Does s beam on the s4 work with other galaxy phones?

bergeronjc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying, for the last 30 minutes, to get s beam to transfer a picture (just one picture) from my s4 to my note 2. I turn on nfc, turn on s beam, put the phones back to back. The phones vibrate and don't do anything else. The little blurb on the s beam page says to tap the screen on the file you want to transfer and it will transfer it.
I tap the screen and our does nothing. I tap the screen a bunch of time and it zooms in on the picture.
I tried a video I took and a contact and a webpage. The phones do nothing.
Does s beam on the s4 just not work with other phones?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

bergeronjc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So any clue why nothing happens on my s4 or note 2 when I put both phones together and tap on the screen?

I just opened the music player on the s4, I paused while typing this to give it a try, I tapped on the s4 screen and all that happened was out started playing the song I tapped on.

Why include something on the phone this difficult to use?

alexxperia

May 28, 2013
Visit site
No we use Bluetooth WiFi and android beam and it was complicated the first time but now since we've done it a couple times it's easy

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

bergeronjc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No we use Bluetooth WiFi and android beam and it was complicated the first time but now since we've done it a couple times it's easy

All those are easy to use. It's just s beam that doesn't work. On the s beam screen it says to tap your screen and the app will transfer the file. Ask the sites I've found say the same thing, yet s beam does nothing on my s4 and note 2. I am absolutely baffled as to why.

alexxperia

May 28, 2013
Visit site
All those are easy to use. It's just s beam that doesn't work. On the s beam screen it says to tap your screen and the app will transfer the file. Ask the sites I've found say the same thing, yet s beam does nothing on my s4 and note 2. I am absolutely baffled as to why.

It all comes into the same thing we have to have all those things on to beam it

bergeronjc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It all comes into the same thing we have to have all those things on to beam it

But the thing is to transfer using wifi direct or bluetooth I have to click on the share button and select one of those. The phone specifically says "For example, you can beam image/video files from the Gallery just by placing the device back to back and tapping your screen."

When I place the S4 and Note 2 back to back and tap on the screen of the S4 or the Note 2 NOTHING happens.

Does S Beam on the S4 only work with other S4 devices and vice versa for the Note 2?

BeckyC78

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Here's what I've found:

My Galaxy S4 doesn't work at all with the Galaxy Note 2. I have two friends that have them and we can't exchange anything using S Beam. There is no vibration, or tap to send message.

My S4 can receive S Beam files from a Galaxy S3. I can't send anything to the S3 from my S4 though. The vibration happens, and I get the tap to send message, but tapping to send a file doesn't work at all.

I saw another post on Yahoo about the S4 to S3 problem. Galaxy s4, problems with s beam? - Yahoo! Answers

Very frustrating, since they brag about it on their commercials for recent Galaxy models.

Good luck, but I think bluetooth file transfer is your best bet.

~Becky

satannik

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I see you mentioned music, is that what you are trying to transfer? If so then it is impossible on an s4. That is their way of protecting copyrights and combating piracy.

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy S 4

rgarcia900

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I beamed some pics fom the S4 to the Note II yesterday without any issues... it is a little slow fo start the beam, then it transfers without an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using AC Forums mobile app

Kenji Miura

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
OH MY GOD HOW DID YOU DO IT o_O
The same happens to me! I tried transferring ANYTHING from my galaxy s4 to my friend's note 2 I didnt work..... I'm going to go ask someone from samsung right now.

bluwc

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
You can share music on your Galaxy. When I first tried, I tried to S Beam it to my wife's phone. It told me I need a subscription and took me to the app store. After doing more reading, I clicked the wifi in the drop down menu and clicked wifi direct. I did that on her phone and connected to it. I then went into the files folder, navigated to the music, selected 10 songs from the album and sent them to her. I also used wifi direct to send an album to my brother's S3. It worked great and no subscription needed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tested this as I don't have a Note 2 but I read someplace that there were some Samsung models and other devices from other manufacturers where the chip is not positioned at the same or nearby the position of the S3 and S4 and that if that's the case in order to Beam you must put your S4 almost at the top of the other device, so in other words, to move around the phone until you find the correct spot, it seems that the Beam signal won't reach if it's perfectly aligned each other.

ciniob

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a rooted S4 and a rooted Note 2.

I was able to transfer a pic and an apk via wifi direct from the
Note2 (sim card in) to my S4 (no sim card in).

I have not yet been able to transfer from either to either
using NFC, S Beam, and Android Beam.

I get the feeling the two devices just don't share.