And...the AT&T S4 has a locked bootloader...

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
So who's going to take a nice walk to the HTC One forum with me? I'm sorry but I find this inexcusable. Samsung devices are known to have unlocked bootloaders on all carriers except for Verizon and now us AT&T users are being forced to deal with it. I enjoy custom roms. Not being able to install them is a huge issue for me. I know that eventually the bootloader will be unlocked, but it's possible that it could take months and, from what I'm told, AT&T has packed on the bloatware with the S4 in ways they never have on other devices. I've even seen some comments about the AT&T bloatware, along with Samsung's very own, actually bogging the device down. This is 2013 and I'm coming from a Nexus 4. Lag is inexcusable and, for me, a custom rom would be necessary almost immediately to improve the speed of the device if it really is that bogged down.

I was heavily considering the HTC One and the S4. My plan was to simply walk into my local AT&T store and make a very subjective comparison between the One and the S4 on the spot. But now I don't even think I can do that. Any device with a locked bootloader does not deserve to be an Android device, in my opinion. Android is an open source operating system and there is nothing open source about locking a bootloader. In fact, it's nearly as despicable as what Apple does to their devices with each upgrade. And if Samsung is going to be the new Apple (if the locked bootloader is even Samsung's fault; it could easily have been forced on them by AT&T), I don't plan on purchasing any more of their devices.

Anyway, I know this won't change the opinions of those who don't use custom roms (as far as I know, rooting is still possible with a locked bootloader), but it's a major deterrent to me. I haven't owned an Android device, other than my Nexus 7, that actually runs on its stock software. So, sorry S4 forum. I've been posting here a little and a ton on the S4 XDA forum since the S4's announcement. But this is pretty much it. I now don't think the S4 is the right phone for me and, if you're a fan of custom roms and development, it might also not be for you.

Source:
AT&T S4 MAY be bootloader locked. CONFIRMED according to Samsung - xda-developers

Last edited:

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
As others have mentioned in that thread, may take a week or two, but it will be rootable. Still not enough to push me to the One.

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
As others have mentioned in that thread, may take a week or two, but it will be rootable. Still not enough to push me to the One.

I realize that it will eventually be unlocked, but my problem is more or less with the fact that it is even locked to begin with. And I believe it took around a month to unlock the S3's bootloader.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing, all bootloaders on phones are locked. It varies from carrier to carrier how tight the locks are. There is a locked bootloader on each and every single HTC One except the Developer edition, and if it hadn't been for HTC providing the keys on their dev site it'd still be locked. It's not a matter of if a phone gets unlocked, it's a matter of when. The One would've been unlocked eventually, just like the S4 will. Not trying to dissuade you from purchasing the One because it's a great device, but buy the One because it fits what you're looking for more than the GS4. All three of your paragraphs tell me that had the bootloader of the S4 been unlocked you would've chosen it instead.

Luckily, I don't have to pick between the two.

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing, all bootloaders on phones are locked. It varies from carrier to carrier how tight the locks are. There is a locked bootloader on each and every single HTC One except the Developer edition, and if it hadn't been for HTC providing the keys on their dev site it'd still be locked. It's not a matter of if a phone gets unlocked, it's a matter of when. The One would've been unlocked eventually, just like the S4 will. Not trying to dissuade you from purchasing the One because it's a great device, but buy the One because it fits what you're looking for more than the GS4. All three of your paragraphs tell me that had the bootloader of the S4 been unlocked you would've chosen it instead.

Luckily, I don't have to pick between the two.

I'm aware that pretty much all phones have locked bootloaders, but as long as they are immediately unlockable, I'm fine with it. Prime examples are Nexus devices which are extremely simple to unlock because Google provides ways for developers to do it. HTC hasn't always been as generous, but they've really done well with allowing the HTC One to be unlocked before anyone really had it. But I don't see either of these two situations coming into the play with the carrier versions of the S4 that are locked. It will mainly be up to developers to find out how to unlock them and they will, but I'm sure the entire time they'll be asking themselves why they didn't buy a device that was easily unlockable by a source provided by the manufacturer.

Oh, and honestly I grew more and more pessimistic about the S4 as I read through the slew of reviews today. The only feature that seems to be undeniably better is camera performance in well-lit places. I've seen the shots and they're amazing. I'm sad that I'm giving that up. But the HTC One also provides something that the S4 probably won't do as well...great sound quality. And I'm not just talking about BoomSound. Through the headphones is what matters to me and apparently the One is unparalleled.

Last edited:

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure it will be unlocked, I mean the Snapdragon variant has already been rooted

You could try this: Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 Featuring Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 Processor Gets Rooted Successfully: Here

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your device using this process

The AT&T variant is the SGH-I337, I believe, so I wouldn't want to risk rooting it with a method for the 9505. Though the hardware differences are slim, each carrier changes things like radios and modems.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure it will be unlocked, I mean the Snapdragon variant has already been rooted

You could try this: Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 Featuring Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 Processor Gets Rooted Successfully: Here

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your device using this process
You need to remove that link. It flashes firmare for a different model s4.

