Samsung Galaxy S3 charging issue

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
any ideas what I can do?
Welcome to the forums!

You can start by providing a little more information:
- have you tried a different charger AND cable?
- if you turn the phone completely off and connect the charger, will it charge then?
- has something happened to the phone (dropped, yanked on cable while it was connected to micro-USB port, etc)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

j1mreeves

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes same problem twice with S3. Won't be getting another Samsung, can't trust them with this issue. Frankly it is a poor implementation/ quality of the micro usb port in the phone that is my issue. It moves around/ wiggles so I have to mess about with the lead wiggling it until it starts charging, but stops all the time when the lead moves, so I have to hold it. Totally rubbish. Will be going HTC One M8 next. I have emailed Samsung a snotty email telling them this... doubt it will change anything though.

GymProv

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
HELP! I tried this several times but all that happens is the phone shuts off. What am I doing wrong? The phone takes HOURS to charge to 75% and the battery is down to 14% in minutes. I replaced the battery. No change.

billymac00

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
yes, have similar issues. Changed battery, charger, outlet. Sent off to Samsung, they just returned insinuating "abuse" and unable to repair.
I've presumed it's the usb port...will post back when conclusive. I must read the Mar 31 proposed soln posted here

- - - Updated - - -

yes, have similar issues. Changed battery, charger, outlet. Sent off to Samsung, they just returned insinuating "abuse" and unable to repair.
I've presumed it's the usb port...will post back when conclusive. I must read the Mar 31 proposed soln posted here

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried this several times but all that happens is the phone shuts off.
Which 'this' are you referring to - the YouTube video in post #279? You're not doing THAT with the battery still in the phone, are you?
The phone takes HOURS to charge to 75% and the battery is down to 14% in minutes. I replaced the battery. No change.
Have you tried turning the phone off completely and then connecting the charger? It should take about two hours to reach a full charge (if you're using a 1A wall transformer). If it takes twice as long then there's something wrong with the charging circuit in the phone (or possibly the cable/transformer, unless you've tried others).

Regarding the discharge time - that's another story and will require additional information, and is best dealt with once you can get a full charge on the phone.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

James Richards1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I have the same issue intermittently, doesn't matter what charger. If we shut phone off they charge slowly, but vibrate every few seconds. I have found if I pull the batter and wait a minute or so, put it back in, it charges fine. Wish I could find a better solution, but for now at least it works

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I have the same issue intermittently, doesn't matter what charger.
And you've tried different cables?
If we shut phone off they charge slowly, but vibrate every few seconds.
You mean if the phone is powered off completely?

Once the phone is fully off, if you connect the charger do you see a static battery graphic, followed by a different graphic showing the current battery level and charging activity?

This vibration that you mention is totally uncharacteristic - it shouldn't be doing anything like that.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

Daz_at_wr9

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
OK. new to this site so if this post relates to a similar issue could someone please re post it!

Re the charging issues.
I had an issue with my S3, not charging, I don't mean slow charging but NOT charging.... the charge icon not showing.
If I moved the charge plug around it would come on and start to charge which indicated a problem at the charging port..
I cleaned out the port (after removing the battery to prevent it shorting) with a needle.
This didn't solve the problem... I took the phone apart to see if there was a break in the connections from the charging port to the circuit board
Unfortunately as the connections are so minute you cant make them out without magnification. So I couldn't rectify it this way

The way I DID solve it was to cut a strip of PLASTIC approx 5mm wide and 30mm long
I used plastic from a milk bottle (empty one of course).
I used plastic because I initially tried cardboard but this kept leaving bits in the charge port.

The strip needs to go into the charge port UNDER the charge connection spade, (the opposite side to the contacts)
What this does is it makes a tighter fit for the charging plug. and it works every time

You can simply use the strip every time you charge the phone but you'd prob end up losing it and having to cut a new strip.
What I did was to take off the back and remove the battery, kink the plastic strip so it fits into the charge port and then bends around to fit inside the phone case behind the battery, relocate the battery which then holds the strip in place. replace the phone cover.
The plastic strip is now held securely.
The charge plug although a little tight to fit in, works 100%

OK this doesn't fix the problem, but if it is the charging port that has worn it is a cheap fix, your alternative is to have a new port fitted.

