Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Hi guys. Im new to rooting (been jailbreaking since it was command line) and the only available root for my GS4 still has a locked bootloader. So my question is why even root when its locked? What can you even still do? This may seem very basic, but I've only had my phone for 2 weeks. :P
    Thank you!

    Verizon Galaxy S4 - VRUAME7
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nodnarb1028 View Post
    Hi guys. Im new to rooting (been jailbreaking since it was command line) and the only available root for my GS4 still has a locked bootloader. So my question is why even root when its locked? What can you even still do? This may seem very basic, but I've only had my phone for 2 weeks. :P
    Thank you!

    Verizon Galaxy S4 - VRUAME7
    Welcome to the forums.
    Rooting gives access to apps that allow you to do things you couldn't do otherwise. Like Titanium Backup allows you to back up your app data, and that is a root required app.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    I previously had a rooted nexus 7. So basically you are saying everything is normal, but no custom roms?

    Verizon Galaxy S4 - VRUAME7
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nodnarb1028 View Post
    I previously had a rooted nexus 7. So basically you are saying everything is normal, but no custom roms?

    Verizon Galaxy S4 - VRUAME7
    Typically you need to root in order to flash a custom recovery, in order to flash ROMs. Depending on the device, the boot loader may need to be unlocked as well.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. #5  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Along with being able to download a ton of "root only" apps, one of my favorite benefits to rooting is the ability to block pesky ads.
    Then of course custom ROMS..... :thumbup:

    tap'n
  6. #6  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Free tethering apps require root. Huge reason just right their.

    Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app
    CR6 likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Very true! :thumbup: Although they seem to be going the way of the dodo bird, as most of your newer ROMS just hack the stock hotspot app.

    tap'n
  8. #8  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    If my phone's bootloader is unlocked do I still need to root to install a custom recovery?

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise Against View Post
    If my phone's bootloader is unlocked do I still need to root to install a custom recovery?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Depends. Some phones need root to allow custom recoveries to be flashed.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  10. #10  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Depends. Some phones need root to allow custom recoveries to be flashed.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    Well I have the TMobile S4. Some roms say they include root. What does that mean?

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #11  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise Against View Post
    Well I have the TMobile S4. Some roms say they include root. What does that mean?

    Posted via Android Central App
    The ROM is already rooted. Once you flash it, you will be rooted. So all you need is a custom recovery.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    The ROM is already rooted. Once you flash it, you will be rooted. So all you need is a custom recovery.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    Ok, so can I just flash TWRP on my s4? And if I am already rooted would I still flash the rom like a normal rom?

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise Against View Post
    Ok, so can I just flash TWRP on my s4? And if I am already rooted would I still flash the rom like a normal rom?

    Posted via Android Central App
    As far as I know, yes. Which ROM?

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  14. #14  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    As far as I know, yes. Which ROM?

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    Infamous S4 rom. Saw a video that said root was included

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. #15  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise Against View Post
    Infamous S4 rom. Saw a video that said root was included

    Posted via Android Central App
    I more asked out of curiosity. Most, if not all custom ROMs are rooted.
    Give it a shot. Just make a Nandroid before flashing the new ROM.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  16. #16  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I more asked out of curiosity. Most, if not all custom ROMs are rooted.
    Give it a shot. Just make a Nandroid before flashing the new ROM.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    I thought ROMs needed root first? Ok thanks, so the TMo S4 doesn't need root for twrp?

    Posted via Android Central App
  17. #17  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise Against View Post
    I thought ROMs needed root first? Ok thanks, so the TMo S4 doesn't need root for twrp?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I think that is changing. Depends on the phone and carrier. Definitely custom recovery.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  18. #18  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I think that is changing. Depends on the phone and carrier. Definitely custom recovery.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    Alright, I think I'm just going to flash it like when I flashed CyanogenMod. Root > Custom Recovery > Custom ROM Had to unroot and send back when my screen cracked

    Posted via Android Central App
  19. #19  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    To flash a custom ROM you need root access..... here's a guide for ya.



    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  20. #20  

    Default

    One more question, are custom recoveries carrier and phone specific?

    Posted via Android Central App
  21. #21  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise Against View Post
    One more question, are custom recoveries carrier and phone specific?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I think they are.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  22. #22  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I think they are.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    They are, found an AT&T one and almost flashed it

    Posted via Android Central App
  23. #23  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise Against View Post
    One more question, are custom recoveries carrier and phone specific?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yes they are. The two most popular recoveries are TWRP and CWM are easily installable. If you want TWRP, download the app GooManager and if you want CWM, download the app ROM Manager.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  24. #24  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Ingram View Post
    Yes they are. The two most popular recoveries are TWRP and CWM are easily installable. If you want TWRP, download the app GooManager and if you want CWM, download the app ROM Manager.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    I didn't use goo manager. Just flashed twrp lots of roms say not to use goo manager for some reason

    Posted via Android Central App
  25. #25  

    Default Re: What is the point of rooting if its an unlocked bootloader?

    TWRP is your best bet these days. Some folks have had great success with Goo Manager, but I don't bother with it myself. IMO, it's just as easy to download your Rom straight to your ext SD card and then flash it through TWRP.

    tap'n
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 03:49 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-16-2013, 09:11 PM
  3. Need help with an App....(left iOS to Android)
    By polaraman in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 04:11 PM
  4. Big List of Note3 Tips & Tricks
    By dayers in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 11:45 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 09:09 AM

Posting Permissions

B