another battery question from s3 noob

jeffgravis

May 26, 2013
Visit site
So I have had this phone for a couple weeks and find battery life awful.

The below screen capture is from being on charge over night, turning off gps, off with wifi, on with power save and having screen set to auto. The phone was removed from charger and not touched for about 4.5 hrs.

Is this normal? Signal strength is two bars and am on lte network with rogers in canada.

Cheers
Jeff

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-26-10-49-00.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-26-10-49-00.png
    130.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I have had this phone for a couple weeks and find battery life awful.

The below screen capture is from being on charge over night, turning off gps, off with wifi, on with power save and having screen set to auto. The phone was removed from charger and not touched for about 4.5 hrs.

Is this normal? Signal strength is two bars and am on lte network with rogers in canada.

Cheers
Jeff

I would almost guess you have a somewhat of too weak of a signal. Phones spend a great deal of power staying connected to the phone signal they have, the stronger the signal, the less power it spends.
Although, in the screen shots, why was your Gallery accounting for 31% of your use? Just asking....

jeffgravis

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I thought the gallery use was higher than it should be as well but new to the phone so thought that might be normal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-26-10-49-11.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-26-10-49-11.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 21

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You certainly don't have a great signal (that bar should be green), but the Gallery numbers are whacky - the Screen should be higher by far. Try rebooting the phone (to stop whatever is going on with the Gallery) and just let it continue to drain down to about 25%.
And screenshot the Gallery details just because.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

jeffgravis

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Had to run out so ended up using phone a little more. Went to the local Rogers store to see what they could offer for advice. Turned on wifi.

The one thing he did mention is to close running apps. He did this by holding home key and closing everything - I thought this just brought up recent apps to easy switch between them and not running. To see running apps I would have to go to task manager. What is the difference between the two? And what exactly happens when you clear the RAM?; if I clear RAM it closes many apps but if I don't do anything and just clear it again 5 seconds later it is closing many apps - I have assumed the apps that are closing are required by Android.

The other thing he did mention was to increase the amount of time between checks of email. I had no delay and he indicated this would require network access all the time. So now set to an hour off peak and 15 min on peak.

More screen shots attached.
Cheers
Jeff

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-26-12-50-10.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-26-12-50-10.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_2013-05-26-12-50-29.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-26-12-50-29.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2013-05-26-12-50-21.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-26-12-50-21.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_2013-05-26-12-50-05.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-26-12-50-05.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 22

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Jeff,
Just forget what that person at the store told you about closing running apps - that's a bunch of hogwash. The only time you need to close a specific app (much less all of them) is if it's run out of control, which will usually be evident by a general slow down in the phone, or an app showing up at the top of the list in battery usage when you haven't been doing much of anything with it.
He is correct about the sync interval, though. You should check any apps that periodically access the Internet and make sure you're limiting their data access.
Your latest screenshots still reflect a sub-optimal connection, except the last part where it finally shows green.
Your phone was awake much too often, which probably accounts for its subpar performance - 6 1/2 hours, at 30%, isn't very good, particularly with only 30 minutes of screen on time.
Since you've changed the polling interval for email, give it a full charge and several hours of use and lets see if anything changes. You can also try:
BetterBatteryStats: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.asksven.betterbatterystats
GSam Battery Monitor Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro
SystemPanel: http://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel.r1
Wakelock Detector: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector
to see if any of them help she'd any light on what's going on.
BTW, you can leave WiFi (and GPS, if you occasionally use it) turned on all the time without taking a noticeable hit in performance or battery life.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Had to run out so ended up using phone a little more. Went to the local Rogers store to see what they could offer for advice. Turned on wifi.

The one thing he did mention is to close running apps. He did this by holding home key and closing everything -

Jeff,
Just forget what that person at the store told you about closing running apps - that's a bunch of hogwash.

+1 to what GSDer said. The amount of ignorance and misinformation the employee's of these stores demonstrate is just mind-boggling.

jeffgravis

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I charged and restarted my phone and am now getting battery life that I would expect. Screen taking most of the use, nothing by the gallery and last a full day, 12-16hrs and still at 50%.

Guess a restart was all it needed and I will have to keep that in mind goimg forward.

Cheers

Posted via Android Central App

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Check your Google accounts and see if you have Google Photos checked. If so, that is likely what was making your Gallery drain your battery.

After the initial sync with Google, your Gallery will not be nearly as active.