How can I fix my battery?

marthaHoopkins1976

Aug 19, 2021
Visit site
I put my phone into medium power saving mode but the battery had a drastic charge drop. I have a samsung A01. I've given a timeline of what happened below:

4-6am: I was outside in 6°C so my phone was cold. I was using the phone while on power mode and experienced no significant battery drop.

7-10am: Spotify was the only app open at this time. The phone is still on power-saving mode. The temperature warmed up and I felt my phone warm up as well. The battery charge dropped by 25% in 3 hours. Normally under power-saving mode the battery charge drops by 7% when I only have spotify open.

10:15-12pm: I use VLC only and the percentage drops by 12%. I've used VLC under power-saving mode before under the same amount of time and the charge drop has never been more than 12%

The rest of the day the battery charge keeps rapidly falling until it reaches 27%. I only use spotify or VLC. I've used the phone on power saving mode with only these apps running and it has never reached this low.
Was the temperature change responsible for the battery's problem? How can I fix my battery?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Very cold temps can indeed affect battery life. 6 degrees Celsius isn't excessively cold, but I would charge it up to 100%, then see if the battery drains quickly when using it in normal temps.

The phone heating up on its own could also suggest poor cell signal. Do you recall how strong your signal was when that happened?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep calibrating it would probably do more harm than good, especially if your battery is already showing possible signs of problems :eek:

marthaHoopkins1976

Aug 19, 2021
Visit site
When the drastic drain happens is there a way to make the battery operate normally (normally meaning it drains slowly)? It's frustrating to have it drain by 30% in 2 hours and not have a way to charge it. I would like to fix it so that it drains normally even when the weather is cold.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it has to do with extreme temperatures, then the only thing you can do is try to bring the temperature back to the optimal temperature range.

If the cell signal is poor, then all you can really do is to turn on Airplane Mode and then turn wi-fi back on (assuming you have a wi-fi network available).

It sounds like you might benefit from carrying a portable battery around, so that you do have a way to charge the phone if it's draining.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
When the drastic drain happens is there a way to make the battery operate normally (normally meaning it drains slowly)? It's frustrating to have it drain by 30% in 2 hours and not have a way to charge it. I would like to fix it so that it drains normally even when the weather is cold.

Have you tried a factory reset? That's probably going to be your last option before it's time for a new phone :(