Question Unlocked Pixel 7 a No Go on Both AT&T and FirstNet

Carmanjelo

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
FirstNet subscriber here. Used debut of Pixel 8 to pick up an "Amazon Renewed" Pixel 7 (128 / Lemongrass) for super cheap. When I went to use the online "Bring Your Own Device" tool to move my eSIM onto it – I'm primarily an iPhone user – the process errored out and forced me to call my carrier.

Annoying, but that happens about 40% of the time, as I switch devices multiple times a month.

Long story short, 2+ hours on the phone with multiple customer service reps and we couldn't get the Pixel 7 activated. I even authorized switching my service from the pain in the a** that is FirstNet to mainline AT&T. Still no dice.

The last rep I spoke with admitted FirstNet is a cluster, but that an unlocked device should work on AT&T no matter where I bought it from. Things looked fine on his end, but when I go to SIM settings to download the eSIM, I get a "Scan QR code from T-Mobile" screen and the camera activates.

Does this mean the supposedly unlocked device is carrier locked to T-Mobile? Is there anything else I can try before returning it to Amazon?

Attachments

• Pixel 7.jpeg
    Pixel 7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Try Tmobile, see if it is tied to them in some way. Maybe the original seller still owed money on it.
Personally I would just return it. Sounds like a rabbit hole you'll regret going down later.

Reactions: Carmanjelo

Carmanjelo

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
My son’s physical SIM worked. Embarrassed that wasn’t the first thing I tried.

Got these instructions from the actual seller on Amazon:

We are so sorry that you are going through such an inconvenience. Please try the following steps to troubleshoot the problem. For unlocking Google Pixel:

1. Remove SIM card from the device. Factory reset phone.
2. Go through set-up process.
3. Go to Settings – Apps – All Apps.
4. On the three dots on the top right-hand side, tap Search – Device setup.
5. Mobile data & Wi-Fi – deactivate Background Data.
6. Go back – Battery – Restricted.
7. Go to home screen and pull screen down.
8. Press and hold Internet until it opens.
9. Select the desired Wi-Fi network.
10. Tap on gear on the right of your desired network.
11. Tap Network Usage – select “Treat as metered.”
12. Go back to home screen and insert SIM card.

My kid’s SIM worked before I did any of the above. Following those somewhat convoluted instructions didn’t change anything for setting up an eSIM, however. It still doesn’t work. This is weird, but I’m just gonna return the thing.

eSIM sucks!

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My son’s physical SIM worked. Embarrassed that wasn’t the first thing I tried.

Got these instructions from the actual seller on Amazon:

We are so sorry that you are going through such an inconvenience. Please try the following steps to troubleshoot the problem. For unlocking Google Pixel:

1. Remove SIM card from the device. Factory reset phone.
2. Go through set-up process.
3. Go to Settings – Apps – All Apps.
4. On the three dots on the top right-hand side, tap Search – Device setup.
5. Mobile data & Wi-Fi – deactivate Background Data.
6. Go back – Battery – Restricted.
7. Go to home screen and pull screen down.
8. Press and hold Internet until it opens.
9. Select the desired Wi-Fi network.
10. Tap on gear on the right of your desired network.
11. Tap Network Usage – select “Treat as metered.”
12. Go back to home screen and insert SIM card.

My kid’s SIM worked before I did any of the above. Following those somewhat convoluted instructions didn’t change anything for setting up an eSIM, however. It still doesn’t work. This is weird, but I’m just gonna return the thing.

eSIM sucks!
Every time I went from device to device with my Att sim I had to go to the store for them download a QR code so I just went back to sim card less headache

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You win!

I just switch between my iPhone and a Pixel 6. Thought I’d step up to a 7, but the Walled Garden is apparently moated with quicksand.

Thanks for the welcome, BTW.
Nah I don't win I just have obsession with phones :( lol

I do have some others like One plus but I don't use as much as those listed .

I've had Android and iPhones around same time , I don't mine the walled garden sometimes

Your welcome!

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000