My S3 froze - now it won't boot? WTF?

striff88

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I have an s3 that has been rooted running a custom rom perfectly for about 5 months.

Today I was using my phone and it locked up - totally froze..screen was frozen and everything was unresponsive. So I pulled the battery.

When I put the battery back in my phone displayed the Samsung logo and after that just displays a black screen.

I can put the phone in download mode, however it will only be on the download screen for about 3 seconds before the phone either turns off or the screen goes black.

The really weird thing is, when I put the battery into my phone it will instantly boot up (I don't have to hold download the power button). The power button is NOT stuck in the down position.

I know the battery is charged. So what in the hell happened? I don't know if my phone is bricked or not. I could re-flash it but I can't do anything in download mode because of it turning off.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could try booting into Recovery mode instead, and wipe the cache/Dalvik cache, just to see if that makes any difference. Or go straight to a Factory Reset.
Sounds like something got corrupted when the phone froze.
When you put it in Download mode, if you then immediately connect it to your computer, does the screen still turn off?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4