WiFi Calling- Think we're gonna get it?

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I see that the Galaxy S4 is listed as supporting it on T-Mobile's site, but I've also read that it's only in their branded phones.

It seems unlikely that Google would sell a phone that couldn't do it, but I don't know enough about what goes into the firmware under the covers.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I can't tell you if they will change how it is done in the future but right now it requires Tmobile firmware.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I see that the Galaxy S4 is listed as supporting it on T-Mobile's site, but I've also read that it's only in their branded phones.

It seems unlikely that Google would sell a phone that couldn't do it, but I don't know enough about what goes into the firmware under the covers.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

It's only for phones that they're selling directly. Not just any phone that is supported on the site. The Moto X was supported on the site as well, but T-Mo does not sell it.

And Google has never made a device with WiFi calling. I highly doubt they will add WiFi calling to the GPE S4 since it is carrier unlocked.

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
It's only for phones that they're selling directly. Not just any phone that is supported on the site. The Moto X was supported on the site as well, but T-Mo does not sell it.

And Google has never made a device with WiFi calling. I highly doubt they will add WiFi calling to the GPE S4 since it is carrier unlocked.

I was referring to this: WiFi Calling Phones | Cell Phones w / WiFi Calling Capability | T-Mobile

The Moto X isn't listed on there, but the branded S4 is. But I'm less hopeful about it today than I was yesterday.

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I know its not quite the same, but there is always wifi calling through hangouts.

We use VOIP at work, and I can use the app for Wifi calling, but it would have been nice for it to be more seamless and have my current T-Mobile number. Everything I've seen with the Hangouts app feels like a giant hack.