Weatherbug live wallpaper uses 5MB every update

Colonels

May 1, 2013
Visit site
So I was wondering why weatherbug was using roughly 120MB daily and it was because live wallpaper was set to update hourly and each update downloads 5 to 10 megabytes!

I set it to 3 hour updates and set the main app to refresh weather widget every 1 hour that only takes 1MB

Just thought I would share for those with capped data like me 5GB.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just curious but what's the reason you need the weather updated so often on the home screen? Certain line of work or something? I'm just wondering because I just check the weather once in the morning and I'm good for the day LOL.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just curious but what's the reason you need the weather updated so often on the home screen? Certain line of work or something? I'm just wondering because I just check the weather once in the morning and I'm good for the day LOL.

Just personal preference. I have a widget on my lock screen that updates once an hour. I don't mind knowing the temp out but I do also have unlimited data so not to much to worry about.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just personal preference. I have a widget on my lock screen that updates once an hour. I don't mind knowing the temp out but I do also have unlimited data so not to much to worry about.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Yeah I was wondering if there was something more than personal preference especially considering the toll it could have on battery and data. But hey, to each it's own LOL.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
We in IT consider Weatherbug to be a virus/malware. That's all I'll say 'bout that. :)

I don't and won't touch Weatherbug ever since their PC app gave my PC a nasty virus that almost killed it. Installing it was fine. It was when I attempted to uninstall it that the app-Nazis unleashed their Malware stormtroopers. Ain't touching it. I stick with Weather Underground, first choice, or pretty much anything else, 2nd choice. But don't touch Weatherbug. They may have changed, but I don't want any part of any company who thought it appropriate to do something like that at any time, even though my incident was quite some time ago.

Colonels

May 1, 2013
Visit site

well it is nice to get weather alerts before it happens, like thunderstorms, flood warnings, lightning storm, hail etc. i believe that data isn't "pushed" to the phone but rather downloaded at the specified interval so hourly is good for that.

the live wallpaper shows huge area several states so i guess that doesn't need hourly you can see the storm fronts already, its just cool too see what is coming your way i guess

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine updates hourly and I only do that from march to oct due to storm season, I like to get my watches and warnings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty