of the notification.

I noticed this again yesterday while roaming in the United States. My mobile data connection is not active while roaming and I receive a notification informing me of such, but the notification is cut off and I cannot fully read what it says. Example, "Mobile data has been lost while....". Clicking on the notification simply brings me to the network connections area of the settings menu.

I read that you are able to swipe down on a notification to see the full text if it is cut off, but this does not seem to work. Swiping left of right deletes a notification and holding down on it only brings up an "app info" window that when clicked opens your application manager.

Does anyone know if there is any way to actually view the rest of the text in these notifications that are being cut short? It's not really a huge deal to me, I'm just curious about it. I also read that you could easily see these notifications fully on the Galaxy S2, so why not on the S3? Any help is appreciated :)

edit: 4.1 Jellybean, if that has any bearing.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been searching and searching and can't seem to come up with an answer to this question. I found a single post about it from back in December with zero replies and that's about it.

I've noticed with notifications from certain apps that the text you see after pulling down the notification bar is cut off. For example, I've been playing the game Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth and once in a while the game will send out a notification with a message about some kind of goings on within the world (just telling you to keep playing basically). The text in these notifications is cut off though and I cannot see the full notifications. It might look like "Please return to the game, your city is under...." and there seems to be no way to see the rest of the notification.

I noticed this again yesterday while roaming in the United States. My mobile data connection is not active while roaming and I receive a notification informing me of such, but the notification is cut off and I cannot fully read what it says. Example, "Mobile data has been lost while....". Clicking on the notification simply brings me to the network connections area of the settings menu.

I read that you are able to swipe down on a notification to see the full text if it is cut off, but this does not seem to work. Swiping left of right deletes a notification and holding down on it only brings up an "app info" window that when clicked opens your application manager.

Does anyone know if there is any way to actually view the rest of the text in these notifications that are being cut short? It's not really a huge deal to me, I'm just curious about it. I also read that you could easily see these notifications fully on the Galaxy S2, so why not on the S3? Any help is appreciated :)

edit: 4.1 Jellybean, if that has any bearing.

I believe the notifications tells you a summary of what it wants to tell you, and when you click the notification, it takes you to the app.
I know when u slide down with 2 fingers on certain notifications (Email, screenshots, and possibly others), it will give u other options. I know some games i play remind me to play the game in the notification bar, and when I click it, it will take me to the app.

If you wanna read the whole notification, try putting ur phone in landscape mode and I believe it will show you more text.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
The default Touchwiz on the galaxy s3 doesn't have any landscape view option, only portrait.

I'm just wondering why there doesn't seem to be any way of reading a full notification if the text cuts off, seems kind of silly to me.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The default Touchwiz on the galaxy s3 doesn't have any landscape view option, only portrait.

I'm just wondering why there doesn't seem to be any way of reading a full notification if the text cuts off, seems kind of silly to me.

Yeah, I mean the portrait view space in only so big u know? I'm sure it gives u summary u can make out

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I mean the portrait view space in only so big u know? I'm sure it gives u summary u can make out

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

That isn't really the point though, of course I know which app is giving me a message and I can easily decypher what is going on. I was wondering if there was a way to see the entire text in the notification, irregardless of whether or not I can tell which app it's coming from or what it's trying to get across.

It's weird to me that some notifications seem to be cut off while others do not. Some notifications will cut off after half a line of text, where as email and text messages can take up half the screen without being cut off. Perhaps it is up to the app displaying the message? Again, it isn't a huge deal really because as you pointed out, even without the full text you can still get the point. I was just wondering if there was some trick to viewing more text if some gets cut off, just for the sake of knowing.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The fact that some cut off and some wrap would lead me to believe that it is not a limitation of the device, or the notification engine, but rather the way the app has coded notifications.

Android Aggie

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I have had this same question myself, and I believe you are correct: the app itself controls whether or not the notification expands to 2 lines. However, on my S3, when I rotate the device the notification window expands to landscape mode and I can normally see all (or almost all) of the notification text. Not sure why this doesn't seem to work for you.

Edit: Sorry, there does appear to be a nuance about how the notification shade rotates. You have to be in an app that has screen rotation capabilities in order for the shade itself to rotate. In other words, if you open the notification shade from the home screen, it will not rotate. However, if you open the Gmail app, then the notification shade will rotate by virtue of the fact that Gmail rotates. Hope that makes sense.

