Galaxy S3 completely bricked after firmware update

mackdaddy3000

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

My girlfriend did an over the air update of the firmware on her perfectly fine and functional Galaxy S3. The update reached 100% and rebooted but hung at the Samsung logo forever and continues to do so.
The phone is able to start in the recovery menu (vol up, power and home) and also the download menu (vol down, power and home).
So far I have tried:
1. Wiping the cache and rebooting
2. Factory reset and rebooting

Neither of these helped and the phone still does the same thing.

There is also another problem - Kies and Odin both don't detect the device when it's connected to my PC in download mode - which you need to use to run Kies firmware upgrade and initialization or use Odin to flash the firmware on there.. I've tried on a couple of different computers and the USB cable definitely works as it connects my identical S3 with no problem.

Anyone have any advice? Or is the phone just completely ****ed?

Any replies appreciated, thanks :)

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

My girlfriend did an over the air update of the firmware on her perfectly fine and functional Galaxy S3. The update reached 100% and rebooted but hung at the Samsung logo forever and continues to do so.
The phone is able to start in the recovery menu (vol up, power and home) and also the download menu (vol down, power and home).
So far I have tried:
1. Wiping the cache and rebooting
2. Factory reset and rebooting

Neither of these helped and the phone still does the same thing.

There is also another problem - Kies and Odin both don't detect the device when it's connected to my PC in download mode - which you need to use to run Kies firmware upgrade and initialization or use Odin to flash the firmware on there.. I've tried on a couple of different computers and the USB cable definitely works as it connects my identical S3 with no problem.

Anyone have any advice? Or is the phone just completely ****ed?

Any replies appreciated, thanks :)

If you're able to go into download mode it is not bricked. Plus when in ODIN turn KIES off entirely... Because having both on does NOT work.

Sign up on SamMobile | Everything for your Samsung Mobile, find your device latest firmware (Don't know if you have LTE version or not) and ODIN it.

KIES Firmware recovery is crap IMO. Any other questions feel free to ask

mackdaddy3000

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
If you're able to go into download mode it is not bricked. Plus when in ODIN turn KIES off entirely... Because having both on does NOT work.

Sign up on SamMobile | Everything for your Samsung Mobile, find your device latest firmware (Don't know if you have LTE version or not) and ODIN it.

KIES Firmware recovery is crap IMO. Any other questions feel free to ask

Hey, thanks for the reply :)

I have already downloaded the appropriate firmware to try and ODIN it, but as I said before - neither ODIN nor KIES will detect the phone when in download mode, so I can't put it on there. It's only when I connect the phone when it's displaying the Samsung logo that there is any detection. As soon as I put it in download mode, ODIN says the device has been removed.

EDIT -- I have not had ODIN and KIES open at the same time, just to clarify

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
As soon as I put it in download mode, ODIN says the device has been removed.
On that same computer, what happens in Odin when you put YOUR phone in Download mode and connect it?

What version of Odin are you using - v3.07?

Note that unlike the previous poster, I have not had a bad experience with Kies - I've used it to reflash my phone several times. And it doesn't matter if Kies says it's not connected - just select the second item in the Tools menu ('Firmware update and initialisation' IIRC), input the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI and it should do its thing.

Note that if the phone completed the update to the 4.3 firmware, you'll have to use Kies v3 (you can tell pretty easily - if the 4.3 firmware 'took' you'll see a line that says 'Warranty Bit: 0' in the Download mode information).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

mackdaddy3000

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
On that same computer, what happens in Odin when you put YOUR phone in Download mode and connect it?

Odin detects my phone when in download mode, but not hers.

What version of Odin are you using - v3.07?

v3.09.. Will downloading 3.07 make a difference?

just select the second item in the Tools menu ('Firmware update and initialisation' IIRC), input the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI and it should do its thing.

Have done this already - the "start upgrade" button remains greyed out when the phone is in download mode, I guess it's due to the same reason Odin won't pick it up either.

if the 4.3 firmware 'took' you'll see a line that says 'Warranty Bit: 0' in the Download mode information).

There's no line that says Warranty Bit: 0

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There's no line that says Warranty Bit: 0
Oh, so did you use Kies v3 or Kies v2.6?

I don't think it matters what version of Odin you use; I've just used v3.07 out of habit.

Very strange that the phone is booting into Download mode yet is not recognized. I guess if nothing else pans out you could try a JTAG service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

mackdaddy3000

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I managed to get kies and odin to detect the phone in download mode by wiggling the cable around a bit - i think the phone's port is a little screwed since the cable works ok with my phone

So i finally managed to get kies to try to run the firmware upgrade and initialization but it just hangs at 0% and gives me an error.

Tried Odin and it hangs at the getting PIT for mapping stage for a while and then fails.

Gonna purchase a new cable from somewhere and try it again but if that doesn't work i'm really out of ideas :(

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I managed to get kies and odin to detect the phone in download mode by wiggling the cable around a bit - i think the phone's port is a little screwed since the cable works ok with my phone

So i finally managed to get kies to try to run the firmware upgrade and initialization but it just hangs at 0% and gives me an error.

Tried Odin and it hangs at the getting PIT for mapping stage for a while and then fails.

Gonna purchase a new cable from somewhere and try it again but if that doesn't work i'm really out of ideas :(

Could also be the plugin on the phone itself I had problems with that myself too laying it a certain way or even (when plugged in phone) push it up or down a bit could help.

mackdaddy3000

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Thought I would update - Problem was solved by buying a new cable...

If only the cable hadn't worked at all, I would have found out the source of the problem a lot sooner!

thanks for your replies guys :)

nac2103

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
hii
I m having same problem after firmware update the phone rebooted and Samsung logo and led blinks continuously.....

Can you please tell me the steps and procedure u have done to rectify this problem...

Also give me the links if any software's needs to be downloaded in the computer and then phone needs to updated.

Give me the detailed information..

Thank you..Waiting for your positive and fast reply...

Joshua Bolt1

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 Rooting - solved

Hello,

So I came across a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Metro PCS. A friend gave it to me and it had his old sim in it. He could not remember the lock screen code, so I followed instructions to factory reset phone and now it is stuck on the Metro PCS screen. Any ideas would be very appreciated.

chown kevinn

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
ok dont worry about it first of all
go to sammobile.com and check the firmware of ur device model and download it
find de setup of ODIN v3.09 and install it
download the samsung usb driver and install it
now run odin
plug ur USB CABLE ( the rignt one )
go to download mode of ur s3 mode ( power botton home bottom and volume down at the same time )
plug ur usb cable on ur phone odn will recognise it if not try again
now select API(only) and insert ur tar.md5 file
press start
u will see the progression on ur phone and odin at the same time
after u will see PASS in odin
now ur phone will be restart automatically
and then unplug ur usb cable
ENJOY UR PHONE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members