Possible help on root

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Ive had my galaxy s4 since May I have been really wanting to root and flash the google edition rom to it.

I have been reading for weeks about the process I feel like im ready to take the plunge im just hesitant to do it

I want to do it so I don't lose the ability to root im still running the mdl baseband. Can someone please help me though the process?

Edit: I have the att galaxy s4

sent from my galaxy s4

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Ive had my galaxy s4 since May I have been really wanting to root and flash the google edition rom to it.

I have been reading for weeks about the process I feel like im ready to take the plunge im just hesitant to do it

I want to do it so I don't lose the ability to root im still running the mdl baseband. Can someone please help me though the process?

Edit: I have the att galaxy s4

sent from my galaxy s4

Read:
[GUIDE][INFO] The beginner's info thread (aka. the noob helper) - xda-developers

Then read:
[HOW-TO] The All-In-One Root/Backup/Flash Guide - [I337 & I337M] - xda-developers

Next I suggest you use this tool. I know it's different from the tool suggested in the above thread, but there are multiple ways to do things. The tool above gives you TWRP recovery...which is the latest and greatest...but the tried and true recovery is CWM. I've used this tool and it worked flawlessly. You can download the "slim version" and it will EASILY root your device and give you CWM custom recovery:
[TOOL](OneClick)Updated 7-8-13 ATT ROOT RECOVERY ODIN LOKIFYED - xda-developers

Once you're there, you just need to pick a ROM. My suggestion, if you want Google Edition, is iB4STiD's Kangabean 4.2.2 Google Edition ROM:
|ROM| |★.:KANGABEAN:.★| |ATT&CAN|►GOOGLE-EDITION◄|JB|4.3 + 4.2|LOKi'D|July.26.13| - xda-developers

He has a 4.3 Google Edition version in that thread as well...you can pick which one you want...but the 4.3 is not going to be 100% perfect since it's based on a leaked firmware. In the next few weeks, we should get access to the official 4.3 Google Edition for the S4 and you can be sure he will rebuild his 4.3 ROM with those files and you'll want to upgrade then. If you decide Google Edition isn't for you, he also makes two excellent Samsung Touchwiz-based ROMs: Goldeneye (international version that works great on AT&T phone) and MDOB (based on the latest AT&T MF3 update).

There's even a ROM out there that is almost untouched AT&T MF3...like the OTA you could take but it won't prevent you from rooting and changing ROMs like the OTA does.

I hope this helped!

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice
I guess the only part of it I don't understand is the backup and recovery process. Im trying to read and understand it

sent from my galaxy s4

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice
I guess the only part of it I don't understand is the backup and recovery process. Im trying to read and understand it

sent from my galaxy s4

Once you run that 3 in 1 tool, it will give you root AND CWM Recovery.

CWM Recovery can be loaded after a reboot and is run BEFORE the Android system loads...from that environment there are options to backup your device to either the internal or external storage. Once you do that, it will take like 10 minutes and create a 3 to 5 gigabyte backup folder with all your information. That's called a NANDROID backup. It's got your system, data, cache, bootloader all saved so you can restore it if anything goes wrong. You can even have a NANDROID of multiple ROMs that you've installed and RESTORE from that NANDROID, bringing you back to the exact state your phone was in when you made the backup in the first place.

It's highly recommended to keep your favorite NANDROID backup on your phone and also keep a copy of it (and copies of old versions, just in case) on your computer.

Once you go into CWM Recovery, you can navigate around and see what's possible. Simply make sure you have enough space on your internal or external storage, then choose to make a backup there, and it will do it automatically for you. That's step #1.