KCandroidite

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I use an app called Ultimate Rotation Control and it does make all screens protraitable (?). And you can manually adjust what individual apps do. I went through Getjar and got it free before deleting getjar!!

Testifyme

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I did lil research got positive result up to some extent... what I did was connected my phone Motorola XT910 through HDMI to TV and was able to see few more text in the notification log.. as the portrait turns to the landscape...:)

androidconvert

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It has been a while since you first posted so I'm sure that you have figured out an answer to your problem by now but I figured I'd post my 2 cents anyway since others may have the same issue. It's funny how the little things drive you crazy right? I have been trying to figure this problem out myself and this is the only post where I see this issue addressed. I use the chase mobile app to monitor transactions coming through on my credit card. On my old iphone, I used to get a pop up displaying the details of the transactions so I could know by just looking at the phone. On my new Note 3, I would only see the transactions partially and had to go and open the app with my password just to view the details of that transaction.

Well the solution is very simple... You just do a 2 finger slide downwards on the notification that is partially displayed and all will be revealed! It works in both portrait and landscape mode.

I've had this phone for 2 months now and I'm still learning new things about it everyday!

Last edited:

1rockj

May 26, 2015
Visit site
This issue still hasn't been addressed nearly 2 years later. I use a Nexus 5 with Lollipop. Yes, I'm aware that Landscape mode will allow me to see more of the text. But it still doesn't show me all of the text. The 2 finger slide only works on some types of notifications. And the notification log only shows that there was a notification, not what the text is. I would like the ability to read the full text of a notification that is sent to me on occasion. It doesn't have to be simple or easy, just doable. And more doable than hooking it up to an HDTV to be able to see just a little more of the text.

BabbittJE

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
And, now 2017, still unresolved. I, too, tried the 2-finger trick and that doesn't work for Samsung Galaxy S7 / Android, either. I ended up having to open Gmail and rotate it landscape to read more text but still cut off for some long ones. I wish I knew the answer to this. It's so annoying not to be able to read the entire notification. I had an Android on a Samsung Droid Charge and it had no problem showing me the entire notification. I simply held it down and it scrolled, letting me see the entire message. Oh, well, if anyone comes here and find a solution, please post. Thank you.

Knight Errant

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
And, now 2017, still unresolved. I, too, tried the 2-finger trick and that doesn't work for Samsung Galaxy S7 / Android, either. I ended up having to open Gmail and rotate it landscape to read more text but still cut off for some long ones. I wish I knew the answer to this. It's so annoying not to be able to read the entire notification. I had an Android on a Samsung Droid Charge and it had no problem showing me the entire notification. I simply held it down and it scrolled, letting me see the entire message. Oh, well, if anyone comes here and find a solution, please post. Thank you.

This really is ridiculous. This is a basic feature of Android. After all of these revisions, updates, and releases... it still works like crap. (And not even an app, add-on, or other such thing seems to exist to remedy this!)

It should _just_work_. Seems simple enough to make the default behavior, regardless of the app sending the notification, to be expandable.

NaturalCon

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I've just arrived here after googling the problem.

I'm using Android 7.1.1 on a Sony Xperia X5 so I don't know if this will work for everyone, but here's how I found I could read a notification that had been cut short in the notification bar:
  • Swipe down to open the notification shade
  • On the notification item that is cut short, place two fingers, one at the top and one at the bottom
  • Move your fingers apart in a kind of "spreading" motion

This makes the notification box bigger to show the full message in the shade without having to use the rotation.

I hope it helps someone else.

Karol Skoczyk

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
Hey all, two fingers trick doesn't work for me (SGS V Neo, Marshmallow) so I've just registered to share with you another solution. Install BIG Notifications app, grant it permission to read notifications and it allows you to read the whole text!

fr33spirit

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
I don't have this issue on my S3, or any other device EXCEPT my galaxy note 4 (Android 6.0.1 if that matters) and its had me and still continues to have me VERY AGGRAVATED! It's deff not the apps or anything bc on my other devices I can scroll and see an entire notification text but not on this piece of trash! Ugh..guess I'll have to install yet another app to fix a prob with the note 4! Ergh! If ANYONE figures out the reason behind this issue PLZ respond and enlighten me bc I can't seem to find info anywhere about it

Cocoa246

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
I own a Galaxy Note 4 and have been able to do this in the past with the two finger trick. It is easier performed when both fingers are parallel over the notification then scrolling down together.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non