Another option which I am doing is changing the back cover to a wireless charging one, This has a coil fitted in place and the phone is simply placed on a charging dock and charges wirelessly, which obv removes the need for the charging port to be used.

Hope this works for some of you..
Let me know if it does..

joshkeller

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
im having the same problems with my galaxy s3. ive tried aat least 10 different charger combos. they all read as charging, but the percentage will not move the majority of the time. once in a while it will register a charge by the battery percentage. no rhyme or reason to get it to work - usually just plug in a cord and wait a few minutes to see if its gone up. will a wireless charger help with this,or is it time for a new phone? ive tried the resets, etc. its been acting up since android updated a few months ago. the phone last all day if i can get it to charge - it just seems weird that i can even tether the phone with my laptop and share the data connection, swap photos between phone/computer - it just wont increase the % on the charge indicator.

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
will a wireless charger help with this
Hard to say - if the problem is the micro-USB port then it will, since it bypasses that altogether. If the problem is the charging circuit in the phone then you're SOL.

Have you tried a replacement battery?

poemsme

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Try to use this guys, this charging dock is specially for our s3. when I want to switch battery just pull out the battery and let the phone and battery cool down about 2-5 minutes. I've been use this about 9 mounth and never facing any problem.

u5usavud.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

joshkeller

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
i have tried a replacement battery. it charged up to 90% and then the charging light went off - now phone have no charging at all nor does it sync with the computer anymore. Replacing batteries every night/morning and charging with a dock is not an option, as its far too inconvenient and i sometimes go 2 weeks at my hunting lease with only 12v power and dont want to lug around a ton of batteries.

jimcarrey

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Guaranteed solution :)
What you need to do is...just replace your USB charging cable with the same new one or of others mobile and you are done. I had a same problem bt Now i am having a fast charging with blackberry USB charging cable attached with samsung charger. It really works!! Have fun :-D

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
now phone have no charging at all nor does it sync with the computer anymore
In post #289 you said that the computer could see the phone; suddenly that's not working any longer? If you've tried different cables then it's almost certainly your micro-USB port: it's either gunked up (so that the cable isn't clicking into place, or the pins aren't making contact) or needs to be replaced.

A wireless charging solution would get by that issue, and you could use a wireless file manager to transfer files between the phone and your computer.

joshkeller

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
wireless charger works fine. for file transfer, i just save to the micro sd card and turn off phone, remove and put in computer. took it in to a shop and the usb port was bad, and likely wont be fixable since two of the "fins" were missing underneath the port. Ordered a new used board off ebay with a garunteed clear esn.

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a i9300 and lately have been having this charging issue as well. My phone is 1 yr old. No firmware upgrades and not rooted. I've tried different chargers. Different USB chords. Got a brand new battery. But the phone doesn't charge like it should. Overnight it was plugged in but only charged up to 50%. I had it plugged into the computer and there was no change. The computer acknowledged the device but still didn't charge the phone well. While the phone is plugged in with the wifi or data on it will either just stay in one place or the power will slowly drop. So, the cable isn't the issue nor is the battery. Do I need to change out the mini usb port, get the wireless charger, or is there a internal fuse or something that can be jumped. Like everyone else I use my phone all the time at home and for work. Right now my wife's S3 (bought at the same time) charges my battery and I use it. Another reason I know its not the cable or battery. I love the Samsung galaxy's but this is upsetting to see so many people having a similar issue.....Thanks......

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Do I need to change out the mini usb port, get the wireless charger
It's quite possible that it's a problem with the micro-USB port. If you get a wireless charging solution then you bypass that interface.

TechyJew

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm a year and a half in, and have already ordered 2 anker batteries with the dock charger.

I've got hooked on speed charging it with my nexus 7 charger. Its so fast,but seems to drain quick too, but don't they all...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Felipe Araujo

May 6, 2014
Visit site
My S3 also has the same problem. Stopped charging properly with some cables. I have two Nokia microUSB cables, and only using these cables the S3 charges correctly.