Yes im going to get the htc one in the morning. When my s4 comes im taking it back to a at&t store. I dont play with locked bootloaders.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You need to remove that link. It flashes firmare for a different model s4.

Yes im going to get the htc one in the morning. When my s4 comes im taking it back to a at&t store. I dont play with locked bootloaders.

The link doesn't do anything more than present information. I just clicked it. I was taken to a webpage. It didn't try to magically flash anything to my computer. :)

It's been pointed out that the firmware and methods on that page aren't for the AT&T version, so I think keeping the link there is ok.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
So you would rather deal with s on mess with the One. Even with an unlocked boot loader they are still s on which means more hassle flashing ROMs imho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
For me I may wait for a developer edition of the GS4 for AT&T, since I am already waiting for the 32GB version on AT&T, I have time to ride out the locked bootloader issue and with luck by the time it arrives the bootloader will be addressed. Adam Outler and his team made excellent work on the GN2 for Verizon and my guess is there is likely an XDA thread going on putting together a bounty to get a GS4 for someone who has the abilities to crack the bootloader.

While the HTC One is a nice device, I just can't go with it. Sealed battery, no microSD, less than 5" display. Still time will tell.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
i just went out and bought the htc one full price today and i have to tell you this thing is awesome. great size, fast and the lcd is about the clearest ive seen. im going to compare it to my s4 when it comes today and decide which one i put on swappa. that and im sure ill get about $500 for my note 2.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
So you would rather deal with s on mess with the One. Even with an unlocked boot loader they are still s on which means more hassle flashing ROMs imho

Im taking a close look at the S4 even though I grabbed a HTC One as well.But just so you know the S-Off/ S-On is really starting to not be that much important..at least on the HTC One. According to this thread on XDA: [RADIO MOD] [APR 24] Radio Linker - xda-developers the S Off/ S On NOW only has to do with updating the HBoot. The Radio Linker Mod allows us the ability to flash different radios. We can now flash kernels and most of all we can flash International Roms as well with no issues. And if I read correctly last night before I went to bed, the ATT HTC One's radios are also interchangeable with the other HTC One variants.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure the SG4 will be a great device, no doubt. However, I have a feeling that because the International HTC One and the ATT HTC One (not sure about the T-Mobile and Sprint variant) is identical to one another, the Dev Support will be a little bigger. Not only that, but if for some reason HTC/ATT do indeed start locking bootloaders, there will be a lot more Devs out to get it un-locked again.

And if you visit the ATT HTC One forum over at XDA and think that it's kinda slow, that's because all us ATT members is in the International HTC Forums :)

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I've already flashed 3 different ROMs with S-On. Doesn't appear to be any issue or cause problems as long as you know what you're doing ;)

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just gotta make sure you remember the boot.img, amirite.

If it's a good developer, they'll give you the requirements and then you're good. From what I've seen, they let you know if you need S-off and if you need to do anything in particular with the boot.img file. I flashed the 3 ROMs with not issues and no messing around with the boot.img file. But I did see some where the installation is a little more involved. So this is where my statement "you just gotta know what you're doing" comes in LOL.

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
S-on is a nightmare with my Evo3D... it's kept me from flashing to a different rom. Thanks to all the developers who worked hard to make it easier though.

It seems like you're using this locked bootloader as an excuse to just jump ship. Locked bootloader is NOT a big deal. People get around it pretty quickly.

Oh, and honestly I grew more and more pessimistic about the S4 as I read through the slew of reviews today. The only feature that seems to be undeniably better is camera performance in well-lit places. I've seen the shots and they're amazing. I'm sad that I'm giving that up. But the HTC One also provides something that the S4 probably won't do as well...great sound quality. And I'm not just talking about BoomSound. Through the headphones is what matters to me and apparently the One is unparalleled.

Lastly, watch what you read in reviews. I've heard that the GS4 is just as good if not better with headphones.
Samsung Galaxy S4 review: Supernova - GSMArena.com
There are ways around the average volume, especially if you're going to be rooting (DSP Manager) or the cheap Volume+ app.

Just be aware when you're stating these things...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If it's a good developer, they'll give you the requirements and then you're good. From what I've seen, they let you know if you need S-off and if you need to do anything in particular with the boot.img file. I flashed the 3 ROMs with not issues and no messing around with the boot.img file. But I did see some where the installation is a little more involved. So this is where my statement "you just gotta know what you're doing" comes in LOL.

You should do that with flashing, generally. That's why I liked creating guides like my Don't Panic one (see below)--sometimes you need a certain level of functional knowledge before traveling down that path.