Memory Size and Dropbox

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new S4. ATT customer so 32gig is an option. I'm debating between the 16 and 32 but am worried about the memory.

I will be using dropbox to manage/upload my photos. I've read that, at some point, dropbox was changed so that it cannot reside on the SD card. Is that still true? Does dropbox double the photo count, or does it simply upload the photos to the cloud without storing a separate copy.

More directly, does using dropbox force me to store photos on the internal memory rather than the SD card.

Thanks for any advice.

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I save my photos to 32GB SD card with no problems. The are auto uploaded to Dropbox while on WiFi only (my settings). Photos stay in both locations, until you delete or move them on phone. I move photos on PC to Dropbox Camera Uploads folder and then they are exposed on S4. I can "Export" to S4 if I want.

S4 great phone, I love the whistle notice sound. Maybe that was there on S2 and didn't know it. 4.2.2 Jelly Bean has finally surpassed iPhone interface. I also like the slide-out menu for things you want on all pages, the 2 apps open on 1 page are cool two. Still want to tweak it to get apps that aren't in the default list, not sure if you can do that now?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The way it seems to work is that the Camera Uploads option just finds any pictures that are on your phone that aren't already in the Camera Uploads folder on Dropbox and uploads them there when appropriate. It won't delete anything on your phone or on Dropbox itself for Camera Uploads.

On my Gingerbread phone I installed Dropbox to save my photos. Using the "Camera Uploads" feature it found all of my photos on both the internal memory and SD card and uploaded them to Dropbox. It does not delete photos in the Camera Uploads directory if I delete them off my phone. In the Dropbox app on my phone, computer, the Dropbox web interface and my Jelly Bean (4.1.1) tablet I can view all of the photos stored on the Dropbox server. I've found I can "export" single pictures to either my internal memory or external SD card on my Gingerbread phone but have not found way to export multiple pictures or whole folders to my phone.

IIRC, there are sync apps you can find that offer more options if you want the pictures on your phone automatically deleted after they're uploaded, but it's not something the Dropbox app does (at least in GB).