Massive problems with 4.3 update (urgent help needed)

mjbickford

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I just received the 4.3 update OTA on Sunday, and now i have MASSIVE problems with my phone.

my battery is draining rapidly, i cant access any files- My files freezes my phone, i cant download apps, or files from emails, my camera cant save photos, gallery freezes my phone, it reboots randomly, and vibrates randomly. I cant even connect to a PC

Sprint recommends a clean wipe, but there are files i don't want to loose. the easy answer is "you should have backed up first" well... i would have had i known it was doing a massive update. i didn't get any warning it was going to download, let alone break my phone.

is there any work arounds to get my files off the internal storage, or a new rom onto the sd card to then recover, or even a sideload of a file management app which might be able to read my internal memory?

I do not have a PC at home to work from, only an adroid tablet. and my phone is my only Internet source at home.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, lousy welcome to the forums.

The only thing I can suggest that won't tamper with your data is to clear the system cache in Recovery mode. That may help with the rather unusual problems you're having.

A Factory Reset is a wise course of action following a major update, so once you do get your data backed up it would be a good thing to do.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You could try downloading ES File Manager, or FX File explorer. But if you have a friend with a PC who will download and install the Samsung drivers for you that might be the best bet.

You might first try booting into recovery and clearing cache. You won't lose any data, and it might help.

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to flash an older ROM via Odin. That WILL brick your phone.

mjbickford

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
You could try downloading ES File Manager, or FX File explorer. But if you have a friend with a PC who will download and install the Samsung drivers for you that might be the best bet.

You might first try booting into recovery and clearing cache. You won't lose any data, and it might help.

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to flash an older ROM via Odin. That WILL brick your phone.

I tried downloading drivers at work, but the PC isnt wanting to recognize the phone. it shows up in the control panel, but i cant access anything on it.

downloading and installing file explore programs is complicated as the phone wont download anything. it wont access any file systems without freezing. it can be booted into recovery, perhaps ADB can get a program on?

I cleared the cache, but nothing changed.

can i reinstall 4.3 over the top of the current version similar to how older windows OS sytems can be fixed?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
perhaps ADB can get a program on?
If USB debugging is turned on then you should be able to use ADB to install an application. You should check the syntax but I think it's 'ADB push filename.ext'

You might even try logging into your Google account through a web browser and install a file manager there - that might get pushed to the phone successfully.
can i reinstall 4.3 over the top of the current version similar to how older windows OS sytems can be fixed?
You could try that, but obviously the computer that you connect it to has to be able to recognize it first. You could use the Kies software or Odin (if you can find the firmware release somewhere).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Do you have an external SD card? If so, you could try copying the apk for a file manager program to the SD card (on your PC), and then sideload it. Come to think of it, you might be able to email the apk to yourself, and install it from the attachment. If you think that might help, I'll see if I can can copy and send the apk. PM me an email address.

Similarly, you could copy the 4.3 ROM from xda to an SD card, and try to reinstall it through recovery:

[OTA ZIP] OFFICIAL 4.3 update zip [HAS KNOX BOOTLOADER] - xda-developers