Why does my charging drop overtime?

xmax247

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Charging Current drops overtime.

My phone begins charging at 1000mA, according to the 'Charging Current' app.
After about 10 minutes or so, it begins dropping, and eventually reaches 100mA.
It charges fast as the start, as expected, but the charging slows down as the current drops, as expected.
I have tried a different battery and tried another phone's charger (One that can only support 700mA) And so it starts at it's max (700mA) And drops to about 200-300mA.
My concern is this magical drop that is occuring. Everything seems to work fine otherwise.
Any ideas what's causing this?

EDIT: Also, this doesn't happen if I let my phone be. (I have to plug it in, and no do anything on it while it charges)
if I begin using any app for a minute or two, the drops begin. And they do not come back up!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Charging Current drops overtime.

Welcome to Android Central! I believe it's normal for current to fall as any rechargeable battery's charge level rises. But you're saying that if you leave it alone, it will remain at the original current until it reaches 100%?

xmax247

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site

Yes, I have to specifically leave it alone as soon as I plug it in.
Examples to make this clear:
I begin charging it, I leave it alone. The current will remain a constant 1000mA till full charge.
I begin charging it, I start using apps. The current will drop to an extremely low 100mA AND will remain so until I plug it out and in again.
I'd be okay with it if it went back to it's original 1000mA current as soon as I lock the phone. But it doesn't, so in that case it will pretty much never charge as the current remains so low (100mA)

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Get rid of the charging app. All it does is provide you with something else to worry about.
Really

AC App on SGS3

xmax247

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site

That's not how you handle problems...
The only reason I got that app is to confirm my theory, because I noticed the phone wouldn't charge (It would just stall when plugged it, basically cancelling out usage just barely)
And I'll be sure to do that, B.Diddy.

Ice Surfer

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site

It's actually related to temperature. It starts at max and drops to the safe level quickly to not damage the battery. It's nothing wrong with the charger or cable. If it was cooler it would stay at max forever. Keep it cool ❄❄;-)

Last edited: