[AT&T][ROOT] New root method found for MF3 firmware!

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
This is not nearly as easy as using the motochopper exploit was, at least for now, but here it is:

New Root Method for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 (OTA FM3) (Mirror added) - xda-developers

WARNING: We now have root for MF3 but we do not have a custom recovery nor an ODIN image to get back to stock. If you root your device and soft brick your phone somehow, there is a good chance that you will not be able to fix it until (if/when) we have custom recovery and ODIN back to stock. BE CAREFUL!! Also, you will not be able to UNROOT for the time being either. UPDATE: There are possibly 2 methods available to unroot now: 1) Take your device to Best Buy and visit the Samsung kiosk and ask them to restore your phone to stock 2) The other seems to be working but not fully tested yet:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2432876

Also, without custom recovery, you cannot install custom ROMs yet. Give it time. Do not attempt to install a custom recovery or you will soft brick your phone and permanently (at least for now) lose all recovery, even stock. UPDATE: There is now a new method to install -some- custom ROMs using a brilliant method by xda user hashcode:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2428254

I still strongly suggest you avoid the MF3 OTA until it has the same access as previous builds: Root, Custom Recovery, Odin to stock, Bootloader unlock or exploit (i.e. loki).

If you want to learn more about rooting, custory recovery and ROMs, check this thread out:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...t-rooting-recovery-custom-roms-look-here.html

If you did not research enough and tried to flash a custom recovery after rooting your MF3 device, you might be soft bricked and stuck in download mode. Here's how to unbrick:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...y-flash-custom-recovery-now-soft-bricked.html

Last edited:

ajl

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this! Good to see, but I'll positively be waiting for custom recoveries.

Posted via Android Central App

jovyhernandez

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
so i my gs4 updated overnight, and i only got it yesterday! but i just rooted it using your method, thanks! i was curious as to why i cant install TWRP. i have an unlocked bootloader. or so i assume because it has the open lock logo

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
so i my gs4 updated overnight, and i only got it yesterday! but i just rooted it using your method, thanks! i was curious as to why i cant install TWRP. i have an unlocked bootloader. or so i assume because it has the open lock logo

It's definitely not my method for rooting - I'm just providing a link!

We only have root so far, we do not have the ability to install a custom recovery at this point...so keep waiting on that.

If you have an AT&T phone, you do not have an unlocked bootloader - no one has unlocked it yet. We've only found an exploit called "loki" that lets us pretend to have unlocked it...but that was patched with MF3 and does not work.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the stores have new stock with the patch installed or if its an OTA. I know Verizon was quick to re-stock the GN2 earlier this year with patched units and that pissed me off enough to drop them as a carrier.

chiya1

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Ive tried the steps and they never work. Ive tried 3 different sd cards, and 2 different phones. People in xda clam its the phone or sd card but i find it hard to believe. Here is to hoping another method comes along.

deserthi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It's really weird. I had my ATT Galaxy S4 unlocked and had recovery. Installed many roms then something went bad, Brought it back to stock with oden and now I have MF3 and can't do anything. I am a sad boy!!! I want to sell my ATT Galaxy S4 and get something I can root and install roms at will. Maybe the google version of the S4 as it's the only higher end phone I can buy that uses a external SdCard because I just don't want a phone without the ability to use an SdCard.