Galaxy S3 T999 Screen Cracked, Partially Blacked Out but Still Fully Fuctional

Johnny GetsItin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I ended up cracking the screen on my s3 for the third time (smh), and this would be the 3rd time me repairing this phone. The first time I dropped it on the street, only to find it ran over by a car. 2nd time I stepped on it while in the gym (smh, I know). This time the screen cracked when it dropped on my ethernet cable, go figure. And yes, I do have a protective case, its just that I have extremely bad luck with this phone. Not to mention this is a replacement phone from my previous s3 that was stolen while I was playing basketball, and it was the ONLY ONE stolen out a group of phones bunched together while everyone was playing.

Any who, I decided after paying way too much the first 2 times repairing the phone, that I will try repairing the phone myself. Both times, the screen was cracked and non-responsive to touch. However this time, the screen was cracked in the top left corner but still functional, which I thought "ok, still works so I can ride this out." However yesterday the screen started to lose a little bit of color around the cracked area, but still responsive to touch. Now the screen is significantly blacked out in the middle of my phone, but the screen is still responsive to touch. I am still able to use the phone, but I have this huge black blotch in my phone. The screen is still responsive even in the blacked out area of the phone.

Ok, sorry about the long explanation. My ultimate question is: in this situation, should i just replace the glass itself, or should the whole assembly (glass and digitizer) be replaced? I wasn't sure because of the blacked out area (even though my phone still recognizes touch in this area) if the digitizer should be replaced as well. Just looking to see if I should spend around $10 for glass replacement, or around $120 for LCD and Digitizer assemby. This would be the THIRD time and I'm not really trying to overpay someone for fixing this again.

Once again thank you for reading thru that LONG explanation, and I really appreciate all advice you guys can share with me.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If some of the display is blacked out, the LED display panel is damaged. Odds are you'll make it even worse trying to separate it from the glass (everything is glued together), but even if you don't make it worse replacing the glass won't fix the LED unit. I think you need to replace the entire assembly if you want a fully functional phone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Or you could just take the $120 that you're going to spend on a replacement screen assembly and apply it towards a new Moto X

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk