Galaxy S3: Yet another boot loop :(

heba.zaghloul

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

My Galaxy S3 has weathered a lot of storms with me. Dropped it numerous times and the screen is shattered all over the place. Also dropped it in the sink with running water once, but a bowl of rice saved it. A few days ago I dropped it literally two feet from the floor... but that was the straw that broke the camel's back. It has since been stuck in a boot loop and there is no way to even turn the phone off and stop the boot loop other than to let it run its course until the battery died. Once the battery died, I charged it till it was fully charged. Then I have tried booting in download and upload mode (isn't that what they are called? Home+Power+Volume Down/Up) but after the S3 logo screen, I get the screen with the Android dude lying down (sorry, I don't know what it's called!) for ~2 seconds and then reboots and gets stuck in the loop again.

I don't care about the phone itself at this point, I have already bought a new one. But there are pictures of my daughter's first birthday on that phone that haven't been backed up that I really, really, REALLY want to recover. I have searched the forums and saw something about a USB jig, but I think my phone needs to have been rooted for that? It isn't. Is there anything else? Please don't tell me to do a factory reset, my only goal here is to get those pictures.

Thanks!

P.S. I am really sorry for the repetitive post, but I have followed steps from a lot of other posts first. Any new advice is more than welcome!

ETA: I forgot to add that while the phone charges, it loops too. First the empty battery with a turning dial, then the escalating green bars to indicate that it's charging, then after 2 seconds it turns off, then back to the first screen with the empty battery. Yup, it's bad. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Yet another boot loop :(

Sorry to say, but I think the last fall damaged some of the chipsets. If you can't stay in recovery or download mode, then I do not think there is anyway to recover your photos.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

When you take the battery out and reinsert it, does the phone turn itself on?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Ah! Sounds like the Power button is stuck down, or the actual Power switch on the mainboard is jammed.

Some people have reported success by smacking the phone against something that's firm but not hard (the palm of your hand?).

I would try to gently pry the Power button (the little plastic piece that we press on - careful; it just has two plastic legs that hold it in) out and see if that corrects your problem.

If it doesn't then you'll have to take the phone apart and examine the actual Power switch - it may have gotten jammed down or just quit altogether. The part is inexpensive if you know someone comfortable with soldering. Or you could try http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-power-button-repair/

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

heba.zaghloul

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

I would try to gently pry the Power button (the little plastic piece that we press on - careful; it just has two plastic legs that hold it in) out and see if that corrects your problem.
I pried the power button out but it's still rebooting. I have also confirmed that it is the power button because when I press Home+Volume Down without pressing the power button it and it goes into download mode for a few seconds. Now what?

heba.zaghloul

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

Also, if I use a small screw driver to click the white power button that is inside, I can.. As in, the button will go down and up. So I think the problem is in a deeper layer?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

So I think the problem is in a deeper layer?
I'd have to disagree with you based on the number of people that are having this problem - I think it's a cheap part that is giving out way too soon in the life cycle. Unfortunately, the only way for you to find out is to remove the actual Power switch from the mainboard. One person actually broke the switch off (which solved his problem) but that's a bit extreme. If you can find someone to de-solder the switch that would be ideal - at worst, if that doesn't solve the problem they could remount the same switch; if it does, you can leave it off until you can obtain a replacement, and in the meantime there are other ways to turn the phone on and off.

heba.zaghloul

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

I just pulled the battery out, blew into the power button's hole for a bit and then put the battery back in. Poof! Like new! Thanks for all your help, GSDer. I couldn't have done it without you!