Stopping spam with default email application

ryanirl

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I finally took the plunge and moved from blackberry about 6 months ago and got myself the new S3. Absolutely fantastic piece of kit and I'm so glad I made the switch.

The only slight issue I have is with email which is what I use most frequently. My inbox just gets littered with spam every day. From what I can see, there is no way to filter your "spam" folder from reaching your device. The BB i had worked the opposite way. Anything that hit the "spam" folder never got sent to my phone and there was no way of filtering this on your device. I tried K-9 briefly but It lacked selecting multiple mails and deleting them in one view (as far as I could tell)

Hope someone can just tell me I'm being stupid :) Thanks. Ryan

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
What email are you using? You are mainly going to have to filter the spam from assuming you have a web based email like Google Gmail and filter from within there first, that way you will eliminate what gets to your phone.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Correct, most spam filtering should be left to the email setting at the site not the phone. I have filters set at all my emails at the main website, weather it be Google, Hotmail or whom ever your use.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
What email are you using? You are mainly going to have to filter the spam from assuming you have a web based email like Google Gmail and filter from within there first, that way you will eliminate what gets to your phone.
Correct, most spam filtering should be left to the email setting at the site not the phone. I have filters set at all my emails at the main website, weather it be Google, Hotmail or whom ever your use.
I wanted to point out to the two responders above that the OP stated that the spam IS being filtered into a spam folder. S/He wants to know how to then keep it from coming to her/his phone.

With my email accounts that I use with the email app, they have a junk mail folder and I just don't sync that folder. I do check it occasionally on my computer to be sure things aren't there that shouldn't be. If you have a spam folder, just turn off the syncing as you can set it by folder.

If the problem is that your spam is no longer going into your spam folder, it might be that it is not done at the server level, but once you open the application. Then you'd have to talk to your IT folks about fixing the email program at the network level.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to point out to the two responders above that the OP stated that the spam IS being filtered into a spam folder. S/He wants to know how to then keep it from coming to her/his phone.

With my email accounts that I use with the email app, they have a junk mail folder and I just don't sync that folder. I do check it occasionally on my computer to be sure things aren't there that shouldn't be. If you have a spam folder, just turn off the syncing as you can set it by folder.

If the problem is that your spam is no longer going into your spam folder, it might be that it is not done at the server level, but once you open the application. Then you'd have to talk to your IT folks about fixing the email program at the network level.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
I would like to point out to you that what we both responded to the OP was correct and valid info. Syncing or not has nothing to do with her junk mail folder on the phone. You have to stop it before it gets there so if you use the desktop version of mail and apply the proper filters the spam will either stay there, Won't get through or be stopped at the server from being downloaded in the first place. Have a nice day and thank you for the reply.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
From what I can see, there is no way to filter your "spam" folder from reaching your device. The BB i had worked the opposite way. Anything that hit the "spam" folder never got sent to my phone and there was no way of filtering this on your device.
I would like to point out to you that what we both responded to the OP was correct and valid info. Syncing or not has nothing to do with her junk mail folder on the phone. You have to stop it before it gets there so if you use the desktop version of mail and apply the proper filters the spam will either stay there, Won't get through or be stopped at the server from being downloaded in the first place. Have a nice day and thank you for the reply.
Try reading before getting snarky.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I read the OPs post and nobody is getting Snarky. Thank you for your comments. Lastly BB is a totally different device and OS from what we are all talking about here. :)

Last edited:

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I read the OPs post and nobody is getting Snarky. Thank you for your comments. Lastly BB is a totally different device and OP from what we are all talking about here. :)
Removed. :)

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Try reading before getting snarky.

At the same time from the original post "My inbox just gets littered with spam every day". If I misunderstood I am sorry.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I took that to mean his inbox on his phone because things normally in the spam folder on his desktop are being pushed to the phone, which is why it sounds like a server issue where the spam is filtered at the computer and not the server.

And I wasn't calling you snarky. Just the person that responded to me, but it's all good now.

spring49

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a spam folder set up under my yahoo email but for some reason the spam mail is showing up in my inbox on my Samsung Galaxy 4. How do I edit this so that I don't get these? You mentioned "not syncing". How do I do that?

Roger Harrold

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
How do I stop my Yahoo spam folder from downloading to Phone

Hi
I have a Yahoo account and on my PC filter all spam mail. On my mobile all the spam appears as normal mail. How can I tell Yahoo not to sync the spam folder with the phone????:mad:

Babygirl0677

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Re: How do I stop my Yahoo spam folder from downloading to Phone

Hi
I have a Yahoo account and on my PC filter all spam mail. On my mobile all the spam appears as normal mail. How can I tell Yahoo not to sync the spam folder with the phone????:mad:

Did you ever get it figured out? I have the same issue with my S5 S6 and S7. it all shows up in my inbox. I read somewhere to click on more and mark it as spam, but there is no such thing. I'm pretty good with my cell settings but this yahoo inbox/spam thing is giving me a headache

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87