Galaxy S4 SD card issue

adam.bean

May 31, 2013
Visit site
My Galaxy S4 is all of a week old and twice in that time my brand new 64gb SanDisk has resulted in my phone saying "SD card is damaged. Try reformatting it."

Gonna try returning it and not yet sure If I should try a different brand or not, but it's the most popular one on Amazon.

Lovely.

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a SanDisk Ultra, 64gb micro SD, XC and I get the unmount/mount errors on when i am looking at photos or taking pictures. So far it hasn't happened while I am listening to music. I have about 700 photos and 15G of music on the card. I have re-seated it, re-formatted it and prayed over it with no luck. I am going to contact SanDisk tomorrow and hope a new card does it. If that doesn't work, I'm going to spend the money again and get a Samsung card. I can't have my card unmount while I am taking photos!

junkmonk

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 64 Gb Sandisk ultra card. It was unmounting itself, loosing all data, also I was getting the card erased when rebooting the phone (not every time) so I contacted Sandisk and they sent me a new card. Guess what, the replacement card already got erased twice. Sandisk is again in the process of replacing that card. I am waiting for the second replacement card. DO NOT BUY SANDISK.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
These SD problems is why Samsung should ONLY be selling 32Gb and 64Gb S4 models. Internal memory writes THREE times faster and reads SIX times faster than a Class 10 SD external card plus its much more reliable. I'd rather pay for more internal memory than problematic SD external memory.

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
One note - I purchased a 32G card with my Thunderbolt a few years ago and that card worked great in the phone with no problems. I am following all of the steps that SanDisk asked me to do before they would send me a card by formatting the card and re-copying all of my stuff back on to it. I'd rather it just work but if need be, I'll take a new card.

sainthooligan

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I had also picked up SanDisk Ultra, 64gb microSDXC for my S4. I had a 32gb sandisk ultra in there prior to the 64. The 32 worked fine, no issues whatsoever.
When I put the 64gb, occasional unmounting,etc. and also lost some pics and vids of family.
Pretty irritated, but after trying several different things it worked alright for a day or more, then I'd get an unmount...sometimes rebooting fixed it, sometimes it fixed itself. Either way, had no issues with the 32 of the same brand/type, only with the 64gb and that was unacceptable to me...shouldn't be that much work for a card to be so finicky in the phone.
I was able to exchange it out for a Samsung 64gb pro for about $15 more. No further issues.

At any rate, a lot of folks want to try different "fixes," like unmounting, mounting, restarting, formatting here, formatting there, inserting, uninserting back into the microSD slot...but the truth of the matter is- if the fix was that simple or universal, there would be one solution for all.

Bottom line is, if you're having issues or have had an issue, I would highly recommend first backing up any data (and on a regular basis that you would like to keep, in the event that the card decides to take a crap) as well as contacting Sandisk to see if they will offer a replacement. These items aren't designed to be "fussy" and "hit-or-miss" - obviously something just isn't right.
I suspect there will be further issue to address when Samsung updates the S4 to allow for apps to the SD card and more folks are out there trying to buy larger cards (ie 64gb from Sandisk)....

All the other Sandisk products I have own have never, ever given me issue...just that doggone 64gb.

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I had mine for 3 weeks and the card died 2 days ago... Called Samsung, the clerk was very rude. Basically he told me that it was a card problem and that there was no reports about that issue... So we all are hallucinated. This his a major defect and Samsung wont admit it. I think I should have stayed with htc.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I had mine for 3 weeks and the card died 2 days ago... Called Samsung, the clerk was very rude. Basically he told me that it was a card problem and that there was no reports about that issue... So we all are hallucinated. This his a major defect and Samsung wont admit it. I think I should have stayed with htc.

Did you buy the SD card from Samsung? Also, do you properly disconnect the USB connection before unplugging your phone from your computer (using the Safely remove hardware and eject media feature)? Failure to do so can cause errors.

KnappyRootz

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I had a 32GB ScanDisk that failed repeatedly, but at least it would 're-mount', purchased a Polaroid 32GB (don't ask me why, frustrated I guess), and that gave me the "corrupt" message overnight while I was asleep and now it won't remount at all, probably corrupted, however, I'm at work now so I can't try reading it on my PC. Ordered a 32GB Samsung which should be here Saturday, I'll try that, if not I'll go back to my 4.5-5 year old 16GB card I had in my BlackBerry which was working fine.

What a mess this whole situation is...

Bethanie Lawler

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I was having issues putting music and videos on my SD card. I was using the 64 gb micro SD card. The problem is, they don't come in Fat32... They come as an Exfat...
Well Exfat doesn't work for videos and some MP3's for whatever reasons... So i came across this article ( Posted below) To change my SD card into a Fat32. SINCE, using that.. Now my music and my videos no longer corrupt.. and I haven't had a single issue with my SD card since.

X100S - Switching from exFAT to FAT32 on 64GB cards - DanyNativel

FORMAT YOUR SD CARD TO FAT32!!

sainthooligan

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Ok so an update to... http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/273035-galaxy-s4-sd-card-issue-2.html#post2852244 Well, I've been running the samsung 64gb card for a few weeks now- NO issues whatsoever. (and despite popular formatting of a card belief, I didn't have to format while hopping on one leg and looking to the East)...all i did initially was put the card in the phone and format it in the phone - it was good to go. So, so far - not one unexpected unmount or problem with it...It just works as it should. For the record, exFAT works fine on the S4, there's just something else going on with some of the 64gb sandisk cards. Possibly the type of chip used in some of them...
If possible, those having issue may want to consider taking screenshots (power button + home button) and sending along with your complaint to sandisk, if they say nothing is wrong. Certainly, something is. it would be nice to see Samsung provide some reasoning as well but I think the cards are more suspect than the device itself.

vibinx60

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
The issue exist in S4 Tooooo... the damn brought phone 2 months ago with the card.. and not this is the 2nd time I am facing this issue.
Have raised a case with sandisk for the same. Regretting for not listerning my friends word on this.. :( do anyone have a solution for this issue ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa