Random battery power problems

wrburg

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a rooted jellybean S3 that will be two years old in August, and in the last 6 months I've had the charging port replaced, and I've replaced the battery. These problems I'm going to mention I've had with both batteries, so I don't think that's the issue unless they both completely died on me at the same time. For starters, it discharges at an accelerated rate.. and I don't mean if I'm sitting there using it, it will go down 1% less than every 60 seconds. I've somewhat fixed this by underclocking my phone down to the slowest possible (384mhz?) but of course now it runs poorly. I've left my phone charging over night, to wake up to see it 100%, unplugged it, went to the bathroom, went upstairs to talk to my wife, came back downstairs to see it at 45%, then left to go to the store and half way there it was at 25% (this was before slowing it down). Sometimes when it's plugged in, it still discharges.. using Battery Monitor Widget I've noticed that sometimes when it's plugged in it uses MORE power than when it's not. Turning it off to charge it has no real effect either. It doesn't feel super hot. I should also say that I did a factory reset the other day to remove any potential problems with something I've downloaded and it didn't change anything. Looking at my battery stats in settings I'm getting my screen at 46%, android os at 17%, android system at 14%, android media server at 8%, and everything else well below that. Any ideas? Thanks for any and all help

wrburg

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Alright, not sure how relevant they will be my phone has been plugged in and actually charging for the past while. And to add, the reason it stops charging at one point is because it overheated (sitting by a window, sun light moved on to it a while ago and it got hot). I'll post some more later too.

Screenshot_2014-04-29-12-28-34.png
Screenshot_2014-04-29-12-29-09.png
Screenshot_2014-04-29-12-29-37.png
Screenshot_2014-04-29-12-29-58.png

This one was taken two days ago

Screenshot_2014-04-27-10-47-47.png

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

You're right that those data points are useless. You need to first fully charge the phone, then let it run down below 30% or so and capture the three main screenshots.

And generally speaking, if your phone doesn't fully charge in about 2 hours when it's turned completely off, there's something wrong with either the battery or the phone.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
GSDer is right, and I should have mentioned that. Even so, that sudden drop is very odd. Did your phone reboot at that point, by any chance?

There are no unusual wakes that would cause that rapid drop, and even if some app were running out of control I would expect to see a vertical drop like that. I kind of suspect a hardware problem, either phone or battery, to see that kind of drop.

After your factory reset, did you let an app like Titanium Backup, or even Google, restore apps and data, or did you reinstall apps?

You said you're rooted. Are you running a custom ROM? If so, which? What sort of root-only mods have you done to the phone?

KGun12

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Thank god, I'm having the exact same issue with my phone. For some reason, it also charges better plugged in to a computer rather than being plugged in to a wall outlet. It's driving me crazy, I've replaced the battery and am hoping I don't need to replace the phone completely.

wrburg

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it rebooted, I wasn't watching it or anything but I didn't hear the usual samsung tone when it does start up. After resetting it I just reinstalled through google play, any data I care about I have saved on my sd card. No custom roms installed either, and TBH not much. I had it overclocked but it's been like that for over a year without issue. I set it down to the lowest the other day though and I've actually had no problems with it since then other than it takes forever to charge and runs slower than it should. I don't know why it kept popping awake at those times either, I'm pretty sure I had sync turned off at the time and all my apps closed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38