At&t S4 and Google Play music equalizer keeps turning off

iPhoneatWork

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Any music listeners here? Whenever I listen to streaming music with Google play music, the equalizer keeps turning off and the music goes flat. I have to pause the music and start again for the Eq to reengage. Anyone else listen to a lot of music and experience this?

nvkn13

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. One second I have great bass and highs on my Beats, the next second it just sounds bad. Really disappointing, so far. Can't find anymore info on this anywhere, either.

YourBuddy2

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue but found a workaround. The equalizer is actually built into the phone but utilized by Google Play music. It appears to have a flaw where it is killed by the OS because it doesn't have a persistent notification in the status bar at the top.

The solution is to replace it with a new equalizer, which has the added benefit that it can EQ other apps such as Slacker.

Here's how:
Download "Equalizer" in Google Play.

Then go to system settings, my device, sound, music effects. Set it to equalizer (not MusicFX).

You will find the new EQ is accessed from inside the Play Music app or can be configured as a standalone for any other music app without failure. Just don't disable the persistent notification icon inside equalizer.

PSBJ

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this issue on my Verizon Galaxy S4 as well. I've tried using a different equalizer and it works, but once the screen is off and the song changes, it turns off and there's no way to turn it on other than killing Play Music and reopening it.

Any ideas?

jyharris

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much. I implemented the suggestion and it seems to have worked. The integration with Google Play Music and Equalizer is very seamless. Thanks again!

:)

Richard W

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried the equalizer software and after 5 mins the same problem reoccured. It happens sometimes and not all the time so pretty frustrating.

Geordie Kev

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi - Ive just got an S4 and experienced the same problem with Google Play music. I tried the fix of downloading equalizer and setting it as default, but after 1 song it seems to reset again and my music sounds like a bee in a tin!

Problem isnt there when I use WinAmp.......

Anyone got a solution??

Thanks!

MrBrownstone

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue but found a workaround. The equalizer is actually built into the phone but utilized by Google Play music. It appears to have a flaw where it is killed by the OS because it doesn't have a persistent notification in the status bar at the top.

The solution is to replace it with a new equalizer, which has the added benefit that it can EQ other apps such as Slacker.

Here's how:

Then go to system settings, my device, sound, music effects. Set it to equalizer (not MusicFX).

You will find the new EQ is accessed from inside the Play Music app or can be configured as a standalone for any other music app without failure. Just don't disable the persistent notification icon inside equalizer.

Since the 'update' on my S4 this doesn't work or fix the EQ situation. No EQ works at all with Pandora or Spotify. Any other suggestions?

2A5X3C

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Here's how:

This solution has seemed to fix my problem. Using Google Play Music on Android 4.3 on Galaxy S4 active. Didn't realize it was the EQ that was turning on and off that made my volume jump up and down randomly, but this has certain fixed it. I splurged the extra $2 to unlock the app so I could save my own EQ's though. This alleviates a lot of headache.

If this doesn't work for you, make sure you are setting your music effects settings to Equalizer. Having a separate app to control the global EQ is really a great fix for a bug that shouldn't exist.

Tehcurry

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
This is an old thread, but I think I have a fix if others are still facing this!

First off, this issue is not specific to phone models, but Android in general. Sort of. I'm using an HTC One M8 Google Play Edition on AT&T and the stock EQ presented the same absurdly frustrating random shut-off. I tried installing a few different players and EQs to no real avail.

I then went through my Apps manager to start deleting those, and stumbled across a built-in "app" that didn't show on my apps list called MusicFX--the same plug-in that drives the stock EQ. After uninstalling all the 3rd party stuff, I went to the Play Store and searched for MusicFX and found this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.lifevibes.musicfx&token=jtiuD7Ez

I installed it (so it now shows up in my App list) and the EQ works perfectly! You still have to access the EQ through the settings of whatever music player you use, as opening the "app" will just tell you it's a plug-in. Either way, I've thrown a few different scenarios at it:

1. Unplugging and plugging in headphones
2. While headphones are plugged in, activate my A2DP headset
3. Plug in headphones while music playing through phone speaker
4. Switching tracks and albums
a. Within Play Music app​
b. With Play Music notification controls​
c. With Play Music lock screen controls​
d. With bluetooth remote​
e. With wired headset in-line controls​

I'm happy to report the EQ stayed on and kept my settings throughout ALL OF IT. Not even a hiccup. Booyah!

Hope this works for you guys, too!

BBQdave

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
First off, this issue is not specific to phone models, but Android in general.

...went through my Apps manager ...and stumbled across a built-in "app" that didn't show on my apps list called MusicFX--the same plug-in that drives the stock EQ. I went to the Play Store and searched for MusicFX...

I installed it (so it now shows up in my App list) and the EQ works perfectly! You still have to access the EQ through the settings of whatever music player you use, as opening the "app" will just tell you it's a plug-in.

I'm happy to report the EQ stayed on and kept my settings throughout ALL OF IT. Not even a hiccup. Booyah!

Huge Thanks for this fix :)

As a side note, make sure you go to System Settings > My device > Sound > Music Effects - and select the second listing of "MusicFX." This activates MusicFX (that you downloaded) across your system, and allows you access through the equalizer in the music application.

Additional: Sorry to say does not work with streaming. When accessing my library through Google Play Music (streaming) - the equalizer does not stay on, and I have tried many equalizers. No luck with equalizer functioning (though it is on) with streaming more than two songs. If I flip the equalizer off-on, then it will re-engage and work... for two more songs.

Kind of a bummer, would be nice to stream my playlists and have playback with an equalizer :(

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non